Pretty new to making music, need some advice

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Pretty new to making music, need some advice

Postby KingTrollestia » 24 Nov 2012 12:15

I'm pretty new to actually recording music in general, and i honestly just wanted some advice. I'm mostly interested in making Dubstep and Techno music, but I want to make sure I have the right equipment and the right DAW to make that happen. Currently I have Logic Pro as my DAW, a macbook pro and an Axiom 49 Semi Weighted Keyboard as my instrument. Will this DAW work for that sort of music? Or should I have gone with Ableton or FL?(BTW got Logic Pro for free, so i didnt actually waste any money)
DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Re: Pretty new to making music, need some advice

Postby UnderKeel » 24 Nov 2012 12:24

Will this DAW work for that sort of music?

I do not quite understand how DAW's impact on the music style. But I know that some people are making music (well, or at least a beats) in Audacity.
loop =~=~=~=~=~
Hi. All my works here:
YouTube
SoundCloud
end loop -~-~_~-~-
UnderKeel

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 24 Nov 2012 12:27

Firstly, no piracy discussion on here.

Secondly, Logic is as fine a DAW as Ableton Live, however FL doesn't work on Mac so that's not an option for you. The main thing will likely be investing in virtual instruments to make those genres you listed. Logic comes with a fair amount on it's own, but a lot of people like to use 3rd party plugins, including myself.

Thankfully, Native Instruments have a big sale on this weekend, so you might want to check out some of their synths, Massive and FM8 are very popular choices for making EDM. However it is an investment, so you should weigh up your options first.

Also, Audacity is just an audio editor.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby KingTrollestia » 24 Nov 2012 12:31

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Firstly, no piracy discussion on here.

Secondly, Logic is as fine a DAW as Ableton Live, however FL doesn't work on Mac so that's not an option for you. The main thing will likely be investing in virtual instruments to make those genres you listed. Logic comes with a fair amount on it's own, but a lot of people like to use 3rd party plugins, including myself.

Thankfully, Native Instruments have a big sale on this weekend, so you might want to check out some of their synths, Massive and FM8 are very popular choices for making EDM. However it is an investment, so you should weigh up your options first.

Also, Audacity is just an audio editor.

apologies for that, won't happen again. And thanks for the advice on that. That should defiantly help me out a lot.

KingTrollestia

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 13:47

Yeah, what Lavender said. You can make any genre of music with any DAW, it's just up to the VST's you get. The big difference between the DAWs, which Lavender also covered to a small extent, is the VSTs, plugins, and affects that the DAW comes with. Ableton has easier to use affect plugins because they're more visual, and 3rd party vsts can be easily automated. Ableton and Reason are more space efficient. And FL is my DAW, so I can't help you out with much more than I already said above :P

Another important part would be music theory. If you don't know that already, learn it. This website is a good place to start if you need to learn it. But besides music theory, you also need to know synth design. If you're going to be using Massive, which many people use, you can look up videos on youtube for techniques and ways to make synths like plucks, pads, leads, basses, etc. However, it's good practice to make your own synths, so you can use the videos to learn how to make synths by yourself, but try not to steal synth designs.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby KingTrollestia » 24 Nov 2012 15:30

itroitnyah wrote:Yeah, what Lavender said. You can make any genre of music with any DAW, it's just up to the VST's you get. The big difference between the DAWs, which Lavender also covered to a small extent, is the VSTs, plugins, and affects that the DAW comes with. Ableton has easier to use affect plugins because they're more visual, and 3rd party vsts can be easily automated. Ableton and Reason are more space efficient. And FL is my DAW, so I can't help you out with much more than I already said above :P

Another important part would be music theory. If you don't know that already, learn it. This website is a good place to start if you need to learn it. But besides music theory, you also need to know synth design. If you're going to be using Massive, which many people use, you can look up videos on youtube for techniques and ways to make synths like plucks, pads, leads, basses, etc. However, it's good practice to make your own synths, so you can use the videos to learn how to make synths by yourself, but try not to steal synth designs.

Thanks for the advice man. I have a pretty good understanding of majors and minors on a piano, and i know the layout fairly well by now.

KingTrollestia

Postby Omegastick » 25 Nov 2012 13:58

Okay, so DAWs. Basically, any DAW can make any type of music, it's the finer details that make the difference. Logic is a solid DAW that, although it has a bit of a steep learning curve, is very easy to use once you know how to do everything. Ableton, on the other hand is my preferred DAW. Although it's arrangement view for recording tracks isn't as good as Logic's or Reason's (or FL's, for that matter) it opens up opportunity for live performance with the session view. Bear in mind though, the default plugins suck balls so you'll need to use lots of external ones.
Omegastick

Return to Technique