Elements of a Talking Bass

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Elements of a Talking Bass

Postby Penumbrah » 05 Dec 2012 17:07

So I've been messing around with synths along with different effects and filters, and I've noticed how certain wavetable positions and distortion settings whether it be included in the synthesizer like Massive and Sylenth or some other plugin adding distortion to it will give it that famous talking effect. Does anyone have a real explanation why adding distortion from another plugin sometimes gives a bass that "yoi" sound?
Soundcloud
Follow me on tumblr as well, I get lonely...
Youtube
Always up for talking to new people, so don't be a stranger!
Penumbrah

Re: Elements of a Talking Bass

Postby Friv » 05 Dec 2012 20:38

Penumbrah wrote:So I've been messing around with synths along with different effects and filters, and I've noticed how certain wavetable positions and distortion settings whether it be included in the synthesizer like Massive and Sylenth or some other plugin adding distortion to it will give it that famous talking effect. Does anyone have a real explanation why adding distortion from another plugin sometimes gives a bass that "yoi" sound?

I don't know what exactly what type of distortion you're talking about, but I'll paste this here.

Basically most talking basses are caused by these vocal formant centers,
Vowel (IPA) Formant f1 Formant f2
u 320 Hz + 800 Hz
o 500 Hz + 1000 Hz
ɑ 700 Hz + 1150 Hz
a 1000 Hz + 1400 Hz
ø 500 Hz + 1500 Hz
y 320 Hz + 1650 Hz
ɛ 700 Hz + 1800 Hz
e 500 Hz + 2300 Hz
i 320 Hz + 2500 Hz

Vowel formants
Vowel Main formant region
u 200–400 Hz
o 400–600 Hz
a 800–1200 Hz
e 400–600 and 2200–2600 Hz
i 200–400 and 3000–3500 Hz

and when one formant center is moved to another (whether via EQ, filters, or in your case distortion), it gives the famous "talking" sound. So essentially, I think the distortion is just mucking around with your frequencies causing the simulation of a talking sound.
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
email: [email protected]
Friv

Postby Raddons » 05 Dec 2012 21:02

In Massive you can route an LFO to a 4 pole low pass filter with a U shaped curve and drag a macro to the rate knob and the same cutoff on the LPF. The sound comes from that, and a combination of a bit crusher. I set the bit crusher to gradually decrease the downsampling rate over time. I personally don't like the Bitcrusher in Massive, so I use this one.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84260720/Vocal%20Bass.mp3

I hope this helped!!
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 05 Dec 2012 21:05

good heavens I'm going to have nightmares tonight now.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Raddons » 05 Dec 2012 21:15

Oh, cmon. It's not that bad!!
Raddons

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 05 Dec 2012 21:20

It was fine, illustrated the point well! it slightly freaked me out was all :P
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Mondogreen » 10 Dec 2012 22:38

phase, feedback, sample&hold, and a lowpass filter. Now that you know the elements of a good cheer, let's hear one:
https://soundcloud.com/djmon/talking-bass-example
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby cloudshovit » 10 Dec 2012 23:32

1. Bitcrush/Distortion.

2. use the formant filter on Sugar Bytes Wow Filter.

3. Profit.
cloudshovit

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 10 Dec 2012 23:34

Lavender_Harmony

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 11 Dec 2012 14:03

Modern talking -12

LFO5 modulates the wt position.

Add dimension expander. Works well with Brutal Electro 2.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Dec 2012 15:18

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Modern talking -12

Any LFO you please modulates anything you please.

Anyway-- Sample-and-Hold. Then low-pass filter.
Use of Modern Talking will make you look newbie or lazy, and it makes almost everyone wince when they here it, so it's best learn how it's really done. The way I just illustrated takes just about as much effort as Modern Talking does and it's a lot more diverse with what you can do with it.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 11 Dec 2012 15:33

Captain Ironhelm wrote:

Use of Modern Talking will make you look newbie or lazy, and it makes almost everyone wince when they here it, so it's best learn how it's really done. The way I just illustrated takes just about as much effort as Modern Talking does and it's a lot more diverse with what you can do with it.

They're both pretty cliche at this point. I've heard Modern Talking in context before, and it honestly isn't as overused as people claim. Most people say what you described, using Sample and Hold (Which is Massive speak for Bitcrusher) is Modern Talking. Anything that goes wah, yoi, or any vowel sound, to most people, is 'Modern Talking'.

Besides, I'm sure none of you have tried pitch bend phase modulation on Modern Talking with a Bend- sweep over the wavetable. :P MT does more than what you hear when you move the first knob.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Dec 2012 15:49

thanks for correcting me, I hate spouting a bunch of hooey.

anyway, I just don't like people bragging because they know how to set an LFO on the wavetable and use Modern Talking dry as it is.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 11 Dec 2012 16:36

Captain Ironhelm wrote:thanks for correcting me, I hate spouting a bunch of hooey.

anyway, I just don't like people bragging because they know how to set an LFO on the wavetable and use Modern Talking dry as it is.

I agree with that, but still, if mixed in well and layered alongside other sounds:

http://soundcloud.com/coyotekisses/acid-w-lfpack

:>
Lavender_Harmony

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 11 Dec 2012 20:02

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
Captain Ironhelm wrote:

They're both pretty cliche at this point. I've heard Modern Talking in context before, and it honestly isn't as overused as people claim. Most people say what you described, using Sample and Hold (Which is Massive speak for Bitcrusher) is Modern Talking. Anything that goes wah, yoi, or any vowel sound, to most people, is 'Modern Talking'.

Besides, I'm sure none of you have tried pitch bend phase modulation on Modern Talking with a Bend- sweep over the wavetable. :P MT does more than what you hear when you move the first knob.

Lol only Mallard makes that mistake.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby cloudshovit » 11 Dec 2012 22:15

also checkout SeamlessR on youtube. He seem to have all that talking bass stuff covered, he mostly uses Harmor but he also has Massive and Sytrus tutorials.

And also Image-Line is having an end of the world sale if you wanna go legit. 45$ for Harmor, which can do a whole lot more than Massive.
cloudshovit

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 11 Dec 2012 22:54

cloudshovit wrote:also checkout SeamlessR on youtube. He seem to have all that talking bass stuff covered, he mostly uses Harmor but he also has Massive and Sytrus tutorials.

And also Image-Line is having an end of the world sale if you wanna go legit. 45$ for Harmor, which can do a whole lot more than Massive.

Please don't compare an additive synth to a subtractive... they're completely different and have totally different applications >_<
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Dec 2012 23:02

cloudshovit wrote:... Harmor, which can do a whole lot more than Massive.

Captain Ironhelm

Postby cloudshovit » 12 Dec 2012 00:12

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
cloudshovit wrote:also checkout SeamlessR on youtube. He seem to have all that talking bass stuff covered, he mostly uses Harmor but he also has Massive and Sytrus tutorials.

Please don't compare an additive synth to a subtractive... they're completely different and have totally different applications >_<

Sorry if its OT. My bad, didn't know this was a subtractive synth specific topic. I was just actually thinking about the techniques for making the talking bass part only. :oops: I really I just wanted to give a friendly advice for people who want to save, its more like comparing a 45$ synth that can also do yois well to a 199$ synth thats mostly used for yois. But it seems you guys are all happy with massive, so its OK.

Also http://www.kvraudio.com/product/forma_8 ... tter_audio plus a bitcrusher can turn any synth, subtractive or otherwise into a talking bass without spending 200$. I am actually a fan of massive, but for not for bass or electro stuff. The pads and key sounds from massive are underrated. The only reason why I'm not using it other than it being a CPU hog, is because I can't afford it. How I wish I can afford it or NI could lower its price, but NI being wise knows that dirty wobble bass = money. NI are constantly releasing awesome yoi friendly plugins these days. Skanner, Lazerbass and my favorite, Razor.

Another suggestion on what I used to do with Massive is sample it on Directwave, which lowers my CPU use A LOT. This also used to be the free alternative to Directwave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRZAZ0jC_0 but its no longer free.
Last edited by cloudshovit on 12 Dec 2012 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
cloudshovit

Postby cloudshovit » 12 Dec 2012 00:43

Oh and you can get the exact VST emulation of the Dimension Expander effect for free here http://www.xferrecords.com/freeware/

And check out CurveCM, you can get it for free along with other great plugins if you buy a copy of Computer Music for 3$. You can draw any shape you like on its oscillator and LFO and with semimodular routing as well. SynthmasteCM from this month also looks useful for yoi stuff.
cloudshovit

Postby Omegastick » 15 Dec 2012 18:49

It's pretty easy to do a talking bass for free.

Get a waveform with lots and lots of harmonics (probably some FM synthesis). Put a lowpass filter, a bitcrusher (with about 20db of drive and 21x downsampling (or at least those are the settings I use, your mileage may vary) and an EQ set up to the vowel sounds (mentioned earlier in the thread). Automate the EQ for the vowel sounds, the waveform volume for 'y' sounds and the filter cutoff for 'w' sounds. Bam, easy to do with all free software talking bass, you just have to know a little bit more about what is causing each sound.
Omegastick

Return to Technique