Christmas Music Composition Help

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Christmas Music Composition Help

Postby Raddons » 20 Nov 2012 17:11

Sleigh Bells and Bb major.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Christmas Music Composition Help

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Nov 2012 17:54

You can make any scale sound christmas-y. What you really meant is how do I make a melody that sounds christmas-y. If we look at common christmas songs, we view them as christmas songs because that's what society associates them with. I'm fairly certain that if "jingle bells" hadn't been made using it's current tune, and a death metal band used the jingle bells tune for one of their songs, then we wouldn't think of the current jingle bells song that's been remade into a death metal song with different lyrics, as a christmas song. So to get the christmas-y feel in a melody, just make it happy sounding, which it's easier to make happy sounding with major scales, but can be done with minor scales as well. Also, imagery plays a part as well. If you had vocals about Fluttershy's animal friends, that wouldn't be very christmas-y, but if you had vocals about Fluttershy spending christmas with her animal friends, that'd help imply the christmas spirit. And don't forget wallpaper. A picture of Fluttershy nodding her head to the beat wouldn't help imply christmas spirit, but a picture of Fluttershy opening presents with her animal friends around a christmas tree would.

But also examine some of the instruments used in christmas songs. I don't know of a christmas song that has a deep, dark, and heavy bassline, usually you imagine "brighter" instruments, like bells, pianos, violins. Once again, part of the imagery.

Or, that's my take on making christmas music. I'm sure that Lavender or somebody else with years of experience would be able to help you out better than I
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique