Okay, so I'm getting better...

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Okay, so I'm getting better...

Postby Mundius » 27 Nov 2011 16:51

...and I got the hang of FL Studio. The only thing is that I want to try out new DAWs, you know, cause FL isn't mindblowing as much?

I've heard about Ableton and LMMS (the latter I've tried), but I'm not sure what other good ones are out there.

Bronies, go!

I really hope I'm not going to have to use FL for the rest of my life.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Okay, so I'm getting better...

Postby Facade » 27 Nov 2011 16:52

Vinyl Scratch wrote:I really hope I'm not going to have to use FL for the rest of my life.

same here

i would try cubase 5 its confusing (to me at least xD)
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Darktrot » 27 Nov 2011 16:54

Ableton Live, Reason, Famitracker, Cubase. There are a few good ones
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby bartekko » 27 Nov 2011 16:56

Stick with what you like. If you have a love/hate relationship with FL studio, then get something else, and if Fl's are good for you, there's no need to change.

I'd recommend what I already did once today: gotta try them all

Also, Famitracker Isn't a DAW
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Mundius » 27 Nov 2011 17:02

Famitracker is a TRACKER, not a DAW. OpenMPT is more of a DAW, but it's still a tracker. (And far better than Fami)
Mundius

Postby Versilaryan » 27 Nov 2011 18:11

If you like trackers, get Renoise. That's an actual DAW, with a tracker for its MIDI sequencer instead of a piano roll.

I'd suggest Ableton Live. I like it far more than I like FL Studio, though FL does come with a ton of really cool plug-ins. Cubase is notorious for having a really steep learning curve, so expect to live with it for a while just learning how to do anything before you expect anything good to come out of it.
Versilaryan

Postby Darktrot » 27 Nov 2011 22:57

My Little Fuck up. I get it.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby JackleApp » 27 Nov 2011 23:05

What's with the disdain towards FL?
FL is amazingly useful. It does what you want it to if you know how to work with it.
It can be as professional as any other DAW (See: Porter Robinson)
I'd say to keep going with it.
If you've "gotten the hang of FL Studio", why not keep going?
It's pretty unnecessary to have to learn how to use an entirely new DAW
when you're making progress with another.
But, that's just my opinion. Take it however you'd like.
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Whitetail » 27 Nov 2011 23:14

For the most part the DAW is only as good as the plugins you use in it, and by extension, only as good as the operator using it. Most daws have the same basic features so which one you use really shouldn't effect your sound much unless it has some amazing standout feature you can't find elsewhere.
Whitetail

Postby Versilaryan » 28 Nov 2011 14:03

FL's amazing because of comes with so many plugins. I ditched it for Ableton, though, because recording and heavy automation are bitchy to do in it. Besides, I already had other plugins that did the same things by that point.
Versilaryan

Postby BlackElectric » 28 Nov 2011 14:40

I started with Ableton, used it for a while, and then swtiched to FL Studio because I thought it would be better.

Turns out they are both good at different things, so I sometimes use both for one song.
BlackElectric

Primary: Pro Tools 10
Cutie Mark: Mixing

Postby MichaelA » 30 Nov 2011 23:03

JackleApp wrote:What's with the disdain towards FL?
FL is amazingly useful. It does what you want it to if you know how to work with it.
It can be as professional as any other DAW (See: Porter Robinson)
I'd say to keep going with it.
If you've "gotten the hang of FL Studio", why not keep going?
It's pretty unnecessary to have to learn how to use an entirely new DAW
when you're making progress with another.
But, that's just my opinion. Take it however you'd like.

I totally agree with this. Been using FL for about 2 years. It's a great program, and it can do great things, it just takes practice like all DAW's. In my opinion, all DAWs can do the same things(generally), but it's just harder to do certain things in certain DAWs. But in essence, I can guarantee you that any song could've came from any DAW, it just really is based on your skill.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Interrobang Pie » 01 Dec 2011 04:26

FL is great, but like with everything else you can't expect to grab it first time. Persevere.

Trackers are DAWs because they produce audio digitally. I guess that makes Mario Paint a DAW too.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Mundius » 01 Dec 2011 12:18

I dunno about the disdain, I can already make a lot of stuff with it. It's still just the fact that I don't use 90% of the stuff in FL, though. Maybe it's because I never learned anything about music?
Mundius

Postby Dabrenn » 14 Dec 2011 20:30

I'm also curious about the FL versus Ableton debate. I'm currently using FL and starting to get the hang of it (and by hang of it i mean like, I've spent maybe 10 hours inside of it grand total lol, learned to use most of the plugins basically, add effects and manage EQ and make automation clips). I think if Ableton is "better" I want to switch early. I've heard all good about Ableton, and a ton of mixed stuff about FL.

but sure as hell i can't get the sounds i want out of FL but im pretty sure thats my fault. I really want to create an Aviici esque house beat (or for you pony-only people, ArchieV sound). They use Sidechain compressed basslines that i can't even remotely replicate for the life of me
Dabrenn

Postby randomblockfilms » 14 Dec 2011 20:55

it doesnt really matter what DAW you use. as long as it makes the sounds you like, and that you can work with it without getting frustrated, you have a good DAW! theres a lot of science i think into how to get the sound you want. either that or a lot of knowledge about how effects, instruments, and plugins work. :P
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby Sugarholik » 15 Dec 2011 14:07

It has been said million times already, but it's just true: get a DAW that suits you best. Most of them are capable of same things.
Speaking of DAWs... I found a cute thing called Studio One by Presonus. It was coded in cooperation with some Steinberg veterans and not surprisingly has some similiarities with Cubase. The full version of this one seems to be cheaper than Cubase though. Been testing the free trial for a while now and have to say I like it. Totally worth checking out! It also has fancy things like integrated melodyne and some kind of soundcloud app thingy O.o
Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise

Postby Kryptage » 02 Jan 2012 05:17

I have a friend who uses Logic, Personus Studio One, Reason, and even some Cubase. I can do everything he does, just as easily, and just as effectively, but with one DAW. That goes for any DAW. All you have to do is learn how to use it.

I've Been using FL for about 3 1/2 years. I've used FL 7, 8, 9, and 10, and loved em all. If you've gotten good with FL, and you're comfortable with it. It just comes down to plugins really.

If you're not comfortable, Cubase and Ableton are good ones to try.
A fews songs in progress at all times!

check out my latest on my soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/moviemajic12
Kryptage

Postby PrincessAddictia » 28 Jan 2012 18:56

It's really not about the DAW you use, but about what you make of it.
For example: Camo & Crooked are some of the most popular DnB Artists and they use nothing but FL Studio 10 and some NI software synths.
PrincessAddictia

Postby Icky » 28 Jan 2012 19:31

PrincessAddictia wrote:It's really not about the DAW you use, but about what you make of it.
For example: Camo & Crooked are some of the most popular DnB Artists and they use nothing but FL Studio 10 and some NI software synths.

Spor, Bass Modulators and plenty of other proffesional musicians use FL as their only DAW. I have no idea why people seem to think FL isn't capable of producing music on par with other DAWs like Cubase or Logic.
Icky

Postby Versilaryan » 28 Jan 2012 21:27

It's not that FL isn't capable, it's that at least I find that it's not as intuitive as other DAWs. I find Ableton so much easier to use than FL.
Versilaryan

Postby guitarskills » 29 Jan 2012 00:59

While I find FL incredibly easy. No DAW is designed for everyone, remember that kids.
guitarskills

Postby Navron » 29 Jan 2012 15:10

If FL is getting trite for you, I'd look into Cubase.

Many people claim that somebody can make good music on any DAW, and it's true. Good music comes from the composer, not the program.

Cubase pretty much has limitless potential. I've been using it for several months and probably only use 1/4 of what the program offers at the most.

Many people claim Cubase is difficult. I'm not going to lie, it's a challenging program to get the hang of, and I probably would have been better off learning FL first instead of starting off on Cubase, however now that I can see all the program has to offer, I don't think I'll be switching to any other DAWs anytime soon.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby DrSorkenstein » 29 Jan 2012 16:31

Reason is good. It is often overlooked since it doesn't support plugins, but in my opinion it offers a great workflow with it's emphasis on visual presentation. I also prefer having a box of tools I can wrap my head around and know inside and out instead of having a giant warehouse of toys I never use.
DrSorkenstein

Return to Technique