DAW change advice?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

DAW change advice?

Postby nOk » 14 Dec 2012 10:41

Hey, all! So currently I use FL studio. I've used it for a couple years now and I know how to do the basics and such. I'm able to make decent enough music with it. It's not my best work, but it's definitely not my worst! I've built up an army of amazing VSTs too, so I'm pretty content with FL.

I'm disappointed with it's workflow though.

I feel like I'd be able to get much more out of a DAW like Cubase or ProTools. Not sure what their limitations or advantages are either, or how easy they are to learn. Also not sure how efficient their workflow is. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for a better program for me?
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Re: DAW change advice?

Postby Rainbow_Rage » 14 Dec 2012 12:18

everyones different in what works for the. Most programs will have a 30 day trial period. Use that to try them out, it will be an adjustment from FL but you do get the full 30 days to get your bearings and understand how to do everything again in the new setting.
Rainbow_Rage

Postby Thyrai » 14 Dec 2012 13:17

As always, I'd recommend Ableton. It's got the fastest workflow of any DAW on the market (with the exception of Logic, but only because I haven't tried it yet) , and it has a nice clean and consolidated interface. It's also getting updated to version 9 soon, so it's on sale with a free upgrade at the moment.
Thyrai

Postby cloudshovit » 14 Dec 2012 15:04

I just find it a bit odd that you have been using FL for 2 years and yet all of the sudden decided that you no longer like its workflow. Anyways, I think you will run the risk of spending your time looking for and adjusting to another DAW this way instead of focusing on your music.
cloudshovit

Postby the4thImpulse » 14 Dec 2012 15:20

cloudshovit wrote:I just find it a bit odd that you have been using FL for 2 years and yet all of the sudden decided that you no longer like its workflow. Anyways, I think you will run the risk of spending your time looking for and adjusting to another DAW this way instead of focusing on your music.

Workflow is key if you want to enjoy making music. I used FL for two years before switching to ableton because all of its minor annoyances just built up and I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted something better. It does take a few months to get well aquainted with a new DAW so be prepared to still use FL to help get your ideas out there more quickly for the first few months (at least that's my experience).

Thyrai wrote:As always, I'd recommend Ableton. It's got the fastest workflow of any DAW on the market (with the exception of Logic, but only because I haven't tried it yet) , and it has a nice clean and consolidated interface. It's also getting updated to version 9 soon, so it's on sale with a free upgrade at the moment.

I second ableton, especially if you make electronic music. There is no other DAW quiet like it (yay~ session view).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 14 Dec 2012 15:30

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6177 This thread will help you out a bit.

inb4 this thread turns into another DAW battle
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Raddons » 14 Dec 2012 16:50

I'm honestly considering switching to Ableton just because of the 64 bit functionality. Only being able to utilize 2GB RAM kills me.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby LFP » 14 Dec 2012 17:08

^open the extended memory version :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Omegastick » 14 Dec 2012 17:46

I've never used FL Studio, but let me tell you that Ableton's workflow involves some getting used to. Personally, I don't make full use of it, I go straight into arrangement view and put things together there, but the way you are 'supposed' to do it (or so I'm told) is you set up loops and stuff in session view and then arrange them in arrangement view. The good thing about Ableton, though, is you can work either way and it all works well. It's a very flexible DAW, even if it's native plugins are a bit weird.
Omegastick

Postby cloudshovit » 14 Dec 2012 22:07

I think OP should post more of what he likes and doesn't like to have in work flow before any more suggestions. But I've read a lot making good with Reaper x Studio One combo since OP mentioned about cubase and pt.

But nevertheless I'd still recommend sticking with whatever DAW you are already used to. I think thats the only way you can be good at something. Thats the reason why people stick with their DAWs despite its quirks, people like Zedd for example, who still use Cubase to make EDM. Again demos are available, but I don't recommend demoing it for 2 years though lol.

Having said that. The 2 major quirks I have against FL. Is the track freezing function and the (lack of) a consolidation/organization function.
cloudshovit

Postby ChocolateChicken » 14 Dec 2012 22:25

Yes, it depends entirely on OP's workflow, so any DAW can very well end up working for him and his style of music.

...Except for Pro Tools.

Pro Tools is the fucking worst daw I've ever used and it's expensive as hell. Don't get it. Get a daw that's actually useful.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby K3WRO » 14 Dec 2012 23:57

ChocolateChicken wrote:Pro Tools is the fucking worst daw I've ever used and it's expensive as hell. Don't get it. Get a daw that's actually useful.

Protools and Cubase, stay away from it

Abelton, I actually wanted to switch to it once but I decided to stay with FL because of financial problems,
there's really nothing wrong with FL studio, it's just that it lacks 64 bit support, and it's pretty annoying, and I'm satisfied with the performance mode on it, which was one of the main reasons I wanted to switch to Abelton, so I can preform my songs live if I have the chance to
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Dabrenn » 15 Dec 2012 02:14

Popping in here to say that Ableton Live is great, and you should definitely check it out. It's workflow is absolutely perfect for me. I used FL studio for a little bit before Ableton, but once I tried out Ableton, the difference was like night in day in terms of workflow and efficiency.
Dabrenn

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Dec 2012 03:12

I was content with letting others say their bit, but:

K3WRO wrote:Protools and Cubase, stay away from it

Are you kidding? Cubase is great! I use it and it works excellently for what I do. Easy to use interface that isn't cluttered, works brilliantly with external vsts and is layed out in a way that I'm comfortable with.

Protools is more for recording than vsts and sample libraries. It's really good for sound engineers, but don't expect much more...

That being said, what does nOk write? Because I think Ableton's workflow is more suited to electronic music.

I've used all three and that's my opinion on each.

That being said, plenty of people make all kinds of music in all kinds of DAWs, so it's really about trying the demos and seeing which one clicks with you.
Do that before committing!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby cloudshovit » 15 Dec 2012 07:26

K3WRO wrote:
ChocolateChicken wrote:Pro Tools is the fucking worst daw I've ever used and it's expensive as hell. Don't get it. Get a daw that's actually useful.

Protools and Cubase, stay away from it

there's really nothing wrong with FL studio, it's just that it lacks 64 bit support, and it's pretty annoying,

yo x64 FL is definitely coming really soon since delphi is now available for 64 bit and they have already ported almost all of their plugins to x64, even 3xOSC lol. I think its now already in beta stage and could maybe even be out with FL 11.

Also I have tried to use Ableton before due to a lot of professional tutorials available for it in contrast to FL whose tutorials are mostly done by noobs. But it just doesn't work for me so I stuck with FL. And now I'm at level where I am comfortable using it, knowing most of its ins and outs. I watched this guys Seamless Q & A last night and its inspiring how hes been using FL for 8 years before he got to where he is now. The reason why most people (including Deadmau5) migrate to Ableton from FL is because it used to lack a performance function but thats about to change soon. And in my case, this came at a perfect time for as I want to finish some tracks first before even beginning to think about playing live.
cloudshovit

Postby nOk » 15 Dec 2012 16:01

I'm not really interested in playing live, so I haven't really looked in to Ableton. From what I'm hearing, it's pretty good for electronic music though.

That being said, what does nOk write? Because I think Ableton's workflow is more suited to electronic music.

I make electronic music, often with some ambience. :)

I'm wanting to go into video game composition eventually though, so I'd like something that would be good for electronic as well some organic music. (Hence my interest in Cubase)

So, with Ableton, is it good in general, or does most of its glory come from the "live music" aspect?
nOk

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Dec 2012 16:13

nOk wrote:So, with Ableton, is it good in general, or does most of its glory come from the "live music" aspect?

Ableton does not try to first emulate the old analog ways of recording (like most other DAWs out there do) and then give you the benifits of the digital world. It developed its own style that could only be done with digital and then it gave you the more familiar look that emulates the old analog way.

Yes its amazing for live preformance (I use it live every week) but it also really shines in the studio. It can do everything the other DAWs can, it just has a more unique way of doing it. Ableton has a very clean interface, the only pop out windows come from third party vsts, everything else is in its own place on screen often all at the same time.

These DAW wars are useless, there is almost no difference between the major DAWs except for Ableton's live performance features. Its all in workflow and image.
the4thImpulse

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Dec 2012 16:24

the4thImpulse wrote:These DAW wars are useless, there is almost no difference between the major DAWs except for Ableton's live performance features. Its all in workflow and image.
A major flaw that FL has, I guess, is not freezing tracks. I've heard that's pretty good.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Dec 2012 16:37

itroitnyah wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:These DAW wars are useless, there is almost no difference between the major DAWs except for Ableton's live performance features. Its all in workflow and image.
A major flaw that FL has, I guess, is not freezing tracks. I've heard that's pretty good.

I do not consider FL to be apart of the major DAWs, its very popular but its not 'professional'.
the4thImpulse

Postby Raddons » 15 Dec 2012 16:47

I'll let you all know if I come out alive.
Raddons

Postby the4thImpulse » 15 Dec 2012 16:53

Cloud wrote:Image

I'll let you all know if I come out alive.

Have fun, don't get too flustered, PM if you have questions.
the4thImpulse

Postby Raddons » 15 Dec 2012 16:57

Will do. Thanks man.
Raddons

Postby nOk » 15 Dec 2012 18:24

Hmmm, I think I'll get Ableton when it releases 9. I'll give it a go :)
nOk

Postby cloudshovit » 15 Dec 2012 21:33

ocremix.org forum for VGM stuff. Checkout Zircon and that COD Black Ops II guy. What turns me off about plugins and DAWs the most are that "analog" "warm" crap lol. Thats why I no longer check gearslutz etc. I tend not use plugins with tube GUIs and analog knobs etc.
cloudshovit

Postby cloudshovit » 15 Dec 2012 21:41

http://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=101890 there is also a fairly recent topic about this in the other forum as well. Feel free to chime in, that is of course if you have an FL account :D
cloudshovit

Next

Return to Technique