What's this?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

What's this?

Postby Sugarholik » 25 Sep 2011 10:41

Among the basic waveforms (sine, saw etc.) I found something that's called 'sync saw' in my synth. If anyone knows what this is, I'd like to have some details. (This isn't very important but I'm just eager to find out how things work.)

It has just one adjustable parameter which is 'sync off' and units are in 1/2 tones. As a default its value is 0 and it sounds just like a normal saw wave. When the value is increased, you'll hear something similiar to flanger or something until it reaches first even harmonic (1 octave or 12 1/2 tones). Then it sounds again just like a regular saw except as if it was transposed 1 octave higher. When further increased you'll hear again some weird flanger-ish things until it reaches the next even harmonic. Then the same thing happens again. It sounds normal but its pitch is equal to second even harmonic. And it keeps going like that.
Any ideas?
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What's this?

Postby Whitetail » 25 Sep 2011 10:50

Sounds like it's 2 saws layered on top of each other that are detuned from each other as you mess with the sync, causing the flanger effect from the sound of them being identical but slightly out of tune with each other and just turning into an octave when you adjust it all the way. At least going off your description, could you render a sample so we can hear it?
Whitetail

Re: What's this?

Postby Sugarholik » 25 Sep 2011 12:55

http://www.mediafire.com/?1yup7gx8lnsnzdu
There. I set the sync off to elevate from 0 to 36 in 20 seconds. The flanger-ish thing i mentioned is most clear in the beginning.
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique