What do you make of Nexus?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: What do you make of Nexus?

Postby Grace Note » 02 Nov 2012 21:06

It's good to start out with.
"In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big..."
"Caravan" ~ Rush

Check me out on YouTube, Facebook, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, and Tumblr!
Grace Note

Postby Raddons » 02 Nov 2012 21:44

I love the gated pads.

That's about it.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby MRPPony » 03 Nov 2012 02:56

VINXIS wrote:I don't plan on buying nexus... since it's basically a complete preset itself. Though I might get it since someone on skype somehow convinces me to getting smth.

I'm convinced it is as well. The most I could do with the basic synth was use a preset to add an arppegio and other presets to add different EQ presets. Its like a preset within a preset to make presets because....its all just one big preset.
Still useful for Trance/Rave noise :P Pads especially.
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby Motivfs » 03 Nov 2012 03:05

Never used Nexus, had points when I wanted to but NI Massive is more than capable of sounds that aren't just basses.
Motivfs

Postby Foxtrot89 » 05 Nov 2012 19:13

My two cents, a little late and yet again, is that it doesn't matter how one gets the sounds, but if they find them inspiring and/or of good quality. There are tons of sounds that nexus offers that are legit. It lacks customization, but clever folks can make great use out of the sounds offered.

I don't really care who creates the sounds, if it gets my ass shaking it's good stuff. Creating your own sounds is always good to do, but it's silly to discredit something somebody else has done.

My point; good sounds is good sounds, gais. And I'm sure everyone here could take out well over a dozen presets that they'd like. The price is a bit steap for something that offers way too many sequenced presets though, I'll give that. Also worth avoiding if you're already good at sound design. Personally, I mix custom synth work, romplers and samplers. Hardware and software. I go with what sounds good. It's asinine to deny yourself tools for such trivial reasons.
Foxtrot89

Postby ChocolateChicken » 05 Nov 2012 22:14

From what I know, Nexus is the place to go if you don't want to bother with learning synthesis to make your own sounds, and while Nexus does have some pretty killer presets, there's nothing in there that you can't make with other synths.

Also what Foxtrot said up there.

Personally, although I know pretty much everything there is to know about FM and subtractive synthesis, I haven't been able to apply my knowledge to the creation of good sounds on any other synths, so I'm actually planning on purchasing Nexus instead of Massive or Sylenth.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Motivfs » 05 Nov 2012 23:24

Maybe it was a good thing I never got Nexus..

Before I even had a clue how to make music, let alone make sounds and properly synthesize, I knew I hated presets, and never wanted to touch them, not sure if this was a good thing, but I have never once used a preset, even in any of my first ever projects.

It sounds like Nexus is just one-dimensional.
Motivfs

Postby CommandSpry » 06 Nov 2012 02:55

Nexus is the equivalent of an automatic gearbox; it's convenient while you're just riding but you always want the manual when being competitive, or at least a semi.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby TheDNRproject » 07 Nov 2012 20:48

I'm allergic to nexus. It's not that bad, but when I hear it overused....I cough.
--

Facebook
youtube
soundcloud
Equestria Beats

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
TheDNRproject

Postby cplbradley » 07 Nov 2012 22:15

I use Nexus for pads and occasionally for leads. it's got some pretty decent plucks and super saws. I usually only use it for techno anyways.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Navron » 07 Nov 2012 23:17

I believe PinkiePieSwear used Nexus, but I could be wrong.

If you're into making trance, it can be a valuable tool for those that want a complete system of presets for making trance.

Nexus is pretty much the Kontakt of electronic music. You can alter some parameters, and shape the sound to a certain degree, but in the end, you're still working with pre-recorded material. To tell an electronic musician they suck because they don't know synthesis and use Nexus, it's pretty much the equivalent of telling an orchestral musician they suck because they don't know how to play a string instrument.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby bartekko » 08 Nov 2012 07:31

Navron wrote:I believe PinkiePieSwear used Nexus, but I could be wrong.

If you're into making trance, it can be a valuable tool for those that want a complete system of presets for making trance.

Nexus is pretty much the Kontakt of electronic music. You can alter some parameters, and shape the sound to a certain degree, but in the end, you're still working with pre-recorded material. To tell an electronic musician they suck because they don't know synthesis and use Nexus, it's pretty much the equivalent of telling an orchestral musician they suck because they don't know how to play a string instrument.

except that it's like telling an orchestral musician they suck because they don't know when to use a violin and when to use a cello.
Big part of beauty in electronic music is the sound design. If you don't know sound design, you don't truly know how to make electronic music.
Yes, PPS uses Nexus, but he makes up for that by being a god at everything else
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Navron » 08 Nov 2012 07:58

Contradictory statement is contradicting.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Stars In Autumn » 11 Nov 2012 02:52

People hate presets because it appeals to the lazy musician. But... sound is sound. You're buying presents and a solid VST built around them. If you can make a really kicking tune with stuff from Nexus, it was a good investment.

But the biggest downside with Nexus and presets in general is you are now forced to build your song around the sound, instead of designing the sound to how you want your song to be. Nexus is a fairly expensive investment, imo. I debated buying it too, but I want to learn sound design and Nexus doesn't help with that. In terms of piano/orchestral, Lav is correct: Kontakt libraries are better quality. And then you get to learn how to mix those samples into an EDM track.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Foxtrot89 » 11 Nov 2012 09:20

Lack of sound design doesn't exactly instantly equal lazy. I hear tons of people who spend hours creating patches and then like a half hour writing boring music. I've also heard people selecting presets and spending hours writing good music. (Obviously in both cases, there are opposites as well.)

There's more than one aspect of writing music, and using presets doesn't instantly equal lazy. It may kind of aid those who are lazy and thus we end up with a thousand cheesy shit songs, but that goes for music in general. Really, the only type of presets I'm inclined to agree with the laziness thing on is sequenced, with a beat and melody, type stuff. Even those you can mute out the parts you don't like and use, say, the bass sound of the sequence on its own. If you find a sound in something like nexus inspiring, why create your own version of the same sound? Just to recreate a sound you like so you can be more "hip" and "original" you may be throwing a wrench in the creative process, preventing progress on your song. But hey, you got a sound that sounds (almost) exactly like that one you wanted. (And already had.)

Sound design is great. So are samples, loops, mixing, mastering, composing and automation. Every single one of them can be done/used well, and all of them can be half assed and done/used poorly.

So again I say samples/romplers aren't lazy. They're just one of many tools used to get a sound you like. If a lazy person tries any of the stuff I mentioned, they're going to get a lazy song. Romplers aren't the be all end all of laziness good/bad music. Just seems that people like to brag about creating sounds themselves. Hate boring lazy musicians, not the tools they poorly exploit.
Foxtrot89

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Nov 2012 15:07

Sounds like it's got some good sounds in it! If someone can make good use of it, great!
Captain Ironhelm

Postby cloudshovit » 26 Nov 2012 20:21

bartekko wrote:
Navron wrote:I believe PinkiePieSwear used Nexus, but I could be wrong.

except that it's like telling an orchestral musician they suck because they don't know when to use a violin and when to use a cello.
Big part of beauty in electronic music is the sound design. If you don't know sound design, you don't truly know how to make electronic music.
Yes, PPS uses Nexus, but he makes up for that by being a god at everything else

somebody should tell Avicci about that :mrgreen: I don't use Nexus but I don't think you should do sound design and music making at the same time. you could end up spending the rest of your day tweaking a bass patch instead of finishing a song. but then again we all have different workflows.
cloudshovit

Postby SticktheFigure » 26 Nov 2012 21:43

Honestly, I think that it doesn't matter too much. If you can't write something decent in the first place, your choice of VST won't make a difference.
Also: You don't need high-class, original sound to make brilliant music. You just need a great piece.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Previous

Return to Technique