New Guy

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

New Guy

Postby Digital Frequency » 11 Feb 2012 13:14

I hope I'm posting in the right place... :?

Anyway, I used to lurk around here for some interesting music stuff. Figured I'd stop lurking and join in. The problem being is that I can't seem to make anything successfully with FL Studio. I've noticed how friendly everyone here seems to be, so I figured I could ask for help here when I need it. If I can work up the courage to actually post that is...
Digital Frequency

Re: New Guy

Postby Freewave » 11 Feb 2012 13:21

Well what seems to be the problem?

*pulls up a chair begins taking notes....* :ugeek:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Likonan » 11 Feb 2012 13:24

A most hearty welcome, dear chap! May your stay here be long and prosperous! :D

When it comes, to music, nothing is successful or unsuccessful in the grand design of it all. Art has endless shapes and forms. :D
But I am curious, what is the problem? Is it coming up with ideas or a technical issue? :)
Likonan

Primary: Mixcraft, FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electronica?

Postby soup2504 » 11 Feb 2012 13:36

Assuming you mean you can't really get an idea going, I guess I cant sorta help. I myself am fairly new to making music with any program on the computer(been working with FL for a couple months only) and I have always had trouble creating a good song too, and that also applied to the instrument I have played. One problem I ALWAYS had was that I would get something that sounded really nice up, but then I could NOT progress any further with anything matching no matter how hard I tried, and well, I give up easily.

SO, what I like to do is start off with a drumloop, whether it is a preset one, or one of my own, I just need something that sounds nice, HOWEVER, when you start FL studio up, the default kick, clap, snare, and hat aren't usually something you would want to use when making your own. I personally prefer using CB_Kick, CB_snare, CB_hat, CB_clap for my drums, but if you search around in the preset drum sounds, there are MANY many more you can choose. For synths, it honestly depends on what I am making. I like to use Sylenth 1, NI massive, and Sytrus for my synths, and while NI massive is honestly the best out of those all, sylenth 1 and sytrus come in use sometimes also. Which brings up the next thing, once you get your drums figured out, you can slowly work your way up with synths, adding them to the song, seeing how well they fit with the drum, editing them, adding them, deleting, re-doing, etc. But only work in small sections until you get a really nice sound, otherwise it might end up being ruined.

Oh, and white noise sweeps, probably my favorite thing to do in FL studio, here's how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHFRUCMlgj4

This guy also has some really useful tutorials for FL studio, so definitely check out some of his videos.

Ok, that's all I can think of as of right now, hope it helps c:
soup2504

Postby Freewave » 11 Feb 2012 14:39

Just so you know you are not the only one who WANTS to make music but doesn't quite yet know HOW. That is very common when you are starting. Here's some of my suggestions in another thread if you wanna check em out. When you figure it out what you are having a problem with and have specific questions please let us know as that's what we are here for. :)
Freewave

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 11 Feb 2012 16:21

Sure, ask away, we'll help however we can! You can even jump on IRC and ask over there, I'm sure there are people who'd be happy to help over there as well.

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Just so you know you are not the only one who WANTS to make music but doesn't quite yet know HOW.

We should totally collab.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 11 Feb 2012 20:15

TheSunAndTheRainfall wrote:We should totally collab.

That's a good idea, a collab would allow you to gain insightful advice and ideas from someone who knows what they're doing!
But yes, asking is good! DO IT!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Navron » 11 Feb 2012 22:21

When I first came here, I had virtually no knowledge of electronic music.

After a couple months, I've kind of grown into my own sound, so stick with it, no matter what, and you'll find yourself getting featured.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Digital Frequency » 12 Feb 2012 02:36

The problem is always either not being able to come up with ideas or...
soup2504 wrote:One problem I ALWAYS had was that I would get something that sounded really nice up, but then I could NOT progress any further with anything matching no matter how hard I tried, and well, I give up easily. :

^This.

And thanks for all the advice! I'll be sure to ask again if I need anything!
Digital Frequency

Postby Digital Frequency » 12 Feb 2012 02:59

TheSunAndTheRainfall wrote:We should totally collab.

I have no problem with this, assuming it was directed at me. Though I'm not sure what I could do with a song... Yay self-confidence!
Digital Frequency

Postby Kryptage » 12 Feb 2012 11:42

At your service friend! Questions comments I could make a tutorial on. I haven't updated my tutorial series in a while!

As for music in general, it really is a weird thing starting out, cause you feel like you know what to do. But you just gotta give something a shot, and then keep doing that. Sounds elementary, but that really what works.

If you wanna learn how to write, you have to write. The rest comes naturally.
A fews songs in progress at all times!

check out my latest on my soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/moviemajic12
Kryptage

Postby Random111223 » 12 Feb 2012 11:56

Pick your favorite genre and start with that. First of all, you will most likely enjoy producing your favorite genre. Having fun is the most important thing in producing music ;). Secondly, you can analyze the genre, and once you know it well, you can easily make sounds which fit together in a song. <--- i understood you had problems with that.

^Just my opinion though.
Random111223

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 12 Feb 2012 12:32

Digital Frequency wrote:I have no problem with this, assuming it was directed at me. Though I'm not sure what I could do with a song... Yay self-confidence!

That was aimed at DJ Pon-3, but hey, I'm up for collaborating with anyone! I may have spoken a bit early though, because I'd like to finish the track I'm making for the new charity album before I start jumping on more projects, but yeah, if you'd like, I'd be thrilled to make a song with you! It doesn't matter that you're not sure what to do with a song, the whole point of this is to have fun! So hit me up sometime and we'll talk about it, yeah?
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Freewave » 12 Feb 2012 13:41

TheSunAndTheRainfall wrote:Sure, ask away, we'll help however we can! You can even jump on IRC and ask over there, I'm sure there are people who'd be happy to help over there as well.

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Just so you know you are not the only one who WANTS to make music but doesn't quite yet know HOW.

We should totally collab.

SURE anytime we're both free I'd love to do that!! :D
Freewave

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 12 Feb 2012 22:05

DJ Pon-3 wrote:SURE anytime we're both free I'd love to do that!! :D

Awesome! I'll be finishing this song I'm making on the 28th of February at the latest, I'm up for anything after that! This is gonna be so awesome.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby Freewave » 13 Feb 2012 11:52

skweee! sounds like a plan. :D
Freewave

Return to Technique