Tips on getting Pinkie Pie Swear sounds?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Tips on getting Pinkie Pie Swear sounds?

Postby prozeyic » 03 Dec 2012 05:09

Hello world! I'm sorta new to this forum.

So can anyone provide some helpful tips or links on how get orgasmic sounds like Pinkie Pie Swear?
I mainly want to figure out how to get those really soothing pads, and those soft strings. Along with the awesome chimy leads. I'm using Reason 5 at the moment. I'm getting my head around Thor, but I don't really know how to use the Graintable and Subtraktor synths. I figured that PPS would probably be using something that loads samples for the strings and Thor doesn't really do that.

Also, I've been looking through this forum and it seems like it's really gonna help me stick with the whole music making thing. There's tons of content and I've seen some of my favourite artists poking around.

Anyways, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks again.
prozeyic

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Tips on getting Pinkie Pie Swear sounds?

Postby Raddons » 03 Dec 2012 08:23

I believe he uses Nexus for pads.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 03 Dec 2012 08:47

I think he just uses Nexus, but that doesn't get anywhere with synth design. . .

lots of things you can do for pads, I'll just drop a couple ideas.
strings can be easily synthed with say a sine wave, add a bit of chorus on it, and then put a moderate amount of reverb on. Putting a band-pass on it can help carve out the frequencies to make it more string sounding.
Adding a triangle can make a sound hollower and/or sparkley. You could test by either having the triangle at the same pitch, or pitch it up by an octave. White noise can also add in a lot of harmonics if you keep the volume of it under control, and also by using high-pass filter so all you get is the high-end noise. Saw waves can add fizzy harmonics, too.
putting a slow sine or triangle lfo on a filter (keep the change very small) can easily make a pad's sound change with time and thus stay interesting.

There's a couple ideas, hope they can help.
Last edited by Captain Ironhelm on 03 Dec 2012 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Raddons » 03 Dec 2012 08:55

Also if you're using Massive you can always try some of the hybrid waveforms while adjusting the intensity knob. Playing around with them is always fun.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby derpytunes » 03 Dec 2012 23:00

Nexus is the answer. It's currently on sale, but still expensive. http://www.dskmusic.com/ This site has a bunch of great free synths. Try ethereal padz 2 for a some soothing pads.
derpytunes

Postby ChocolateChicken » 04 Dec 2012 00:28

Where did people get the idea that PinkiePieSwear uses Nexus? I'm curious because I've never heard him say that before. Also, he's said in the past that he does not use presets, and he used to encourage others to stay away from presets as well. So if it turned out that he does indeed use Nexus then I'd be surprised.

If I'm not completely wrong, all of his songs, from "Sunshine and Celery Stalks" and earlier, were produced in FL Studio. Knowing FL Studio, he most likely used the amazing built in synths in that program, which leads me to speculate that he used Sytrus quite a bit.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby TranquilHooves » 04 Dec 2012 12:34

:3
http://pinkiepieswear.tumblr.com/post/2 ... essons-its
Eh, I honestly don't want to use Nexus cause it sounds cheap and any other producer will probably disregard you when they hear those cliche leads and pads. And it's fun to actually screw around in synths :D
TranquilHooves

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sick Skrill Wubs™

Postby Paianni » 04 Dec 2012 16:06

Hmmm, maybe you should be finding your own sounds before you try making anything original. Just keep experimenting with plugins, synths and stuff until you find something you're happy with.
Paianni

Postby prozeyic » 04 Dec 2012 20:40

I much prefer creating my own sounds, makes me feel like my music is more original. However I do download other people patches and presets just to see how they got a certain sound that's similar to what I want.

The thing I'd most appreciate is advice on how to create the sound, so I can understand it on a base level. Much like what Captain did
prozeyic

Postby prozeyic » 05 Dec 2012 05:19

Any suggestions on what I should look up? Can you link me to some articles or something?

I'll get my head in the books but a little push in the right direction would be helpful, thanks for the advice.
prozeyic

Postby bartekko » 05 Dec 2012 09:23

[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Q-Dert » 05 Dec 2012 10:17

^Fantastic link, thank you very much.
Q-Dert

Return to Technique