Looking for a MIDI keyboard

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Looking for a MIDI keyboard

Postby DJ Skrudge » 19 Nov 2012 06:14

So I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced MIDI keyboard, but I don't know exactly what would suit my needs. I'm just starting out with REAPER but hoping to move to FL Studio some time in the near future, and I'd like a keyboard that works well with these programs... Also, a mod wheel is a MUST, and any other knobs or pads that come with it would be greatly appreciated. From your experiences, what would you guys recommend? Looking at a $150-$200 range if at all possible. Thank you! :)
I worship Fluttershy.
DJ Skrudge

Re: Looking for a MIDI keyboard

Postby UnderKeel » 19 Nov 2012 06:26

Normal or compact?
Just for example:
AKAI MPK25
loop =~=~=~=~=~
Hi. All my works here:
YouTube
SoundCloud
end loop -~-~_~-~-
UnderKeel

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 19 Nov 2012 06:37

http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-QX49-Extended-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B004JPSYZU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=38JX8STQ93BWI&coliid=I1I0MTZLDFH857

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-9900-52239-10-KeyRig-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B000NGG3HU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=38JX8STQ93BWI&coliid=I1LZTSDUSO4JTG
(There are models with more keys)

Be aware that I do not own any of these. Above I listed a couple that I'm considering. What I own is an Akai LPK25 because I needed something small for travel, but it has no mod wheel.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Omegastick » 19 Nov 2012 09:18

I wouldn't recommend the M-Audio controller that Captain posted. Although I don't own it personally I've used it a fair bit and it feels rather flimsy. It also has hardly any extra controls on it, only having a slider, three buttons, one pitch bend wheel and one regular wheel on top of the normal keys.
Omegastick

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 19 Nov 2012 12:35

Omegastick wrote:I wouldn't recommend the M-Audio controller that Captain posted. Although I don't own it personally I've used it a fair bit and it feels rather flimsy. It also has hardly any extra controls on it, only having a slider, three buttons, one pitch bend wheel and one regular wheel on top of the normal keys.

ooh thanks. Seems like I'll settle for something different when spending time comes around.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby MRPPony » 19 Nov 2012 13:26

Omegastick wrote:I wouldn't recommend the M-Audio controller...it feels rather flimsy...

-already bought this a while back-
I'll say.
Nah, it works with its KeyRig VST, but with DAWs, at least with FLStudio, there's nice delay going on. Not entirely sure why tbh, but because of that the Modulation/Bend controls don't work.
As for it feeling 'flimsy', tbh all but grand pianos i've messed about with gave that feeling. Probably normal for piano keyboards but whatever.

If you can actually play piano or want to learn it, this is something good to get. But if you just needs something for 'hands on' producing, get a smaller one. Even those who can play a piano has a small compact keyboard cause lets face it, you're not going to fluently play an entire original with two hands as you're writing it.....so yeah get a compact one =3
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby the4thImpulse » 19 Nov 2012 13:31

MRPPony wrote:
Omegastick wrote:I wouldn't recommend the M-Audio controller...it feels rather flimsy...

I'll say.
Nah, it works with its KeyRig VST, but with DAWs, at least with FLStudio, there's nice delay going on.

That would be an issue with your soundcard. Most midi devices have terrible lag when used in conjunction with your computers built-in soundcard.

OP, if you don't have a soundcard then get one before getting a midi keyboard.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 19 Nov 2012 13:47

Not going to provide links, because I'm in the UK, but here are a few top recommendations:

Novation ReMOTE MKII - I hold this in very high regard, it's old, but still one of the best midi keyboards out there, with plenty control capability, with sliders, rotary knobs, a joystick which cats as your mod wheel and pitch bend, and an x/y pad for extra expression.

AKAI MPK - Lot's of control here also, drum pads, knobs and a decent keybed on it.

M Audio Axiom - Decent interface controls, the semi-weighted keys feel really nice and allow for lots of expression, 8 knobs and pads, nowhere near as much as the above though but may be more in your budget

Nektar Panorama - Probably top of the list in my opinion, comes with plenty controls, but one killer feature as a producer is the on-keyboard motorized faders.

Now these are all pretty pricey, but do remember a lot of places can give you them on finance, so bear that in mind when choosing a keyboard, it's better to invest than buy some cheap nasty thing and regret it later on, I know, I did for uni.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby derpytunes » 19 Nov 2012 13:53

MRPPony wrote:

I'll say.
Nah, it works with its KeyRig VST, but with DAWs, at least with FLStudio, there's nice delay going on. Not entirely sure why tbh, but because of that the Modulation/Bend controls don't work

I own the m-audio keystation 61 and there is a delay with fl only if your using the regular audio drivers. When I swith to ASIO4ALL the response is much faster. And all the controls work just fine.
derpytunes

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Nov 2012 14:12

Just look for anything that's Akai or Alesis in brand. Those are the two that are the highest rated brands, but if an M-Audio keyboard is highly rated, then buy that. Asking us on MLR, you'll get somewhat limited, one-sided responses, so the best places to shop for midi keyboards are:

Amazon (link to MIDI Keyboard catergory)

Musicians Friend

These are the main two that I know of, there are also retailers that will sell midis, but generally retailers like best buy won't have the greatest selection, and they might not be the best place to go and buy them. There will be the occasional specialty music equipment store, so you can go to these specialty stores and they'll be helpful, plus you can try out keyboards for yourself. Don't forget to look at reviews for keyboards that you have your eyes on.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby DijiTwitch » 19 Nov 2012 19:05

I use an M-audio 61-keystation. I also have a casio PX-575R with midi in (though I pretty much only ever send the audio directly into the PC for recording). I like the M-audio because it has inputs on the back for both suspend and soften expression pedals. Very handly if you want your synths to sound more natural without spending an hour tweaking notes in one pattern. There's not much for automation controls, just one modulation knob and a pitch bend knob, and the obligatory octave switchers. If you just need something to screw around on to see how synths sound, it's a solid midi controller. I even played a show on it once, using a voice out of kontakt on my brother's laptop, haha.
DijiTwitch

Postby MRPPony » 26 Nov 2012 14:57

the4thImpulse wrote:
MRPPony wrote:

I'll say.
Nah, it works with its KeyRig VST, but with DAWs, at least with FLStudio, there's nice delay going on.

That would be an issue with your soundcard. Most midi devices have terrible lag when used in conjunction with your computers built-in soundcard.

Oh, that's the reason why? Well I've been planning on upgrading my sound card but held off on it since I assume there would be virtually no difference but alright. I was looking for something where I can directly connect studio monitors to but an audio interface is what I was told I'd need no matter what.

We all should do video reviews on our equipment. Would make life easy on all of us
(=´∀`)人(´∀`=)
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby EquinoxEurobeat » 02 Dec 2012 21:10

Okay, if you're on a budget like me, I'd suggest the Axiom A.I.R. Mini 32. It's 99 bucks and amazing. It's got all the features that I want. The only downside is that it's a mini keyboard, meaning it has those mini keys. Some people hate 'em, but I actually like working with them. Right on my desk when I need to input/edit something. I think I may post a full review on here soon.

EquinoxEurobeat

Postby Paianni » 04 Dec 2012 15:20

I got an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 to complement my MacBook Pro when I started to make music from home. Its a bit too big and the feature set was a bit too much for me, but it feels well built and the keys feel nice, so its a win for me. But I have to either lay it on the bed or the dinner table every time I want to compose something with it. :/
Paianni

Return to Technique