Drum n Bass

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Drum n Bass

Postby soup2504 » 08 Feb 2012 16:23

Ooooooook.... Yeah, I need some help with making some DnB, mainly with the bass. Of course, I am requesting more than oooonneeeee.....

OK
SO I NEED SOME TIPS FOR MAKING THE BASS FOR:
LIQUID
WELL, NORMAL
JUNGLE
DARK

THE SYNTHS I USE ARE:
NI MASSIVE
SYLENTH 1
AND SYTRUS, IF I FEEL LIKE IT.

I DO NOT WANT PRESETS, BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO WORK FOR ME!

Allcaps.
soup2504

Re: Drum n Bass

Postby Makkon » 08 Feb 2012 16:39

First, my friend, get yourself some proper DnB drumloops

http://www.rhythm-lab.com/102-drum-n-bass-drumloops
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Random111223 » 08 Feb 2012 17:01

That's kind of a hard question to answer, because there isn't any ordinary bass which you slap into the song depending on the genre. I suggest you read how to use Massive (the best synth out of those imho), learn what every knob does etc. Youtube-tutorials are also a huge help and there are tons of them. And also most importantly, analyze your favourite songs and experiment.

Assuming you dont know the basics; there's basicly two kinds of bass: the sub-bass and the "normal" bass. The sub-bass is usually a basic sine-wave below the 80hz mark which will make the song more "full". Then there's the normal bass which can be really anything you want, as long as: 1. it's fat :lol: 2. it's revolving around 70-300hz 3. it sounds good.

Also, a good way to practise is trying to recreate a song you like.
Random111223

Postby soup2504 » 08 Feb 2012 21:09

Random111223 wrote:Youtube-tutorials are also a huge help and there are tons of them.

Yes... Found one for some normal reese bass.... I haven't really searched for liquid, but I'm sure there is something for that, dark DnB bass.... Uh..... Don't see it, same for jungle :C

WELP, OFF TO AN ADVENTURE!
soup2504

Postby [voodoopony] » 10 Feb 2012 09:26

It's best to learn to walk before you run. If you expect to jump right into music by making drum and bass, it may set up for a huge motivational crush when you realize you can't Noisia or Pendulululms immediately.

Practice chops, sequencing, doubling the tempo to work with ease, EQing/compression, etc. Basically, no matter what genre you want to do, you end up having to learn the same things someone else needs to know to make jazz. Just make music, and once you know how to music, you can do anything you want.

Also, give it a couple years. If you have no experience, it's only natural that it will take at least a year before you begin to develop techniques and utilize your DAW efficiently.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby Icky » 10 Feb 2012 09:52

I've been browsing youtube, and multiple forums myself looking for DnB bass tutorials and advice. The standard DnB bass (not the subbass) is usually a reese bass with a ton of filters, effects, distortion and EQ on it.
From what I've heard artists like Spor and Noisia usually resample their sounds, to mess them up even more, so if you're looking for that really dirty reese sound you hear in darkstep DnB that's probably the way to go.
Icky

Postby soup2504 » 10 Feb 2012 14:20

[voodoopony] wrote:It's best to learn to walk before you run. If you expect to jump right into music by making drum and bass, it may set up for a huge motivational crush when you realize you can't Noisia or Pendulululms immediately.

Yes, I know this, but I would at least like to know how to make some bass to practice that, too, and I wouldn't think I could be as good as noisa or Pendulum on the first time, I actually think very lowly when it comes to things I make.
soup2504

Postby H8_Seed » 10 Feb 2012 18:12

Basically, one of the biggest elements in any genre of DnB is a sub-bass. Almost all DnB songs have a near omnipresent sub-bass.
"The sky isn't falling, it's being thrown at us!!!"
H8_Seed

Postby [voodoopony] » 11 Feb 2012 00:31

soup2504 wrote:Yes, I know this, but I would at least like to know how to make some bass to practice that, too, and I wouldn't think I could be as good as noisa or Pendulum on the first time, I actually think very lowly when it comes to things I make.

Don't think lowly of your works, everyone starts somewhere ;D Try listening to a wide variety of quality tunes, and it can work as inspiration or ideas for your work. Never compare yourself to other artists though, it's easy to fall into.
I'd look around on Youtube for tutorials on making deep electronic bass and whatnot, not to sound like Skleenex or anything but you learn a lot about your DAW when doing so.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby soup2504 » 11 Feb 2012 09:51

[voodoopony] wrote:
soup2504 wrote:Don't think lowly of your works, everyone starts somewhere ;D Try listening to a wide variety of quality tunes, and it can work as inspiration or ideas for your work. Never compare yourself to other artists though, it's easy to fall into.
I'd look around on Youtube for tutorials on making deep electronic bass and whatnot, not to sound like Skleenex or anything but you learn a lot about your DAW when doing so.

I can't help but think lowly of my own work, but whenever I think lowly of my own work, other people usually like it, My first song posted on here people liked, which I thought it was sloppily done, and I still remember the shock in the crowd for the piano recital I had to do a few years ago with my own song.

But even with knowing this, I still think my music just doesn't sound right. Listening to a wide variety of quality tunes... Hah, been doing that for much too long, and I would've never started making my own music(that wasn't piano, of course) if it wasn't for the brony musicians, so there's most of my inspiration.

Skleenex..... Nice one......
soup2504

Return to Technique