Opinions on Sharing Techniques

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Opinions on Sharing Techniques

Postby [voodoopony] » 25 Oct 2011 08:39

At first I intended to share as much technique as possible, in an attempt to make the community grow/evolve as a whole. I'd be handing out home made samples and patches for everyone to use freely. The other day, however, when I asked how one achieved such a wub, they mentioned they worked on it for hours and it's not something they want to be handing out, which I found understandable.

And then I sort of agreed, as I've spent years trying to find out techniques and secrets to the kick drum and whatnot and it's something I don't wouldn't want to just toss around, ifyuknawmsayin.

At the same time though, I have a dying urge to know how some sounds are achieved, and can't see why I shouldn't know, which completely contradicts everything I said. Your thoughts?
Last edited by [voodoopony] on 25 Oct 2011 19:13, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Re: Opinions on Sharing Techniques

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 25 Oct 2011 09:19

To be perfectly honest, I'd be proud of my creations and would want to share them about! It's always nice to hear a song and go "oh hey, that's the drums I made!" and so on...
Not that I'd know though, people only ask me for the creepy child screaming and piano scratch samples I made...:P
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Stars In Autumn » 25 Oct 2011 10:06

I'm for sharing techniques within the community. I'm not sure why one would wish to keep things a secret just because it took them a long time to figure out on their own. Not really in spirit of the community, in my opinion. I can kind of see why you would not want to completely give everything about your style away, though. It's nice to have your own unique style and if others emulate it completely, that'd kind of suck.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby PinkieGuy » 25 Oct 2011 15:42

I think the trick to it is teaching as opposed to giving resources.

Make them go through the process of manuallyakong that massive patch, so they learn and make effort doing so.

That'd make me feel better at least.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Versilaryan » 25 Oct 2011 15:45

I'm all for it. I don't think I personally have anything worth sharing, but if anypony asked, I'd be happy to give them things!

I'm inclined to agree with Dr. D here. We as a music community don't really get anywhere if we all have to figure out everything for ourselves -- that would just take forever for all of us. (Speaking of which, I might ask you for all of your samples someday. >.>)

Meanwhile, if you do everything in your power to reverse engineer a sound, it means you're learning more about the inner workings of the sound than if you had it handled to you. So there's some give and take there.
Versilaryan

Postby Whitetail » 25 Oct 2011 17:05

I'd be honored that someone found my technique interesting enough that they'd like to know how I did it in the first place, I'd have no problem sharing.
Whitetail

Postby [voodoopony] » 25 Oct 2011 19:24

I can understand general techniques like compression and whatnot but I'm leaning more toward when it comes to established musicians being able to emulate sounds that are a complete mystery to the rest of us, for example Skleenex and his Skleenex bass which no one's come close to, Boards of Canada and their aced compression and aging methods, Aphex Twin and his everything, Justice and their hard disco-retro house pop sound, etc. They aren't very revealing as to how they got these, but if it's not because they don't want anyone to know, then why not?

I'm thinking it's more okay for them as they're highly successful and pioneers in their fields, and considering the amount of people who'd cross the earth just to rip their signature style off is overwhelming. They're protecting themselves, technically.

It reminds me of something I read AFX say. Something about how he only puts out general electronic music even though he's able to make better and newer things whenever he wants, because he knows people will just do the same thing and then it'll all die off and disappear. Don't quote me on it, though.

I don't mind sharing my techniques with this community however. While I may not be as willing to put out samples or patches that took me time and hard work to sound right, I'm happy to explain the process behind them and whatnot. Overall, it's what we're all here for, yeah?
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby Interrobang Pie » 25 Oct 2011 20:19

Not sure what I can give since none of you do chiptunes, but I'll see what I can do.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Xyless » 25 Oct 2011 21:36

I'd do chiptunes if I could figure out how.
Xyless

Postby bartekko » 26 Oct 2011 07:02

Take famitracker, read five pages of tutorials and manuals, done, you are now able to make amazingchiptunes.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Return to Technique