Headset suggestion?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Headset suggestion?

Postby Lcarens » 19 Feb 2013 08:03

I am going to be getting a new headset in a few days, but I'm not quite sure what to get. I've gone through two Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 headsets in the past four years, and I've gotten quite used to the over-the-ear style of the headset. I would like to get something similar, but with better quality microphone if possible.

I could get a pair of headphones and a microphone instead, but I would prefer a headset.
Any suggestions?
Lcarens

Re: Headset suggestion?

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 19 Feb 2013 09:22

There are no suitable headsets for mixing and there never will be. If you want to mix your tracks properly, get dedicated studio headphones.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby froggy » 19 Feb 2013 09:24

I assume it's going to be used for music production given this is in technique, right?

In the interest of sound quality you'd be much better off getting a good pair of headphones and a ModMic, IMO. What's your budget?
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby Lcarens » 19 Feb 2013 10:13

Alright, headphones and microphone it is then.
As for budget, I'm not sure since the headphones would be a gift from my parents, but I'd assume it's around $50.
Lcarens

Postby Conduit » 19 Feb 2013 11:16

I would start saving then, unless all you want to use the headphones for is Skype calls. A decent set of studio headphones will be at least 150, and a low end mic will be priced similarly.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Lcarens » 19 Feb 2013 11:27

I guess I'll just get something in the low end then, since I put all of my vocals through a bunch of vocoders and effects anyway. xD
Lcarens

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 19 Feb 2013 11:44

Get some sennheiser 280s, theyre the best low end closed backs on the market imho
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby froggy » 19 Feb 2013 12:15

I'd personally recommend these if you're willing to spend a bit more

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 000ULAP4U/

Amazing bass response, amazing high end, recessed in the mids but not terribly so. Great for mixing once you get to know them and my personal favorites for music/movies/games. Don't know how they compare to the Sennheiser 280s for the price though, having never tried those.
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby Pimps_McGee » 20 Feb 2013 00:07

If you want something actually that is in your budget, I would highly recommend AKG-K44. They are definitely not the greatest thing in the world but they are probably one of the best in this price range. Guitar Center is selling them for about $40 dollars right now if you use their coupon code. http://www.guitarcenter.com/AKG-K-44-Headphones-105153514-i1469833.gc

As for microphones, if you're looking in that same sort of price range, then I would recommend Behringer's C-1u or the Blue Snowball. Once again they are entry level but for the price as well as being USB (assuming you don't have an pre-amp) they are not bad.
Pimps_McGee

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 20 Feb 2013 00:36

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Get some sennheiser 280s, theyre the best low end closed backs on the market imho

I got those exact headphones :D also, related time. I have a pair of Steelseries Siberia V2's. Might not be the best, but they're good enough for me.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Return to Technique