[FLStudio Help] Speed Up BPM + Vocals

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

[FLStudio Help] Speed Up BPM + Vocals

Postby MRPPony » 04 Jan 2013 14:43

Alright so I'm aware on how to use the automation clips and that its possible to use those to adjust the bpm during the course of a song, but the problem I'm having is I'm working with vocals. I was wondering is it possible to adjust the bpm and the vocals speed up along with the song? Or will I need to manually adjust the vocals' bpm?

Just to give you an idea, I'm trying something mental by basically starting off as a house track (130bpm) then adjusting to happy hardcore (170bpm). Not sure why but mixing genres within one song is now my new fetish :P
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Re: [FLStudio Help] Speed Up BPM + Vocals

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Jan 2013 15:17

Try this thread. I haven't looked over it thoroughly, but it looks like you can find a way to adjust the tempo of the vocals, and then you can most likely find a way to automate it from there. Assuming you're using FL that is. If not, the thread may or may not be useful, and I'm out of solutions
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2013 15:24

TBH I use Sony Acid first on any loops or stems that need a BPM shift, get them to the new desired bpm, and then add them to FL studio. Acid does a great job of allowing a bpm shift but also to allow them at the same pitch (or to do pitch shifts as well if you want) so they don't sound sped up or slowed down. It's perfect for loops.

Here's something i made a year ago (excuse the lack of eq'ing and the lo-fi video). I may have still pitched up the tracks for the happy hardcore effect and then added drum breaks and mixed in Acid.
Last edited by Freewave on 04 Jan 2013 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Jan 2013 15:26

Freewave wrote:TBH I use Sony Acid first on any loops or stems that need a BPM shift, get them to the new desired bpm, and then add them to FL studio. Acid does a great job of allowing a bpm shift but also to allow them at the same pitch (or to do pitch shifts as well if you want) so they don't sound sped up or slowed down.

How does Audacity compare to Acid when it comes to stuff like that?
Nine Volt

Postby Matthew N. » 04 Jan 2013 15:35

Audacity? Please... ;)
Matthew N.

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2013 15:58

Audacity allows multi-channel but doesn't really do loops at all. It's much better if you need freeware and are doing a more live performance or recording a stream. Even something like Reaper (a great basic DAW i used before FL) would be better because you have a master bpm and then you can lock any loops by that bpm. But Acid allows you to get any samples to the desired bpm you want, overlay them with other loops or tracks and match their bpm's with or iwthout a pitch shift.

Here's a tutorial which i think should give an idea of how it works. I'm at work so cant' play and hear it to know for sure.

Again once i've done what i want with ACid into FL they go for eq'ing, midi patterns, etc. I don't normally use Acid for anything except the loop preparatrions unless it is ALL sample based.

However, I did almost all of my Ponyswag remix in ACID because i had to use about 15 different breaks taken from different Beastie Boys songs, overlayed with the Pony Swag acapella, threw in a few show samples to remove swearing (which was a moot point cause EQD still didn't feature it :D), bpm match them all to sync up, and then adjust any wonky volumes that might arise if they came from different albums. I really don't think it would have been possible in FL to do this at all, certainly it wouldnt be easier or quicker.

Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby MRPPony » 04 Jan 2013 23:08

Ah, sorry I made that confusing. I can't think of any examples that has vocals right now but here's something to give you an idea:

1:38 (The song starts to slow down)

0:46 (This is the best I can think of at the time. I know how to slow the bpm/music down and slowly adjust the automation so it goes from 130bpm to 170bpm, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way FLStudio can automatically adjust the bpm of the vocals without adjusting it manually)

Edit: Here's what I mean. How do I do this with the vocals (1:12 to 1:49)
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Postby phantomignition » 04 Jan 2013 23:15

Soundcloud
YouTube (It's completely empty right now)
phantomignition

Postby MRPPony » 05 Jan 2013 01:33

Oh thank you so much Gilda in a monkey suit!...errphanto...FRIEND! -hugs-
No but seriously, thanks this helps a lot. Now all I have to do is make my song not suck and sound good and this'll turn out pretty cool!
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Return to Technique