Screamers

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Screamers

Postby Ptepix » 28 Feb 2013 09:54

Well specifically a dubstep screamer....I have always sucked nuts at making them....help me out?

I'm trying to make a good down pulse like screamer similar to the FIRST sound in the drop on Knife Party's Bonfire.

Cool
What is love?!
Ptepix

Re: Screamers

Postby cplbradley » 28 Feb 2013 10:19

use 2 saw waves, make first one +24 cents and second -24 cents. apply parabolic shaper with dry/wet and drive all the way up, scream filter, modulate pitch and cutoff. use 2 unison voices with spread all the way to full to give it that fullness. also add a small reverb for a bit of extra fullness
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Ptepix » 28 Feb 2013 10:35

cplbradley wrote:use 2 saw waves, make first one +24 cents and second -24 cents. apply parabolic shaper with dry/wet and drive all the way up, scream filter, modulate pitch and cutoff. use 2 unison voices with spread all the way to full to give it that fullness. also add a small reverb for a bit of extra fullness

Intersting...Ok cool that is close enough XD
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 28 Feb 2013 10:36

Sounds like the main kinda lead they use a lot. Two sine waves, one -24 semitones, one +24. Now either use a scream filter, turn up the cutoff, leave the scream at the centre, fiddle with the resonance and play around different octaves, or use the hardclipper, turn to full wet and adjust the drive. Basically two sines modulating each other (very basic FM synthesis) being distorted. Oh, cut the low end with an EQ.
Lavender_Harmony

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Ptepix » 28 Feb 2013 10:37

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Sounds like the main kinda lead they use a lot. Two sine waves, one -24 semitones, one +24. Now either use a scream filter, turn up the cutoff, leave the scream at the centre, fiddle with the resonance and play around different octaves, or use the hardclipper, turn to full wet and adjust the drive. Basically two sines modulating each other (very basic FM synthesis) being distorted. Oh, cut the low end with an EQ.

Cool...I'm assuming I'll want to add some extra mixing later to fully bring it out eh?
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 28 Feb 2013 12:28

Ptepix wrote:
Lavender_Harmony wrote:Sounds like the main kinda lead they use a lot. Two sine waves, one -24 semitones, one +24. Now either use a scream filter, turn up the cutoff, leave the scream at the centre, fiddle with the resonance and play around different octaves, or use the hardclipper, turn to full wet and adjust the drive. Basically two sines modulating each other (very basic FM synthesis) being distorted. Oh, cut the low end with an EQ.

Cool...I'm assuming I'll want to add some extra mixing later to fully bring it out eh?

Not really, the sound is pretty full on by itself. You'd most likely want to EQ stuff out of it's way.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/543014/KP%20Lead%202.nmsv

Theres the Massive patch.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby cplbradley » 28 Feb 2013 15:56

lavender you basically said what i said except used sine waves instead of saw waves

which i actually meant but for some reason said saw waves.

my bad.

that is pretty much exactly like the patch i made for one of my songs for that same sound
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby froggy » 28 Feb 2013 18:26

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Basically two sines modulating each other (very basic FM synthesis)

I assume you mean AM synthesis? As far as I can tell the frequencies aren't affecting each-other at all before the distortion stage, and in my understanding they wouldn't even be interfering at octaves apart.

ponies are homo
froggy

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 28 Feb 2013 21:06

froggy wrote:
Lavender_Harmony wrote:Basically two sines modulating each other (very basic FM synthesis)

I assume you mean AM synthesis? As far as I can tell the frequencies aren't affecting each-other at all before the distortion stage, and in my understanding they wouldn't even be interfering at octaves apart.

My mistake. I think I meant Additive Synthesis, layering two waves together, as you're not modulating the frequency of another wave with the original, you're layering two to alter the sound. AM is amplitude modulation, which is modulating the amplitude of a wave with another.

I derped. Note to self, don't post when you just wake up xD
Lavender_Harmony

Return to Technique