Let's talk vinyl

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Let's talk vinyl

Postby DerpyGrooves » 07 Jul 2011 11:36

Sup everypony. I just KNOW there are some applebuckin DJs in here that gotta love getting their hooves on some slick vinyl.

One of my favorite things on earth is cratedigging @ the local thrift stores, since every record is either one or two $s. The other day I came home with a mint copy of Dark Side of the Moon (With the posters/stickers in!!), Jackie Gleason's "Music for Lovers Only" (Spent 150+ weeks in the billboard top 10), Boots Randolph's Yakety Sax, a JFK memorial album with one side filled up with speeches and the other side filled with radio coverage of his assassination and a MINT copy of Carla Bley's Escalator Over the Hill.

So what's everypony spinning, and where did you find it?
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Let's talk vinyl

Postby Mosche Swaggenberger » 07 Jul 2011 12:07

Ever since I got Serato I haven't really bought much vinyl anymore, since it's so costly. But I have some old records I like. Got the Close Encounters of the Third Kind OST, for some reason.
Mosche Swaggenberger

Postby natsukashi » 30 Sep 2011 16:40

I mostly find myself spending too much money on post-rock vinyls, I also want to get my hand on Vegan Reich - Hardline 7". I usually buy online because I'm a snob and swedish garage sales won't yield much american post-rock or hardcore anyway!
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby Facade » 30 Sep 2011 19:33

i've got progressive house rock and roll alternative stuff like that sadly no complextro cause skrillex is a jerk D:
some of the stuff i have
deadmau5 4x4=12
weezer pork and beans
ac/dc highway to hell
areosmith
mumford and sons
and alot more
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Andy Feelin » 01 Oct 2011 02:05

I've got all collection of my father and my ex-girlfriend's grandfather, but most of it is USSR or Eastern Bloc stuff.
The only vinyl I bought recently is Trentenmöller's Into The Great Wide Yonder
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby [voodoopony] » 02 Oct 2011 12:57

Everyday I'd walked down to the Electric Chair down my street and blow my money off on a stack of records. One day they just offered me their entire record stash for 5 bucks. I loaded them all up in my dad's truck and took off ^-^

Most of those records weren't what I was interested in though. I love collecting for samples/sound effects/anything cool I can use on tracks [same ole same ole]. I haven't the funds to collect as much in the recent but I'm definitely getting back into it eventually.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby d.notive » 02 Oct 2011 16:51

I love, love, love, vinyl.

I was able to get almost every album by The System for less than $20... and finding Kraftwerk's "Tour de France?" ... it was practically a religious experience.
d.notive is Matt Larson & <other insert vocalist>

DAW: Sonar 6 P.E.

<SilvaHound> I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT THERE'S SOMEPONY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS HIS DISCO MORE THAN I
d.notive

Return to Technique