Choosing a sound cards help

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Choosing a sound cards help

Postby Ohffy » 22 Nov 2012 09:02

Hey MLR soooo i built my conputer about a year ago and im still using my mobo onboard sound thingy
I want to change that
But i have no idea what i should be looking for

PLZ HALP!!!
DAW: FL Studio 10
Currently expiramenting with: Synth design
Newest abomination:

https://soundcloud.com/ohffy/le-previews/s-5U8k6
Ohffy

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: butt music

Re: Choosing a sound cards help

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Nov 2012 10:03

We need more info.

Whats your budget?
Mac or PC?
What kind of music do you make?
Are you hoping to record live instruments (guitar, vocals)?
What other equipment will you hook up to it (midi, multiple monitor outs..)?

Ohffy wrote:PLZ HALP!!!

Don't be a child, write it as "please help".
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Ohffy » 22 Nov 2012 10:13

the4thImpulse wrote:We need more info.

Whats your budget?
Mac or PC?
What kind of music do you make?
Are you hoping to record live instruments (guitar, vocals)?
What other equipment will you hook up to it (midi, multiple monitor outs..)?

Around $100
PC
Electronic
Might try recording vocals every now and then
Just a midi keyboard

Please help
DAW: FL Studio 10
Currently expiramenting with: Synth design
Newest abomination:

https://soundcloud.com/ohffy/le-previews/s-5U8k6
Ohffy

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: butt music

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Nov 2012 11:09

This is the only soundcard worth anyone's time for $100 (my opinion of course)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... ing-studio

If I were you I would save up more, for $300 you can get a great soundcard that will last you a long time and will support up too 96 kHz sampling.
the4thImpulse

Postby GumsOfGabby » 22 Nov 2012 11:23

the4thImpulse wrote:If I were you I would save up more, for $300 you can get a great soundcard that will last you a long time and will support up too 96 kHz sampling.

Won't the time a soundcard lasts depend on how the user looks after it? Also, I can't see why you'd want to sample at 96kHz, the human ear can't tell any difference in the audio above 48kHz. You'd just end up with bigger file sizes...

Anyway, I know next to nothing about this. You should ask these people if you're still looking. http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/

I linked to reddit. Fight me.
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 Nov 2012 12:29

GumsOfGabby wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:If I were you I would save up more, for $300 you can get a great soundcard that will last you a long time and will support up too 96 kHz sampling.

Won't the time a soundcard lasts depend on how the user looks after it? Also, I can't see why you'd want to sample at 96kHz, the human ear can't tell any difference in the audio above 48kHz. You'd just end up with bigger file sizes...

Anyway, I know next to nothing about this. You should ask these people if you're still looking. http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/

I linked to reddit. Fight me.

Yes, depending how the user looks after their gear will determine how long it lasts but I was referring to the features it has, if you need more inputs/outputs, midi I/O's, better sample/bit rates, higher quality converters.. This soundcard won't last long as it is the cheapest of the cheap.

Bigger file sizes aren't much of a problem with all the terabyte hard drives out there and the high amounts of RAM modern computers can carry. Human ears can absolutely tell the difference between 96 kHz and 48 kHz sample rates, its a shame mp3's have been promoted so much especially mp3's with low bit rates (<256 kbps). Sampling at 48 kHz will really only give those sounds around 20 kHz two effective sample points, 96 kHz will give them four sample points which will keep them from sounding absolutely horrible. And 48kHz is only slightly better then CD quality; I wouldn't want to record at CD quality, mix at CD quality, effect at CD quality, and finally master at CD quality. The better the recording you put though processors, the better the final product will be (obviously).
the4thImpulse

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 16:31

Well, what 4thImpulse listed is more for the higher end equipment. Check the hardware and equipment you want to get. Most microphones you'll buy in stores require a USB cable connection, some don't. Some require connections like phantom power. A lot of MIDI keyboards also require only a USB connection. But be sure to look at the hardware and equipment you plan on getting. Specifically the connection it requires. Then, be sure that you have the connection. If not, then look into getting a soundcard like the one 4thImpulse suggested.

Some of the basic specs you should look at for getting a sound card are 96kHz and 24 bit depth. If the equipment you're getting don't require any special slots, you can get an internal soundcard, and that will work good too. You can get some fairly good sound cards that'll work for what you want for as low as $30-40. This soundcard should work fine: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound. Although it's refurbished. A new sound card might be better quality.

However, I don't have the best experience with soundcards and stuff, so I'm sure that if there's something wrong with the advice I just gave you, one person or another with more experience will come and tell you otherwise.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby cloudshovit » 27 Nov 2012 05:42

itroitnyah wrote:Well, what 4thImpulse listed is more for the higher end equipment. Check the hardware and equipment you want to get. Most microphones you'll buy in stores require a USB cable connection, some don't. Some require connections like phantom power. A lot of MIDI keyboards also require only a USB connection. But be sure to look at the hardware and equipment you plan on getting. Specifically the connection it requires. Then, be sure that you have the connection. If not, then look into getting a soundcard like the one 4thImpulse suggested.

Some of the basic specs you should look at for getting a sound card are 96kHz and 24 bit depth. If the equipment you're getting don't require any special slots, you can get an internal soundcard, and that will work good too. You can get some fairly good sound cards that'll work for what you want for as low as $30-40. This soundcard should work fine: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound. Although it's refurbished. A new sound card might be better quality.

However, I don't have the best experience with soundcards and stuff, so I'm sure that if there's something wrong with the advice I just gave you, one person or another with more experience will come and tell you otherwise.

Never had any problems with X-Fi and its native ASIO driver support is more up to date than a lot of the higher end soundcards for production. The only drawback is that you'd have to use another soundcard for mic recording etc.
cloudshovit

Postby the4thImpulse » 27 Nov 2012 09:53

itroitnyah wrote:Well, what 4thImpulse listed is more for the higher end equipment. Check the hardware and equipment you want to get. Most microphones you'll buy in stores require a USB cable connection, some don't. Some require connections like phantom power. A lot of MIDI keyboards also require only a USB connection. But be sure to look at the hardware and equipment you plan on getting. Specifically the connection it requires. Then, be sure that you have the connection. If not, then look into getting a soundcard like the one 4thImpulse suggested.

I have more experience with soundcards and I already told him otherwise so.. thanks for giving your input, it is a option but not one I would recommend for making and recording music. I would also not waste my time with a usb mic, they have what you need for podcast recordings or just fooling around but not for proper vocal work.
the4thImpulse

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Nov 2012 10:02

That soundcard is designed for gaming, 5.1 surround sound is near useless for a music producer unless your doing movie scores (and then you will likely want more channels so again, its not for music). It also doesn't have proper I/Os for a guitar recording (as well as preamps) and balanced out's for studio monitors. I suggest looking at the Avid Fast Track C400, Its got the right I/Os, controls, 96 kHz/24bit. Don't let the price fool you on that site, that's the manufactures suggested price and the actual street price will be much cheaper (likely less than $200)
the4thImpulse

Postby CommandSpry » 28 Nov 2012 19:25

that doesn't mean anything, my cheaper Creative X-Fi Titanium is also marketed as a gaming card but it has all the cool things like bitmatched and stuff, audio creation mode. dedicated ASIO and everything, and the sound is fantastic. The X-Fi chip from Creative is universally fantastic, the one thing you want to take care of is the drivers, if you're going that route, use PAX Drivers. But never be turned away by the fact that it's marketed as a gaming soundard, they are crisp clear. Don't know about the jacks though, you might want to check some other simmilar cards for them.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Dec 2012 18:48

Hey, sorry to be raising this thread from the dead, but I figured it'd be better than starting another thread about soundcards.

So my understanding is that external soundcards/audio interfaces like the m-audio one that 4thimpulse linked above work just like regular soundcards, where you can plug your headphones into the headphone port or whatnot and enjoy music just like a regular soundcard, but with all the other ports for midis, microphones, and monitors. So I was wondering if I could get help finding an audio interface that has 24-bit 96 kHz quality? I only need 1 microphone port, a headphone port, and the monitor I/O or whatever.

I'm currently looking at the Roland TRI-CAPTURE and it definitely looks like something that I would want to get once I have the money to, I would just like to get other opinions from people with more experience since this will be my first time buying hardware like this.

Also, if you can link me other trustworthy sites where I can browse and purchase audio interfaces, feel free to link them so I can view them as well
itroitnyah

Postby the4thImpulse » 05 Dec 2012 19:06

itroitnyah wrote:Hey, sorry to be raising this thread from the dead, but I figured it'd be better than starting another thread about soundcards.

So my understanding is that external soundcards/audio interfaces like the m-audio one that 4thimpulse linked above work just like regular soundcards, where you can plug your headphones into the headphone port or whatnot and enjoy music just like a regular soundcard, but with all the other ports for midis, microphones, and monitors. So I was wondering if I could get help finding an audio interface that has 24-bit 96 kHz quality? I only need 1 microphone port, a headphone port, and the monitor I/O or whatever.

I'm currently looking at the Roland TRI-CAPTURE and it definitely looks like something that I would want to get once I have the money to, I would just like to get other opinions from people with more experience since this will be my first time buying hardware like this.

Also, if you can link me other trustworthy sites where I can browse and purchase audio interfaces, feel free to link them so I can view them as well

Just quickly looking at the tricapture I would not recommend it. Whats your budget?
the4thImpulse

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Dec 2012 19:15

the4thImpulse wrote:Just quickly looking at the tricapture I would not recommend it. Whats your budget?
$150 max
itroitnyah

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Dec 2012 09:54

itroitnyah wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:Just quickly looking at the tricapture I would not recommend it. Whats your budget?
$150 max

I would also suggest the same soundcrad as above for you, the Fast Track C400. Its selling in Canada for $140-150 so it should be a little cheaper in the states.
the4thImpulse

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Dec 2012 10:02

the4thImpulse wrote:it should be a little cheaper in the states.
It's listed at $309 on the site you linked me to, and $300 on musicians friend. :lol: I can't go that high.

Did a bit of searching, and I found the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which looks like it would also be efficient...
itroitnyah

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Dec 2012 10:16

itroitnyah wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:it should be a little cheaper in the states.
It's listed at $309 on the site you linked me to, and $300 on musicians friend. :lol: I can't go that high

The site is the companys site, they will list the suggested price, the actual street price should be much cheaper ($140 Canadian which is on par with the American dollar).
the4thImpulse

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Dec 2012 10:27

the4thImpulse wrote:The site is the companys site, they will list the suggested price, the actual street price should be much cheaper ($140 Canadian which is on par with the American dollar).
Oh, alright. I searched on amazon this time, and came across it at $130. Thanks for the help ^_^
itroitnyah

Return to Technique