Getting Known?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Getting Known?

Postby HMage » 10 Nov 2012 06:49

Is there any specific need you want to be on the radar?

Be careful with that, depending on how much free time you have, spending time getting yourself better known might eat your music-making focus.

Unless you want to make music be your source of income (which is harder than just getting well known), I say you shouldn't worry about exposure and focus on enjoying making music.

If someone ends up liking what you write — that's a bonus.

Participate in events and toastbeard because it gives you deadlines that help you hone your skills. If that event ends up making you better known — that's a bonus too.

It's a win/win.

I think that ability to write good music is more important than the size of fanbase.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby GhostXb » 10 Nov 2012 16:14

HMage wrote:Is there any specific need you want to be on the radar?

Be careful with that, depending on how much free time you have, spending time getting yourself better known might eat your music-making focus.

Unless you want to make music be your source of income (which is harder than just getting well known), I say you shouldn't worry about exposure and focus on enjoying making music.

If someone ends up liking what you write — that's a bonus.

Participate in events and toastbeard because it gives you deadlines that help you hone your skills. If that event ends up making you better known — that's a bonus too.

It's a win/win.

I think that ability to write good music is more important than the size of fanbase.

I certainly will be participating in more events! Also, I want to be better known simply because I want more people to hear my music. If I start making money from it, it just means I can spend more time on making it. Eventually, my main focus will shift from music to animation over time, but for now, My focus is music.
GhostXb

Postby Navron » 11 Nov 2012 01:28

The most important thing I'd say, is making high quality music, and creating your own sound.

Even among the popular brosteppers nowadays, they each have their own sound (ex. Skrillex doesn't sound like Excision).

Therefore I don't get why so many people try to learn how to sound like the popular artists. A quick YouTube search will reveal nearly endless wannabe brostep artists, that all sound like Skrillex or some other popular musician. Chances are none of these people will ever get a record deal.

If you haven't found your own sound yet (still haven't found mine), don't put yourself out there until you do. You need to hone your own sound and level of quality first, and then work on getting yourself noticed.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Previous

Return to Technique