Orchestral Libraries

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Orchestral Libraries

Postby TheDNRproject » 07 Nov 2012 20:44

Hello, my name is Ian M, and I am an orchestral producer.

We have a lot of great talent in the community, but one of the things that holds orchestral producers back and keeps some of us from trying orchestral in the first place is $$$. Sampled libraries are not cheep, and while there may be "other ways" to get this software, some of us feel that it is immoral, especially so if we are going to make a profit off our music.

I am interested in producing cheap Kontakt libraries, we're talking about $20 a piece for an entire string section, and possibly later on brass and woodwinds.
The samples would by no means be as advanced as the professionals, but they would be accurate, well recorded, and easily good enough to sound like a real orchestra.
They would be compatible with Native Instruments Kontakt Player which is available for free download off NI's website.

Please respond if you're interested; I need to know that I'll get my money back if I invest in recording equipment.

Also, I realize that this is kind of advertizing, but i feel like this could be a great benefit to the music community.
--

Facebook
youtube
soundcloud
Equestria Beats

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
TheDNRproject

Re: Orchestral Libraries

Postby the4thImpulse » 07 Nov 2012 21:01

There reason most sample libraries (espicially orchestral) are so expensive is because of their quality, so my question how will you provide quality samples?

Do you have access to a full orchestra?
A plethora of quality mics ( > $1000)?
Acoustic room/halls for recording in?
Other recording gear; boards, monitors, processors?
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby WavesOfParadox » 07 Nov 2012 21:44

And how would you get it onto the free Kontakt Player? Don't you need to have it published to NI or something?
YouTube
SoundCloud

Haiti Charity Album
Haiti Charity Album

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals."
-Igor Stravinsky
WavesOfParadox

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 07 Nov 2012 22:01

I will give you one piece of advice, right off the bat. If you invest in having your samples converted to the Player format, you will get a much higher return. Those seeking to make orchestral music but cannot afford the sample libraries most likely cannot afford Kontakt either, since they change a ridiculous price for it at present, somewhere in the region of $500. So I'm unsure of the cost of making a library compatible with Kontakt Player, you will receive significantly more return if everyone can use it, not just those who have Kontakt.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby TheDNRproject » 08 Nov 2012 06:18

Yes, I have access to a full orchestra, not all at once though; I'm friends with some professional musicians.
As far as mic's go, I don't have any now, but I could invest in some, but are the $1000 ones really going to be noticeably better than say the $200-$300 ones? Also, would a beginning composer really need samples recorded in a professional hall with good acoustics? If i record a very dry sample, you can always use reverb.
--

Facebook
youtube
soundcloud
Equestria Beats

-Robert Frost
TheDNRproject

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 08 Nov 2012 06:50

I think your main concern is the Kontakt Player thing here.

I have recorded samples for a piece of mine recently (for uni, no online stuff) and got some quality ones with an AU$400 mic (H4N Zoom, for anyone interested).
Literally, the only thing better about the professional tom-tom samples and mine is that there's only one mic position for mine. So if you've got a decent mic, you shouldn't have problems.

But I have heard that it costs a pretty penny to get a licence for Kontakt Player compatibility. Unfortunately (and I asked some companies about this) they're not allowed to discuss the pricing they get because it's different for each group. They just said it's expensive.

Oh another thing is the programming side. Are you good with that? Understand the basic techniques involved with sampling? Know how to script? Got a good idea for GUI? There's a lot more to sampling than the samples.

If you already have it all planned, then sorry, just ignore me.

Also, you need to ask places like KVR because they'll have a much bigger market for you than the 20 or so Bronies that are actually interested in orchestral.
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Nov 2012 10:12

TheDNRproject wrote:Yes, I have access to a full orchestra, not all at once though; I'm friends with some professional musicians.
As far as mic's go, I don't have any now, but I could invest in some, but are the $1000 ones really going to be noticeably better than say the $200-$300 ones? Also, would a beginning composer really need samples recorded in a professional hall with good acoustics? If i record a very dry sample, you can always use reverb.

Yes the expensive mics will sound better (way better), you also need to take into consideration what type of mic your using as well as their pick up pattern. I would look into ribbon mics, they are extremely fragile as well as expensive but have a real warm sound that I would pair up with an orchestra.

A small acoustically treated room is probably going to be the most realistic for you but you won't be able to record a large section of the orchestra at a time. The large would really only give you space and a natural sound. To get a good dry sound you will need a proper studio room with sound absorbers.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Fimbulin » 08 Nov 2012 11:00

I'm definitely interested, and the price range for about $20- $30 is what I spend on most of my stuff. I already bought Kontakt, so I never even thought about the Player issue. I'm interested in seeing what you can do! There's definitely a market for sound producers out there, and you might just be one of the good gems! Keep it up!

(you might get a couple hundred at most from MLR forum people, but if you're good, you'll get at least $30)
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby TheDNRproject » 08 Nov 2012 17:24

I am a programmer, not the best, but im easily good enough to write a basic script and GUI.
If i can't make it work with Kontakt Player, are there any other good free samplers or will i have to code my own?
I think i can manage to get a ribbon mic.
--

Facebook
youtube
soundcloud
Equestria Beats

-Robert Frost
TheDNRproject

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 08 Nov 2012 18:24

UVI Workstation is a free one that you can make it for. It's far lesser known, but it's free, so I'm sure people won't care if they have to download it.
http://www.uvisoundsource.com/article_i ... icles_id=8

Alternatively, Sampletank, although you have to pay to use that. And I don't know whether 3rd parties can make their own things off it.
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank/

If all else fails, making your own program or sticking to normal Kontakt would work too!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Return to Technique