Headphone Dilemma

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Headphone Dilemma

Postby acrios90 » 01 Jan 2013 11:56

Ok since this is the only music community I am really a part of I thought I'd ask you for advice.

In the past year I had collected more then 5 pairs of studio headphones, 7 pairs of ear buds and, 4 plug in speakers (Like the music bullet and the "Boom Cube")... My dilemma here is that they just clutter around my desk and I really cant think of a nice way to store all of them, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how I could store them where they would be accessible but out of the way when I am working?
All of my newer music is on my Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/acrios90
acrios90

Re: Headphone Dilemma

Postby the4thImpulse » 01 Jan 2013 12:17

I think you may need to decide what headphones are most important to you and put the rest on a shelf somewhere else in your room, say goes with the speakers you mentioned.

You could also create (or buy possibly) a rack for your over ear headphones. Something like this

If I had multiple studio headphones I would do some form of the above there but likely off the top my desk rather on it.

I would also not at all recommend earbud headphones for studio work of any kind (I often check my masters on a pair of ipod headphones but that's it). I also don't see why you would need so many headphones to be quickly accessed all the time.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby cyrricky » 01 Jan 2013 12:21

I like to use a mobile organizer like this that I can drag around with me and pull things out of when I need them, but a headphone rack is probably the way to go if you're just storing headphones/earphones/whatever.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Makkon » 01 Jan 2013 13:01

Let me move this to technique, you'll likely get more advice there too.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby acrios90 » 01 Jan 2013 17:10

the4thImpulse wrote:I think you may need to decide what headphones are most important to you and put the rest on a shelf somewhere else in your room, say goes with the speakers you mentioned.

I would also not at all recommend earbud headphones for studio work of any kind (I often check my masters on a pair of ipod headphones but that's it). I also don't see why you would need so many headphones to be quickly accessed all the time.

I need access to all of them because, When I finish working on a song I listen to it through every median I have at least once. I do this to make sure that my music would sound good no matter what it is listened to on, and to "clean up" the master EQ
All of my newer music is on my Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/acrios90
acrios90

Postby the4thImpulse » 01 Jan 2013 17:21

acrios90 wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:I think you may need to decide what headphones are most important to you and put the rest on a shelf somewhere else in your room, say goes with the speakers you mentioned.

I need access to all of them because, When I finish working on a song I listen to it through every median I have at least once. I do this to make sure that my music would sound good no matter what it is listened to on, and to "clean up" the master EQ

I would recommend using one or two sources for the creation part of the music production and when you are ready to do a final mix and master then I would bring out the other sources. Using two many sources can get in the way of the inspiration when creating new ideas. Same goes as you slowly mix it together, you won't get a great mix at first if your juggling between so many play back devices. Store some away on a shelf or the box idea cyrricky mentioned for when you're ready for final mixdown and mastering.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Watashig » 01 Jan 2013 23:57

Hmm... I don't think this is a dilemma, considering that di means two and you're not quite stuck between choosing one or another.

Sorry if my nitpicking annoys you.
AKA "Wata"
Watashig

Postby vladnuke » 03 Jan 2013 05:15

I'd get rid of the tinny mini speakers and get a nice set of monitors ASAP.
vladnuke

Postby topitmunkeydog » 03 Jan 2013 19:45

My solution to the headphone thing is just like 4th Impulse's, except sillier. It's some thingy, I have no idea what, that I found in IKEA clearance for 75 cents. Then I stabbed it through yarn. And then I just decided to put them on it. Some of these aren't even headphones. The middle thing is a gun muffler, which I bought for a class I took that involved powertools.
As for earbuds, you need to find a good way to keep them untangled and then put them in a lil' drawer or something.And for speakers, you should put them all around the room and connect them all, so when you are not testing your song on various things, you can just listen to epically loud music with surround sound or whatever.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Return to Technique