Vocoder Help (If it's even possible.)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Vocoder Help (If it's even possible.)

Postby Navron » 08 Jan 2012 18:37

So I'm relatively new to Vocoders. I've played around with the one that came with Cubase 5, and it produces a nice sound, but I keep seeing forum posts across the web suggesting ways of using an external VST (ex. Massive) as a carrier, such as this one:

http://www.dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195631
vocoder on audio channel, with the voice you want to alter. put a synth, massive for example, on a midi channel. set your vocoder to receive it's audio from an external source - in this case massive. turn the midi channel's volume all the way down, then start playing notes on massive which will affect the original audio (your sample of a voice).

Seems straight forward, but I can't seem to get this to work, and this is the best advice I've been able to find from various searches. Anybody familiar with Cubase know how to set this up, if it's even possible?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Re: Vocoder Help (If it's even possible.)

Postby Sugarholik » 16 Jan 2012 03:44

Hmmmm...
I've only got what you could call an ancestor of Cubase 5 straight from the stone age. :D
This means I may be wrong...
...But I believe what you need is sidechaining from the synth channel to your vocoder. Assing them under the same group channel. Do it by right click, 'add track' and 'group channel'. Then select the group channel from the 'output'-section of your synth and vocoder track.
Go to your synth track and look at the sends-section and see if you can select your vocoder from there. Turn the send level up and track volume down. Also check that your vocoder receives stuff from external source.
That's just a good quess, chances are I have horribly mistaken :S
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Technique