Dat glitched voice effect.

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Dat glitched voice effect.

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Dec 2012 15:41

There isn't really a synth that glitches voices for you. You have to go through and change the audio clip yourself. Just cut out all of the... hmm... I forgot what they're called. Um, you want to leave in the vowels, I think they're called. Yeah, and then cut out the other whatever-they're-called-s.

Cut out everything EXCEPT for A, E, O, U, I, and Y's.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Pewter Robot » 19 Dec 2012 15:58

itroitnyah wrote:There isn't really a synth that glitches voices for you. You have to go through and change the audio clip yourself. Just cut out all of the... hmm... I forgot what they're called. Um, you want to leave in the vowels, I think they're called. Yeah, and then cut out the other whatever-they're-called-s.

Cut out everything EXCEPT for A, E, O, U, I, and Y's.

Consonants
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Dec 2012 16:18

Pewter Robot wrote:Consonants
Yes, thank you. Those.
itroitnyah

Postby dark_on_5 » 19 Dec 2012 16:33

That sound can be done easily with FL Slicer (if I'm not wrong). It cut for you the sound sample into syllables, so you can choose the ones with only vowels :)
| SoundCloud | Youtube |

DAW: FL Studio 10, Audacity
Genres: Experimenting with everything.
dark_on_5

Postby Pewter Robot » 19 Dec 2012 17:52

TheBaq5 wrote:Thanks a lot. Then when I want to fit these samples to my melody they sound like shit.
How can I adjust that? (I simply used piano-roll).
Same goes for synth one shots.

It's the same as making a melody with synths. Act like the vocal samples you're slicing are parts of a song that you're rearranging into a new one. Just play around for a couple of days until you have a catchy tune.
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Dec 2012 18:08

You can also use Newtone to autotune it to work. Just search up "how to use newton" tutorials, and I guarantee you'll find something. It's really simple to use, and it'll get the pitch of the glitching samples to snap more to the notes that you want them to, so it should help them sit right.

Umm... Yeah, Newtone is fairly expensive, but software like that ain't easy to make. If you can't/don't want to invest in it, then alright. I'll just tell you that using piano roll to try and get the samples to sit right will be really hard, just from experience. But good luck to you, if you choose that route :)
itroitnyah

Postby Raddons » 19 Dec 2012 18:57

I'm pretty sure there was a thread asking the exact same question using the exact same song a few weeks ago here.

Melodyne. Newtone will also serve the same function.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Magnitude Zero » 19 Dec 2012 19:28

dark_on_5 wrote:That sound can be done easily with FL Slicer (if I'm not wrong). It cut for you the sound sample into syllables, so you can choose the ones with only vowels :)

Slicex > FL Slicer

Slices it the same way but with more options (dull/medium/sharp slicing iirc), and then allows you to manually change the regions to make the sounds you want rather than hope you get them.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Borsko » 19 Dec 2012 19:58

When I try to make a glitchy voice melody(whatever you calls it) I usually get about 15 or more nice samples that are stay mostly to one pitch. Usually I get the samples from songs since those tend to stay the same pitch but you can sample anything.

Next make sure they are all set to Pro-transient or Speech time stretching in all of their channel settings so that when you raise or lower the pitch it is still pleasant to listen to.

Then I just start trying to make a melody out of them seeing which vocals sound better after the other or reversing some clips and just trying everything out basically. It can take a while, but the end product can be really neat and catchy.

Typically I won't use all the samples I picked out to use, but it's best to have a few extra so that you aren't short on clips to use when making the melody.
DAW: FL Studio, Ableton
Genre: Dubstep, Drum and Bass
Plugins: Massive, SAUSAGE FATTENER
Borsko

Return to Technique