Best Dubstep Sample Packs?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Best Dubstep Sample Packs?

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 08 Nov 2012 14:35

Ok, so like you all know because I wouldn't stop bugging everyone about it, it's my birthday today, and I think I'm going to ask for a sample pack, preferably a dubstep one. Do you guys have any recommendations or have you heard of any quality ones? Right now I'm looking at the supalife dubstep packs.

Oh yeah, and I'd prefer if the pack was under $100. Thanks!
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Re: Best Dubstep Sample Packs?

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 08 Nov 2012 14:59

If you're wanting drum samples, consider the Bad Ass Snares Bundle, a pack I use regularly for all manner of snare drums.Generally buying anything with a dubstep label on it is a bad idea, it means they're pre-processed, will be unsuitable for other areas, and will be difficult to get to sit in your mix. Places to look would be Beatport, Hospital Records, and if you want what everyone else is using, Vengeance, obviously.

If you're planning on buying a preset pack, be very wary of what you'll be getting. Often the sounds are specifically tailored to the demo tracks the company produces, and while impressive sounding, they can be near impossible to implement in a mix without knowledge of synth design. You'll never be satisfied if you don't. They can make a good starting point, but nothing else.

If you're planning on buying a pack of pre-recorded dubstep bass sounds that you just drop in your track... you're wasting your money. Get a VST instead.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 08 Nov 2012 15:20

Thanks guys. :)
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 08 Nov 2012 16:07

Whait, Kyoga, do I need Maschine?
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Nov 2012 16:47

http://sounds.beatport.com/

Look at some of the other genre packs besides dubstep as you will find suitable samples in the electro house, breaks, sound fx, and drum and bass sections. Like lavender said its best to stay away from synth loops and presets, its better to know how to make those sounds then to know how to use a sissor tool and cut them up and paste them in.

Generally buying anything with a dubstep label on it is a bad idea, it means they're pre-processed

This not entirely true. Almost all samples are preprocessed in some form or another, dubstep and other genres do typically have a lot of compression (brickwalling) but you are likely going to do that anyway when you make dubstep (unless you are going far far from the mainstream route). You will still find many sample packs without the extreme processing so don't worry too much about lavenders warning when buying sample packs.

With a few quick google searches you can find coupons for beatport, codes like: 'getstarted' 'startnow' 'newmusic' have all been used in the past and have gotten me 10 - 25% off, they may still work if not google search (they are out there).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Nov 2012 19:41

itroitnyah wrote:there's this nifty place called thepiratebay.se

Wait, not supposed to mention pirating here. Sorry. Continue on

Guess who I am:
"asuifhbabosibgnaeruwo you mentioned pirating you shouldn't be on MLR you fucking 9 year old iobsdnaaibusndiuwnjek!!!!!!!111"!!1!'1"1"
:3

EDIT:
To stay on topic, Vengeance or deadmau5's Xfer pack is decent. I don't really make dubstep, but when I do I usually use primarily the Boyinaband packs (they're free though, not top quality but definitely good).
Nine Volt

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 08 Nov 2012 20:16

It'll be a 24 hour ban next, consider yourselves warned.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Raddons » 08 Nov 2012 21:03

I literally cannot fathom why, on a public forum, people will suggest pirating.

It's illegal wow.
Raddons

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 08 Nov 2012 21:37

I never have, and never will. Evar.

On topic, I also think the Soundtrack Loops - Wicked Drops and the Bluezone Corporation - Xtreme dubstep packs look good. And they're both pretty dang cheap.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 08 Nov 2012 21:48

the4thImpulse wrote:
Generally buying anything with a dubstep label on it is a bad idea, it means they're pre-processed

This not entirely true. Almost all samples are preprocessed in some form or another, dubstep and other genres do typically have a lot of compression (brickwalling) but you are likely going to do that anyway when you make dubstep (unless you are going far far from the mainstream route). You will still find many sample packs without the extreme processing so don't worry too much about lavenders warning when buying sample packs.

With a few quick google searches you can find coupons for beatport, codes like: 'getstarted' 'startnow' 'newmusic' have all been used in the past and have gotten me 10 - 25% off, they may still work if not google search (they are out there).

I just find the majority of the samples already have horrendous things like reverb and extreme EQ already applied to make them sound good out the box, but make them difficult to implement in the mix. Always listen to the demo's, and if theres a demo pack, download it and try it imo. A lot of the loopmasters stuff has demo packs to try.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Nov 2012 22:01

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:

I just find the majority of the samples already have horrendous things like reverb and extreme EQ already applied to make them sound good out the box, but make them difficult to implement in the mix. Always listen to the demo's, and if theres a demo pack, download it and try it imo. A lot of the loopmasters stuff has demo packs to try.

My bad for assuming you meant dynamics, there are definitely a lot of sample packs with the "horrendous" effects you can't get rid of. Loopmasters are a great choice, they have a good reputation in my book. I would suggest this pack on beatport, its relativity small but should give you some great samples to work with for some time. I own it and I have found a few great samples in there to make it worth my money.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 08 Nov 2012 22:31

the4thImpulse wrote:
Lavender_Harmony wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:This not entirely true. Almost all samples are preprocessed in some form or another, dubstep and other genres do typically have a lot of compression (brickwalling) but you are likely going to do that anyway when you make dubstep (unless you are going far far from the mainstream route). You will still find many sample packs without the extreme processing so don't worry too much about lavenders warning when buying sample packs.

My bad for assuming you meant dynamics, there are definitely a lot of sample packs with the "horrendous" effects you can't get rid of. Loopmasters are a great choice, they have a good reputation in my book. I would suggest this pack on beatport, its relativity small but should give you some great samples to work with for some time. I own it and I have found a few great samples in there to make it worth my money.

Oh no, I know a lot of samples come pre-compressed, but so many are processed beyond that that they become unusable. In a perfect world, a sample pack would have Processed, Raw and Warped/Effected samples. But that's asking way too much...
Lavender_Harmony

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 09 Nov 2012 07:29

Some sample packs do have separated dry/wet versions. Not sure if they come with uncompressed versions though.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 11 Nov 2012 09:25

Ok, so I'm making my final decision. I'll either get Balkansky: Dark Dub And Glitchstep or the Supalife Dubstep Bundle (Hard, Smooth Dark). Unless I find that I REALLY want something else, it's gonna have to be either
of those. Oh yeah, and Lavender the point of pre recorded bass sounds is to effect them, slice them up, and use them in combination with your own sounds. It's also for getting sounds from vsts you may not have. :D
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 11 Nov 2012 10:29

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Ok, so I'm making my final decision. I'll either get Balkansky: Dark Dub And Glitchstep or the Supalife Dubstep Bundle (Hard, Smooth Dark). Unless I find that I REALLY want something else, it's gonna have to be either
of those. Oh yeah, and Lavender the point of pre recorded bass sounds is to effect them, slice them up, and use them in combination with your own sounds. It's also for getting sounds from vsts you may not have. :D

Resampling. Make the patch, record it and bounce that down to an audio file, and effect that, slice it etc. But hey, it's your decision at the end of the day.
Lavender_Harmony

Return to Technique