Which Edition of Fl Studio Should I Get?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Which Edition of Fl Studio Should I Get?

Postby cloudshovit » 27 Nov 2012 06:24

Well, with the way that Ableton's designed, it doesn't really need dual monitor support like FL does. FL, to me, is incredibly messy. The detached and windowed mixers, patterns, effects, and what have you all tend to get in the way. With Ableton, everything's consolidated into a simple interface.

Also, curved automation is not important. If really required, you can just spend the 5-10 seconds and add more breakpoints. At any rate, Ableton 9 will have curved automation :)

The lifetime free updates are pretty cool, though. Consumer-wise, FL dominates Ableton's prices.

Apples and oranges. Sytrus is the only FM synth out of the ones you mentioned.

I do think it boils down to if you really want Sytrus and Maximus or not (and also Harmless is a great synth too!).

Oh, I agree. I just meant that if I was going to synthesize a sound in general, I'd almost always prefer Sylenth or Massive. If I really wanted to use FM I would use FM8. I'm not denying that Sytrus is a great little synth, I just think there's better options out there.[/quote]

Aesthetically, I really like Ableton's minimimalist design the most honestly. Although the new FL betas are looking good as well. I just don't feel at ease with the way Ableton is layed out though. But I'm really hoping that FL would take some ideas on how Ableton handles track freezing and recording as they look more intuitive. Fortunately Gol (FL's main developer) seem to be less of an A-hole nowadays and is really listening to what users have to say. And yes the detached windows can get a bit messy but I think their working having an option that can make it lock in place. What I often do is use the sequencer, piano roll and the mixer on one screen and maximize the playlist on the other screen. Also I'm not that big of a fan of using automation clips, I prefer using the envelope controller for my automations.

I would rather have Abletons Operator over Sytrus as it looks more user-friendly. Toxic Biohazard is an easier FM synth to learn. Don't just get FL just because Sytrus. Gol himself said he has no future plans for Sytrus and it could be phased out since it was developed on an obsolete programming code or something. UI on Sytrus is not that good and Gol has no plans of changing that.
cloudshovit

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 27 Nov 2012 14:31

I was about to say, "oh cool, you're Filipino!" Cuz I'm part Filipino too. But of course, you had to insult teh Fr00ty Lewps...
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby itroitnyah » 27 Nov 2012 15:36

cloudshovit wrote:I don't mean to knock Ableton users, but I kinda feel sorry for those guys for still not having dual monitor support
Ableton can be used on dual monitors (as seen in this video here):

I don't know how though. I think that a friend of mine said that there's something you can download that allows you to do this, but I don't know what it is.

Thyrai wrote:Well, with the way that Ableton's designed, it doesn't really need dual monitor support like FL does. FL, to me, is incredibly messy. The detached and windowed mixers, patterns, effects, and what have you all tend to get in the way. With Ableton, everything's consolidated into a simple interface.
I agree, that FL can be really messy, which is why it would be nice for Image Line to add in a "sticky window" feature where you can put the window where you want, and then you can't shift it or resize it without holding down another key, like the shift key or something. They should also have a setting where synths will open where you tell them to, like if you put Massive in a corner of the screen, you can open the drop down menu and select "Open all synths/plugins in this location" and it'll open all synths and plugins in that location.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby K3WRO » 29 Nov 2012 01:32

If your short on money, buy producer, just don't buy the fruity or express ones, they're not worth the price, Just save up for 3rd party vsts and buy extensions from imageline if you have the chance. if your interested in sytus, Maximus, Hardcore and all that other stuff, then get signature, totally worth it.
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Sonarch » 25 Dec 2012 11:41

cloudshovit wrote:
XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:WAIT UNTIL CHRISTMAS. The products are 50% off and you can nab the signature bundle for an epic $150! It's what I did and it will be your best purchase ever. Also, if you need help with what all the stuff does, feel free to ask.

thats what I'm doing now... man can't wait for their Christmas sale. then FL 11s coming

Where is this Christmas sale I need it
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Dec 2012 12:16

isn't image-line having an "end of the world" sale where all products are 50% off right now?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Sonarch » 25 Dec 2012 12:23

It seems like it's still 299 for the signature one...
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby cloudshovit » 25 Dec 2012 12:39

just the plugins. you can get the plugins that are in the signature version and theyll subtract it if you upgrade
cloudshovit

Postby Sonarch » 25 Dec 2012 13:15

Oh sexy. Cool.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Sonarch » 25 Dec 2012 14:51

Wait, the signature version at the moment only has 2 plugins that are actually over 45 bucks, so if I got those separately I would only save about 30 dollars wat
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby LFP » 25 Dec 2012 15:24

It's because those are at a discount ATM, and you can only use the discount once I belive.
The plugins without the discount is like 200$ :\
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Sonarch » 25 Dec 2012 15:32

But the signature one was always 299.. i'm so confused
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 25 Dec 2012 18:31

the sale doesn't discount the Signature bundle, it's only for separate plugins.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Sonarch » 26 Dec 2012 00:09

okay, so if I get Maximus and Sytrus, and then maybe whatever else I might want, on the sale, I can then get the signature thing at normal price minus Sytrus and Maximus.
I say this because those two are over 45 dollars each in the signature set, so if I get them, the cost of those is chopped off the price and I'm saving money.

Am I making any sense?
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby VINXIS » 26 Dec 2012 10:35

just get dr. drum... I don't see what's hard about it......

I don't even use FL, but I have all the different versions, get producer edition
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Previous

Return to Technique