Chopping vocal tips?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Chopping vocal tips?

Postby Fl Brony » 27 Dec 2012 01:21

There is going to be a part of a song that i'm doing where I want to chop up the vocals so it has kind of the same effect used in the song nightmare night, can I please get some help?
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: Chopping vocal tips?

Postby Motivfs » 27 Dec 2012 01:27

Since your name is FL Brony, I imagine you use FL studios, just a wild guess, if you have FL studios, more than likely you have a plugin called "Slicex", just load the vocal sample into there, use Slicex to chop it up (there is also an autochop function as well) and then there you go, add some delay, reverb, other effects and you are good to go, a little tip by the way, try to use samples with vowels in them.

Also, just for future use, you can check the getting started thread located at the top there, it might answer some of your questions, there is also my favourite as always, and quite useful (should be your first resort), Youtube.
Motivfs

Postby Fl Brony » 27 Dec 2012 01:51

Thank you for the help!
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby cyrricky » 27 Dec 2012 12:08

Motivfs said it but I don't think he stressed it enough; when chopping your vocals, you want to ONLY use vowels. 's,' th,' and other consonant sounds just don't work when doing vocal chops.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Nine Volt » 27 Dec 2012 12:12

Wait... Nightmare Night doesn't have vocal chopping. I have the stems/vox to prove it.

Unless you're talking about Cyrricky's Nightmare Night, which I have no idea because I listened to it a long time ago.

But yeah, Motivfs and Cy are right, only use the vowels if you're doing something like Assertive Fluttershy's "Boooring!!!"
Nine Volt

Postby Random111223 » 27 Dec 2012 12:44

After chopping your stuff, record it to Edison and send that file to Newtone. Autotune it to match your song key. Otherwise the vocals are gonna sound shit and off key. (Unless you have good ears for this kinda stuff).
Random111223

Postby Magnitude Zero » 27 Dec 2012 13:48

cyrricky wrote:Motivfs said it but I don't think he stressed it enough; when chopping your vocals, you want to ONLY use vowels. 's,' th,' and other consonant sounds just don't work when doing vocal chops.

Not necessarily. Depending on the style you can easily make consonants work.

If you use Slicex, don't be lazy. If you use its autoslice, play with the markers to make sure you get the sounds you want rather than digging through all the regions and hoping you get one or two usable ones.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Raddons » 27 Dec 2012 15:34

Nightmare Night does have a chop. It's not to the extent of something like he did in Beyond Her Garden of course, but he still chopped them.

The slice tool is the best for vocal chopping.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 27 Dec 2012 15:46

Cloud wrote:Nightmare Night does have a chop. It's not to the extent of something like he did in Beyond Her Garden of course, but he still chopped them.

The slice tool is the best for vocal chopping.

Ah, sorry. It's been a while since I heard the song.

I have the actual mostly-unprocessed vocal stems, without the chopping (like Aviators' remix of it), that's why I thought it didn't.
Nine Volt

Return to Technique