Different compressors? (Also bassdrum comp. tut.)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Different compressors? (Also bassdrum comp. tut.)

Postby GumsOfGabby » 15 Feb 2013 11:51

This video shows how to "correctly" (not sure if an "absolute/one and only" correct method, but it seems to work well) compress a bass drum. It explains how to set the attack and release time and also how to set the threshold and ratio.

What I'm not sure about here is, FL Studio's default "Fruity compressor" (when release is set to 0ms) heavily distorts an incoming signal*, whereas the one used in the tutorial (Logic default I'm guessing) doesn't. What is going on here? What are the differences between the two compressors (why does one do this while the other does that)? And are there any free compressor plug-ins which do not distort signals when the release is set to a low release time?

*Fruity Limiter also distorts signals while the release setting on the compressor is too low/fast

Any ideas?
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Re: Different compressors? (Also bassdrum comp. tut.)

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Feb 2013 12:03

You're dealing with software here, a bunch of code and math programing that creates a compressor effect. Not all software is written exactly the same, each compressor is different with its algorithms and accuracy which results in different tones coming from each. I have a few compressor plugins that I use of different sound sources because to me they each sound great on one thing but bad on another.

Google search 'compressor plugin vst freeware' and try whatever looks nice to you.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby bartekko » 15 Feb 2013 16:08

GumsOfGabby wrote: And are there any free compressor plug-ins which do not distort signals when the release is set to a low release time?

Compressors distort signal when a release time is very low because it's part of how compressor works.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby ChocolateChicken » 15 Feb 2013 17:10

You see, by default, the Logic compressors don't distort at all, but you have the OPTION to change compressor modes that can give it distortion. It's one of my favorite things ever because you have the ability to dial in pretty much any compressor settings you want and not have to worry about distortion, unless you actually WANT distortion. This gives you a lot more control over your compression. Apple really did an awesome job designing the software in Logic Pro. :D I have no idea why most other plugin developers don't do the same thing with their compressors.

The best part is that if you want the compressor to distort the signal, you can choose different types of distortion to suit your tastes. \m/
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby HMage » 16 Feb 2013 09:01

http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&ty[]=e&f1[]=vst&tg[]=23&pr[]=f&sh[]=s&lm[]=500 -- 109 free dynamics plugins, with some ratings, reviews and download links.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby GumsOfGabby » 22 Feb 2013 19:17

Thanks for the help!

HMage wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&ty[]=e&f1[]=vst&tg[]=23&pr[]=f&sh[]=s&lm[]=500 -- 109 free dynamics plugins, with some ratings, reviews and download links.

Found one. The visual feedback is a bit delayed, but the plug-in is still useable. Dead link so I got it from the programmer's website http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/

Also, does anyone know the answer to this?
What is going on here? What are the differences between the two compressors (why does one do this while the other does that)

Apart from the fact that they're programmed differently...How exactly does Logic's compressor not create audible distortion to the signal? Is there a certain name for this type of compressor?
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby ChocolateChicken » 22 Feb 2013 20:09

GumsOfGabby wrote:Also, does anyone know the answer to this?
What is going on here? What are the differences between the two compressors (why does one do this while the other does that)

Apart from the fact that they're programmed differently...How exactly does Logic's compressor not create audible distortion to the signal? Is there a certain name for this type of compressor?

The type of compressor is called "Platinum," and from what I've read, it is Apple's own created compressor circuit-type, based on the original software compressor-type developed by the original developers of Logic, Emagic. You can see in the video you posted where it says "Platinum" on the compressor. As far as I know, there are no other compressors that function the same way - hardware compressors especially.

Confirmed: Platinum is specific to Logic Pro and is Logic Pro's own original compressor model.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby bartekko » 23 Feb 2013 03:39

ChocolateChicken wrote:The type of compressor is called "Platinum," and from what I've read, it is Apple's own created compressor circuit-type, based on the original software compressor-type developed by the original developers of Logic, Emagic. You can see in the video you posted where it says "Platinum" on the compressor. As far as I know, there are no other compressors that function the same way - hardware compressors especially.

Confirmed: Platinum is specific to Logic Pro and is Logic Pro's own original compressor model.

okay so it works differently than any other compressor, but that was not the question.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby HMage » 24 Feb 2013 08:36

GumsOfGabby wrote:Apart from the fact that they're programmed differently...How exactly does Logic's compressor not create audible distortion to the signal? Is there a certain name for this type of compressor?

These kinds of details of implementations might be secret. Otherwise it would be easy to recreate a perfect replica of a great compressor and sell it cheaper.

Judging from the video, it looks like that compressor is using feed-forward algorithm to "see into the future" a little bit and adjust accordingly. FF1 in ableton for example doesn't introduce distortions, but it always passes through the initial transient even if it's set to 0ms attack.

I think the apple compressor switches to limiter mode when set to 0ms attack.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Return to Technique