how to copy and paste pitch bend on fl studio

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

how to copy and paste pitch bend on fl studio

Postby tadakatsu » 06 Mar 2013 16:44

Hi guys~i have question that how to copy and paste pitch bend on fl studio.i have read some website,but i couldnt understand well and problem occured on fl studio it says.so somebody would you tell me how to do? :oops:
tadakatsu

Re: how to copy and paste pitch bend on fl studio

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Mar 2013 17:08

It just requires that you create an automation clip for the pitch knob on the channel settings box:

Then you'll be able to automate the pitch as much as you'd like. You can increase the number of semitones modulated by increasing the number "2" that it right next to the pitch knob by any amount. Generally 12 or 24 are the most common.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "copy and paste pitch bend" though.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby tadakatsu » 06 Mar 2013 20:03

thank you for answer!i mean copy and paste is after i make pitch bend on piano roll,and i want to use same line of it on different event(another piano roll line).i know how to copy and paste piano roll melodies on another synthes piano roll.but pitch bend part is not copied on other synth`s piano roll.sorry if i explain bad :?
tadakatsu

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Mar 2013 20:11

Create an automation lane for the other sound's individual pitch bend, then copy over the original automation clip. That's how it works in my DAW, can't imagine it'd be much different.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Mar 2013 20:13

It's fine. I guess you just have to manually enter the pitch bending into piano roll again.

As for Nine Volt, don't listen to him >_> Sorry 9V, but I have never seen any two DAWs that are that much alike.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Mar 2013 20:26

And why would that not work, itroitnyah? You'd be doing the exact same thing you suggested, then copying over the original pitch bend clip into the new automation lane. Literally just an extension of your suggestion.

EDIT: Just tested it (in FL). You have to manually remake the pitch bend with the new automation clip (although I'm no FL master, there may be a more advanced way).
Last edited by Nine Volt on 06 Mar 2013 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Mar 2013 20:33

Well that'd be if you were using an automation clip. I think that tadakatsu is using the "automation" feature thing you see underneath the piano roll where you can control the velocity of the notes, but with pitch instead. If he's using automation clips like you're suggesting, then he can definitely use your method.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Mar 2013 20:37

Well, it appears that copying the automation clip will simply duplicate the automation clip for the original parameter it was automating. In Reason, automation clips are universal (ie, you can copy a clip from, say, a volume automation and use it to automate filter frequency or even a button just fine). That's why I was wrong. Looks like if he's using automation clips he'll just have to remake them by hand (unless there's a more advanced method I'm not aware of).

But I know what you're talking about, although Reason does not have an analogous function (to clarify: the section underneath the piano roll used for altering velocity is there, you just can't automate velocity from there). I'd assume that they'd be copied over as part of the stored data in the note itself, but if what he's suggesting is true, then it's not and that's pretty stupid.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Mar 2013 20:52

Well no, FL has the universal automation clips as well, and I'm not sure why that's relevant here, lol. So he could just copy over the automation clips.
but what I'm talking about is:

There's a little thing you can use underneath piano roll that can automate, I inferred that this function of the piano roll is what tadakatsu is using.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Mar 2013 20:55

Really? Because when I tried to copy over the automation clip for the pitchbend on the 3xOsc instance onto the Sylenth instance, it didn't work and copied over a duplicate of the 3xOsc pitchbend. I know that you can automate anything, that's not what I meant by universal just in case you misread my statement. Maybe I'm doing it wrong though.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Mar 2013 21:07

Oh, FL can do something similar where you can create an automation clip, and then right click on a parameter and click "Link to Controller", and you can select the automation clip you want to link the parameter to. So while you can copy automation clips onto parameters, we can link parameters to automation clips. Or am I not understanding what you're talking about very well?

The little automation thing beneath FL for the piano roll is restricted to the piano roll, and I guess works as its own automation (which can be useful for if you want the same synth playing two patterns at once, but only want automation to effect on pattern)
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Mar 2013 21:26

I'm asking if you are able to copy an already existing automation clip (ie one already assigned to a specific parameter) and assign it to a different parameter. From what you've given me I can assume that you'd be able to copy the preexisting clip and reassign its parameter somehow.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Mar 2013 06:40

Yes, you can copy an already existing automation clip and assign it to a different, or even another, parameter in FL.
itroitnyah

Postby tadakatsu » 07 Mar 2013 15:29

so the way i am doing for copy and paste is only for one piano roll and if i want to use that for different piano roll i have to do it again right?i think i should use automation thing and i can use that pitch bend i created on automation clip can be copied and pasted on different channel synth right?
tadakatsu

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Mar 2013 15:36

Yes, exactly.
itroitnyah

Postby FLAOFEI » 07 Mar 2013 15:52

Hold your horses everypony!!! It is posible!!!
I didnt read everything so you may well have solved it allready, but heres how you do it.

You can turn the automation you recorded into an automation clip by clicking the menue in piano roll, edit and at the botom "Turn into automation clip". If you recorded it from a controler its probably gonna have a shitload of points, I have heard of function to smothen out the curve to get less points, but I dont know where that function is.

If you then want to use it to control a different parameter you can duplicate the channel for the automation clip, right click your knob*, link to controller, and then select the automation clip amongst the internal controllers.

*pun intended
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Mar 2013 15:54

Wow, alright. Thanks for the tip, FLAOFEI
itroitnyah

Postby Foxtrot89 » 08 Mar 2013 09:27

That automation clip thing is convenient as hell. It's actually fairly simple to copy and paste drawn in or recorded automation. You right click the knob you automated, or find it in the "browse parameters" section and right click it, then you click "edit events." After that, if it's in the pattern you recorded the automation to, you can just press "Ctrl+a" to select all of the automation, then go to the pattern and/or other parameter you want to modify and press "Ctrl+v" to paste it in.

I never knew you could convert it to an auto clip though, which seems a lot more convenient.
Foxtrot89

Postby tadakatsu » 11 Mar 2013 21:51

wow that is very useful!thank you so much!
tadakatsu

Postby Seven » 18 Mar 2013 15:31

While we're in on FL and pitch: don't forget the pitch slide notes that works for any Image-Line native plugin. Not so exciting for other DAW users, or even if you're using third party plugins, but they seemed forgotten.

FL automation clips are universal. Just link them where-ever you want, though copy and pasting makes a mess to when you want change. To keep all clips from changing, I usually duplicate the clip and work from there. My projects usually ends up with about twenty clips controlling the same parameter. If only they could be simpler - It's making a mess in my channels. Que I prioritize organisation over creativity.

(I usuwlly end up with a ton of temporary mini-auto-clips and a few song spanning clips. Not that you guys really care anyways.)
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Return to Technique