Synth Strumming

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Synth Strumming

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Dec 2012 00:18

http://soundcloud.com/stopeatingmywaffles/synth-strum/s-0SafZ

Lovely synths that sound like strings being strummed.

TL;DR Does anybody have any idea how to make this sound in other synths?

This is a slightly modified preset in a synth I have called Dune by Synapse.

The way that strumming is made in this particular synth is with the arpeggiator; specific notes are sequenced in each slot, and then the rate is tempo-synched and very fast: The first bar in the above example is 128th notes, the second bar is 64th notes, and the last bar of the above example is in 32nd triplets. Massive's Stepper does not seem to have these capabilities.

Also, if you'll notice, each step in the arpeggiated sequence has its own individual amp envelop, which makes it sound more realistic. I don't think Massive has this capability either in its Stepper.

So once again, is it possible to replicate this sound in other synths?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: Synth Strumming

Postby Rainbow_Rage » 19 Dec 2012 00:30

when I need a strum sound, I sequence it by offsetting the midi note, never considered using the arpeggiator, I'll have to try that
Rainbow_Rage

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Dec 2012 00:37

Rainbow_Rage wrote:when I need a strum sound, I sequence it by offsetting the midi note, never considered using the arpeggiator, I'll have to try that

Neither did I until I came across this preset. :D But I don't think too many DAWs out there will let you sequence in 128th notes, or even let you accurately fit more than 4 midi notes in a single 32nd note bar. Also, I think that amount of sequencing would be a real pain and would take ages to do.

As for using the arpeggiator, I am wondering what other synths give you this amount of flexibility with their step sequencers; Massive isn't able to do so as far as I know.
ChocolateChicken

Postby the4thImpulse » 19 Dec 2012 01:04

ChocolateChicken wrote:But I don't think too many DAWs out there will let you sequence in 128th notes, or even let you accurately fit more than 4 midi notes in a single 32nd note bar. Also, I think that amount of sequencing would be a real pain and would take ages to do.

Most DAWs do let you fine tune midi notes outside of regular notation, I use it in ableton all the time and I have used it in Cubase and FL in the past. Accurately, not really but you can get very close with your eyes. Its also worth mentioning that most human hears won't easily discern 128th notes, especially in a whole mix (depending on BPM of course). Sequencing all depends the amount you want/need to sequencer and your personal workflow.

To answer the OP question, yes its completely possibly to create sounds like the one you sowed here, its a simple synth sting. You just need a couple oscillators and a filter and amp envelopes, delay the midi notes slightly to create the strumming effect and copy paste it to make a sequence (you then only have to move the notes up or down the piano roll to make your chord, easy).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Dec 2012 01:17

the4thImpulse wrote:Its also worth mentioning that most human hears won't easily discern 128th notes, especially in a whole mix (depending on BPM of course).

This is very true. I should have realized as a guitarist, I'm not strumming all six strings of a guitar in perfect tempo - just very fast.

the4thImpulse wrote:To answer the OP question, yes its completely possibly to create sounds like the one you sowed here, its a simple synth sting. You just need a couple oscillators and a filter and amp envelopes, delay the midi notes slightly.

This would work except most synths are limited to three oscillators, which would be a rather underwhelming strumming effect. I do see what you mean with this, it's just that three separate pitches is kind of a disappointing limitation. In the example above, there are five individual notes in each arpeggiated "strum," with room for up to 32 individual notes on the arpeggiator.
ChocolateChicken

Postby derpytunes » 19 Dec 2012 11:11

The piano roll in Fl has a strum tool. Have you tried that?
derpytunes

Postby the4thImpulse » 19 Dec 2012 11:35

ChocolateChicken wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:To answer the OP question, yes its completely possibly to create sounds like the one you sowed here, its a simple synth sting. You just need a couple oscillators and a filter and amp envelopes, delay the midi notes slightly.

This would work except most synths are limited to three oscillators, which would be a rather underwhelming strumming effect. I do see what you mean with this, it's just that three separate pitches is kind of a disappointing limitation. In the example above, there are five individual notes in each arpeggiated "strum," with room for up to 32 individual notes on the arpeggiator.

It sounds like your going for a very complicated sound, Z3ta+ has 6 oscillator as well as 6 envelopes and lfos. I think you could get a good effect if you do the midi programming 'my' method and if you internal modulate each oscillator separately. Each OSC gets a envelope and a lfo to change the envelope's effect (or whatever else you want), set the lfo's to an internal clock, not the DAWs, so its continually changing. Its quite the sound your going for, good luck!
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Dec 2012 17:41

derpytunes wrote:The piano roll in Fl has a strum tool. Have you tried that?

I would if I had FL Studio haha. I use Logic Pro. Any Logic users out there know if there is an equivalent feature in Logic?
ChocolateChicken

Return to Technique