What do you make of Nexus?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

What do you make of Nexus?

Postby CommandSpry » 28 Oct 2012 07:03

I'm interested in hearing about people's opinions about the VST, it's basically a soundbank and, a lot of people use it. It's also heavily frowned upon.

What do you think about Nexus? I like it's pianos, and using it as a placeholder isn't bad. I do think that overusing Nexus in tunes will make you lazy about synthesis (I'm a living proof), so I usually turn to classical, orchestral, violins, flutes, things that you can't really make yourself.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Re: What do you make of Nexus?

Postby DJColeTPony » 28 Oct 2012 07:05

fuk u spry -ikki
DJColeTPony

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 28 Oct 2012 07:10

Nexus? Dear god, I wish I had that. I can't make a good supersaw for my life. (In massive, of course) :P
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Nine Volt » 28 Oct 2012 07:18

I don't particularly care either way.

That said, I am a fan of the pianos.
Last edited by Nine Volt on 30 Oct 2012 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby Random111223 » 28 Oct 2012 07:24

classical, orchestral, violins, flutes, things that you can't really make yourself.

This.

I use Nexus alot for any classical sounds, especially pianos. Nexus has some decent leads and pads which i occasionally use. The deal breaking thing is, that you can't modulate anything besides some basic stuff like the attack.. If it had more config options i would use it alot more.

Also i want to punch the designer of Nexus to the dick because everytime i load something in it, I have to turn off the ridiculous amount of reverb and delay
Last edited by Random111223 on 28 Oct 2012 07:26, edited 3 times in total.
Random111223

Postby GumsOfGabby » 28 Oct 2012 07:25

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Nexus? Dear god, I wish I had that. I can't make a good supersaw for my life. (In massive, of course) :P

1 Saw wave, 4+ voices, ~20 cents voice detunage, play with stereo width, chorus, phaser, reverb. There's your supersaw :3

I also think nexus is great for orchestral stuff, but not much else. Most of the presets sound very generic (don't get me wrong, they're great, but sound extremely overused), but some clever layering and processing can get some pretty neat results. I recently found out that FL Studios has a soundfont player, so I use soundfont for orchestral stuff now.

All in all, I think it's a good synth for anyone to have. It only gets a bad wrap because beginners have a tendency to just chuck the presets into their 30 minute productions. Same story with FL Studios and the 13-y/o-producers-from-third-world-countries-with-dreams, spamming the internet for praise on their new Skrillex copies.
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 28 Oct 2012 09:09

I perfer to synthesize my own sounds or use real instruments. However, synthesis doesn't work so well with orchestral.

For orchestral, there's East West, Kontakt, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can do orchestral. If that's all Nexus is good for, you might as well just get an actual orchestral VSTi, like East West (or whatever the full name of it is).

So even if Nexus does orchestral well, there are better options for that. So I have no intention of ever using Nexus.

Same goes for pianos in Nexus. Get Addictive Keys or a Kontakt piani library something.
ChromaticChaosPony

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby LFP » 28 Oct 2012 09:55

I use the pianos and the violins flute etc.
I also use it when first starting a song while making melody etc.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Navron » 28 Oct 2012 10:39

To me, Nexus really only has one strength, and that's in it's arp and gate functions, which you can utilize on any of the sounds it comes with.

It's more of a VST suited for trance, but I've gone from using it a lot, to almost never using it now.

Only time I really use it now is when I'm playing a song live and want to play an arp line along with a finished song.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby 5COPY » 28 Oct 2012 18:07

I find nexus to be horrible when it comes to synths itself. there maybe a few synths here and there I like but in the end most of these synths you can just as easily make in any other synthseizer.

Only excuse I can come with for having Nexus would be because of the pianos. But I am honestly finding it's quality in pianos less appealing throughout time and I'm considering getting completely rid of it.

If you're trying to come out with huge unique sounds Nexus is something you might just consider staying far far away from.
I don't have time for fancy signatures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/5COPY?feature=mhee

http://soundcloud.com/5copy

5COPY

Postby Mondogreen » 28 Oct 2012 18:57

"classical, orchestral, violins, flutes, things that you can't really make yourself."
I could synthesize a flute and a violin in Massive. A flute is particularly easy as all you'd really need is a sine wave with some envelope shaping, but strings require a little bit more surgery and precision to get it to sound authentic. Personally, I think that using Nexus (or any presets for that matter) is like beating a video game with a strategy guide. The end result will be the same, but you're using someone else's work to speed up the process. As you get better with synthesis, you'll need less and less help from presets, but Nexus is a crutch. Period. It's lazy, and it's cheating.... IMO =p
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 28 Oct 2012 19:14

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Nexus? Dear god, I wish I had that. I can't make a good supersaw for my life. (In massive, of course) :P

OSC 1: Saw
Voicing Tab
Unisono 4
Pitch Cutoff on, increase slider
Pan Position on, move slider to centre then offset slightly.

Optional:
OSC 2: Saw
OSC 2 detune 0.05-0.20
OSC 3: Saw
OSC 3 detune -12.00

For Pads:
Increase Attack and Release in Env 4 (Amp envelope)

For Brass:
Put Env 1 on each used oscillator, with a short decay and set the pitch modulation to +12

For Stabs
(You will most likely want to reduce the unisono to 2 or 3, and not have much chorusing)
Turn the decay level of Env 4 down
Optional:
Put a low pass filter on the sound and match the decay of the envelope with a quickly closing filter.

_____

On Nexus:

It's lazy, and there are better sample libraries out there that cost a fraction, if not free, and besides, most DAWs come with the sounds you'd need, synthesis covers the rest.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Mondogreen » 28 Oct 2012 19:18

For supersaw stabs, take your main amp envelope (usually 4) and use the preset called "plugged" and you're golden! ^^
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby colortwelve » 28 Oct 2012 19:21

I use it for pianos, and I used to use the initial patch to layer with my saw pads. I use Miroslav Philharmonik for my orchestral elements ^_^

Beyond that, all I really do with it is run through presets to see how they sound... Occasionally I'll try to recreate one of the rare good ones I come across. But as it stands for me, it's basically an overblown piano synth :lol:
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby TheMalenEst » 28 Oct 2012 19:31

The only thing i like in Nexus is the pads and strings, Maybe some plucks and Fx. But if you're into sound design you should keep away from it.
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby CommandSpry » 29 Oct 2012 01:55

For goodness sakes, stop using Nexus' Classical/Orchestral sounds. When I said it, I meant other VSTs like EastWest or Edirol. The strings of Nexus are god awful

CommandSpry

Postby 5COPY » 29 Oct 2012 09:13

Aren't most of the sounds in nexus made with Sylenth1? I've been told by a few people but I don't know if this is true.
I don't have time for fancy signatures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/5COPY?feature=mhee

http://soundcloud.com/5copy

5COPY

Postby DJGaugen » 30 Oct 2012 00:01

CommandSpry wrote:For goodness sakes, stop using Nexus' Classical/Orchestral sounds. When I said it, I meant other VSTs like EastWest or Edirol. The strings of Nexus are god awful

This.

I really do love Edirol~

The only thing I really use nexus for anymore is the dance piano, which I like to layer over my super saws.

While we're on the topic of presets, what do you guys think of NI Session Strings? I've heard alot of mixed reviews and such on it, and was really curious as to whether or not it would be worth my time.
DAW: Ableton Live
VST's: NI Komplete 9 (set)
Genre(s): Dubstep / Electro
DJGaugen

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Audacity

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 30 Oct 2012 13:49

If you're using Nexus for the piano's, you should have bought this instead. From what I've heard of the Nexus piano's, they're cheap samples that have been compressed to sound 'punchier', and most people forget you can actually go ahead and do that yourself, some EQ tweak and proper effect control on a completely dry signal and get a very rich, crisp piano sound for EDM productions.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Nine Volt » 30 Oct 2012 13:51

Wait, there are people who actually BOUGHT Nexus?
Nine Volt

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 30 Oct 2012 14:29

Nine Volt wrote:Wait, there are people who actually BOUGHT Nexus?

Please look at the URL of this website, just to remind yourself that you're not in your little group of pirating friends.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Nine Volt » 30 Oct 2012 14:30

Sorry Lav, it was a joke. I don't even have Nexus.
Nine Volt

Postby MRPPony » 30 Oct 2012 23:08

I like using Nexus for quick, cheap leads or plucks. I could learn everything about a synth and make my own presets, but it seems like I can only do it with pads. Not sure why but when it comes to leads, they always sound like crap.

And...nexus has piano presets?
-checks-
Huh...well I just use FLKeys and do a bunch of this and that. No wonder why my piano bits sound bad in comparison to others.
I am Magical Rainbow Pegasus Pony and this is my music. Lets not fuck about. X3
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My EQBeats
MRPPony

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Blank flank ftw

Postby CommandSpry » 31 Oct 2012 10:59

5COPY wrote:Aren't most of the sounds in nexus made with Sylenth1? I've been told by a few people but I don't know if this is true.

I don't think reFX made Sylenth1

CommandSpry

Postby VINXIS » 01 Nov 2012 18:13

I don't plan on buying nexus... since it's basically a complete preset itself. Though I might get it since someone on skype somehow convinces me to getting smth.
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Next

Return to Technique