Kick distortion (Electro guys this means you)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Kick distortion (Electro guys this means you)

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 09 Jul 2011 19:41

I'm writing an industrial cyber goth style song and I have the problem where as I lay down (HEAVY) distortion on the kicks, they come out waaaaaaay too loud. They are way louder than the bass and melody. What do you suggest I do? Also, I think the latency is screwing up the sound of my open saw bassline. Any tips?
This is the sound I'm going for:
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Re: Kick distortion (Electro guys this means you)

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Jul 2011 19:52

Most distortions have a control for gain and one for volume. Turn up gain, bring down the volume.

That said, you might want to look into compressors to even out your sound a bit.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 09 Jul 2011 20:06

Thanks a mill! *bronyhoof* I'm gonna try that
Now how about that annoying latency thing? It's interfering w/ the notes in the bass making it sound hella sour.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby ArtAttack » 12 Jul 2011 09:10

Not sure what you mean by latency.
Also, commenting to say that that's a ridiculously cool music video.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Whitetail » 12 Jul 2011 09:21

Bagpipe wrote:Also, I think the latency is screwing up the sound of my open saw bassline. Any tips?

If there is latency effecting your program, all the channels should be receiving the same amount of latency and thus it wouldn't mess with any in specific.

Are you:
-Putting delay on it with the mix set to 100%?
-Using a bass with the Attack set to a fairly high value?

What effects are you using on your bass?
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 12 Jul 2011 10:51

Well I just have some slight reverb on it. I was mistaked by latency, I meant that after-sound that immediately follows the kick when it's distorted. like a "boing" type if sound. I didn't have that problem when I was using massive to make my bassline but now I'm using a nexus sample.
I don't think I'm doing either of those. Should I be?
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 12 Jul 2011 11:50

No, you said you were having problems with latency on the bass so I was trying to figure out what could possibly cause the bass to be behind everything else, those were the only things that came to mind.
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 12 Jul 2011 12:45

does it make a difference that the band in that video are using an electric drumkit instead of some sequenced drums?
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 12 Jul 2011 12:50

Bagpipe Brony wrote:does it make a difference that the band in that video are using an electric drumkit instead of some sequenced drums?

Nah that shouldn't make a difference - while they use that for live shows it's most likely sequenced in the album version. Doesn't really matter the genre, these days quite often the album versions of any song the drums are sequenced or done via samples, you can get drum replacement software which actually analyzes a drum track played on the actual drums and replaces it with a sampled track for more precision.
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 12 Jul 2011 13:16

That's trippy. I wonder if they perhaps stemmed the drums w/ the distortion and then added them to the rest?
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Sugarholik » 15 Jul 2011 06:39

I tried using heavy distortion on kick and i think i know what you mean with the ''boing'' sound...
If we talk about the same thing, it should disappear when either reducing gain or warmth of the distortion.
And if you don't want to change the distortion, and if your software allows to edit envelopes you may want to cut the end off. When sound is distorted the decay time tends to get longer anyway so it should be possible to cut the end off whitout dramatically changing the sound of the kick.
I hope that helps...
Last edited by Sugarholik on 16 Jul 2011 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
Holy fuck, it's been such a long time! Thanks all 'yall everyponies! If you're a familiar username on a nostalgia trip, I sincerely hope life's been treating you well. I've certainly had quite a journey! The ride never ends! <3

Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby PinkieGuy » 15 Jul 2011 07:39

So, I know that this probably doesn't actually help the issue in hand, but I have a folder of various distored kick and snare drums samples that I use for Hardstyle stuff. That would be your other option?
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique