Zedd Plucking Sounds

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Zedd Plucking Sounds

Postby cyanLights » 20 Feb 2013 03:20

This may as well be a really noob question...but does anyone know how to emulate the plucking sounds that Zedd uses in songs such as Clarity and Spectrum?

Thanks in advanced. I'm having a real hard time emulating it and it's just frustrating me..
cyanLights

Re: Zedd Plucking Sounds

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 20 Feb 2013 07:01

Use any synth, sawtooth, a bit of unison maybe, and use an envelope on the filter, with zero sustain and a low decay. Low pass filter with no resonance. In Spectrum, closer to the chorus, he increases the actual filter along with the actual release of the synth (albeit with a low polyphony so notes of different chords don't overlap)

Also to note is the Spectrum value in Massive, coincidentally, by modulating that with the same envelop as the filter, you get a much warmer pluck, its what I always use.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Zedd Plucking Sounds

Postby HMage » 20 Feb 2013 14:46

Unisono detuned stacked saws with a lowpass filter envelope.

Dialed up one in Sylenth in 3 minutes.

Far from polished, but should be enough as a staring point and then make it sound like in Spectrum with enough sugar coating.

Recorded the process into Ableton project so you can see for yourself how it's done.

Ableton project: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/137524/temp/fo ... Lights.als

MP3 of the process, starting from init: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/137524/temp/fo ... ts.wav.mp3
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique