<HELP> Continuing Song

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

<HELP> Continuing Song

Postby derpyponie » 26 Dec 2012 14:32

Hi my name is derpyponie; I'm new here and relatively new at making music via a computer. I'm pretty familiar with the basics of FL Studio by now, though. It's a pretty easy-to-understand DAW, and that's why I chose it. I made some songs a while ago but then my hard drive broke. No big deal, I'm just starting over and trying to do better than what I had.
I'm thinking I should just force my tiny bit of creativity into overdrive and keep doing random things until something sounds good. Maybe I'll take out my midi keyboard.
It's just difficult to make one of those "silly" remixes (I'm trying to remix "I'm Applejack! Moar Appuh Frittuhs?" XD).
I just wanted to know what people think about coming to a "dead end" while making a song, especially when you're new at all of this.
The "end" can not possibly be completely "dead" when we have technology like this these days.
derpyponie

Re: <HELP> Continuing Song

Postby itroitnyah » 26 Dec 2012 15:32

Don't try and force yourself to make music. If you want to make music, but it isn't working out, then take a break. Allow your mind to reset before coming back.

Hold on, I didn't say "go watch a youtube video and then come back" I said fucking close FL, unpin it from the task bar, unpin it from the start menu, and don't even open up any folders that have anything to do with FL. Just, don't touch it for a bit. Like, a few days or a week. There is most definitely no way to force a "creativity overdrive". I guarantee it. You have to let ideas come to you naturally.

But once you get a good idea for a song and stuff, then you can open FL back up.

Stop right there! I didn't say "Pull an idea out of the air in a quick second, just like you obviously did with the 'Hey! I'm Applejack! Moar appuh frittuhs?' scene". Good ideas in music are ones that you've thought out and know what you're going to do, you know what you want it to sound like, and you have plan(s) on how you're going to accomplish the production of the song. Sure, there are exceptions where you could just be laying down melodies and something catchy comes out, that's not too uncommon.

Take this to heart. You have no deadlines or required songs per month/year/week or whatever. Your worst songs are going to be the ones that you slap together to try and reach a certain date or deadline. I don't care if you have 75,000+ subscribers on youtube and you're getting threats from subs saying they're going to unsub if you don't come out with something soon... Even if it takes a year for you to make something good, even if you lose all 75,000 subscribers, DON'T RUSH. I've made mistakes like that in the past, where I would rush to finish a song or just throw a song together just for the sake of finishing it, and the songs are mediocre even by comparison to my current songs that I've made. I'm giving you the heads up now so that you DON'T make the same mistakes that I made.

And don't look at mistakes you make and go "Oh whoa is me, somebody tell me it's not that bad!". Learn from your mistakes. They will tell you more than you could ever hope to learn from an expert.

Also, don't come waltzing in to a forum and ask "How do I make an Alex S./Skrillex/Knife Party growl in this copy of massive that I obviously just pirated?" because that's the wrong way to make music, and I don't know anything about you other than you like the kazoo, but I'm just going to tell you that if you aren't willing to figure things out on your own (which presumably you are willing, since you have previous experience and I haven't seen you on here before), but if you aren't going to learn how to do things yourself, just stop trying to make music until you are willing to learn things by yourself.

Also, learn music theory, learn how to efficiently structure a song, learn what every function of just about every synth, plugin, and effect does.

Alright, I'm done now. Nice to meet you.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: <HELP> Continuing Song

Postby Navron » 26 Dec 2012 15:59

Even as you gain experience, you will still come to dead ends. Maybe 1 out of every 5 songs I complete are composed without any dead ends. Note that's 1 in 5 songs completed. I often have 10-20 attempted songs before I make one I actually finish. Most often these other ones just have one catchy riff, and I come to a dead end trying to create an intro, or full song out of it.

Music theory is probably the most important thing when it comes to dead ends. Without it, you just try over and over again to find something that works, and when nothing does, you usually call it quits for the day. Learning music theory will help you understand the overall key and progression of your song, so when you come to a dead end, you have a few routes you already know you can take, and simply pick the one that sounds the best. With no training in theory, you could literally spend hours trying to find the right chord to go to, and never find it.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Return to Technique