Mastering/Mixing the song

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Mastering/Mixing the song

Postby Ruka » 21 Nov 2012 07:31

Hi, so I have a question about mastering/mixing a song. Like (i dont quite know what it's called) when you're done with a song and you need to make the final sound perfect.

Can any of you help me to make like a list of things I should remember? (I kinda suck at mastering ;p)
DAW: FL 11
Vst 'n' stuff: Megatron and a bdsm chamber.

Some of my stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/djm3lody/mscoot-princess-luna-ruka
Ruka

Re: Mastering/Mixing the song

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 21 Nov 2012 08:02

Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Element6 » 21 Nov 2012 09:48

What Lavender posted is a great guide for getting started with music, or even for simply improving skills regardless of experience. It has helped me so much with learning everything from how my DAW works to mastering/mixing a song.
I highly recommend referring to the guide continually if you weren't aware of it already. Honestly, I believe it's one of the greatest things MLR has to offer.
Element6

Primary: FL Studio

Postby the4thImpulse » 21 Nov 2012 10:12

Doing the research yourself will be far more beneficial to you and the guide is a good place to start.

Just a quick definition of the two:
- Mixing is the process of blending multiple tracks together to form one united song, you use lots of EQing volume and dynamics control here.
- Mastering is taking that final summed song and final checking to make sure it sounds its best. Slight EQ changes and likely some multiband compression and commonly done here. Mastering is not made to be much of the creative process (meaning don't fix all your mistakes here, go back to the mixdown).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Return to Technique