Guitar Interference

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Guitar Interference

Postby LeafRunner » 25 Jan 2012 00:01

So I moved into a new apartment about a week ago, and while I've been too busy to record any new music, I have noticed something that's going to be a problem. My electric guitar is picking up really bad interference (like the hum you get when you sit close to a monitor), except I get it anywhere and everywhere in the apartment, no matter which way I face. I've never had a problem with the guitar before so I don't think it's a grounding issue in the guitar itself. Even running all my equipment through a power conditioner doesn't help. I guess it could be all the electronics and routers in this building, but I'm not sure. I can make do for clean sounds, but the moment I add any gain, then hum comes in at a noticeable level. Kinda makes it hard to record :(

Any ideas on some solutions, or is there a way I can remove this hum post recording without totally screwing the quality?
LeafRunner

Re: Guitar Interference

Postby Pickslide1992 » 25 Jan 2012 11:51

Have you invested in a noise gate? The only thing I'd thing the problem would be would be an electrical issue. Since this is a new apartment, maybe it could be coming from other people's rooms or all the power being used by the other tenants.

Or maybe the place isn't well grounded. If that's the case, I'd contact the guy in charge of maintenance. In fact, I'd go ahead and check with him/her first and ask what the problem would be, since they probably know more a lot about electricity than me. (Shrug)

I hope I helped you at least a tiny bit, and if not, oh well, I tried. Keep on rocking, brony!
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby TheManeElectric » 25 Jan 2012 12:40

Electrical fields, particularly in apartment complexes where the population density is particularly high, can paly havoc on your sound, I know. A noise gate might help, but if you're new, might pay to do a little meet'n'greet with your neighbors and get to know who has a lot of tech and where they keep their fridge/whateverbigappliances so you can at least minimize it.

If nothing else, ramp the gain and start playing Noise Rock.
TheManeElectric

Postby MixolydianPony » 25 Jan 2012 14:05

Fluorescent lights? Those things are evil. If you have them, turn them off or something. If not, what the above posts said.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby Navron » 25 Jan 2012 15:11

Fans are also a large source of unwanted background noise, and in my case, my guitar's pickup can hear the frequency of my fan from up to 5ft away.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Pickslide1992 » 25 Jan 2012 15:55

^This also. Fans, while useful, can be torture on a guitar's signal. Besides, it's winter now, so unless you're in a hot environment, you shouldn't need one.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby LeafRunner » 25 Jan 2012 20:18

Pickslide1992 wrote:Have you invested in a noise gate?

Derrr... I completely forgot I have a noise gate on my Boss effects processor. I've never had to use it before so I forgot it was even there. That definitely helps, enough that I should be able to record decently now. Thanks for reminding me that it was there ;)

Contacted maintenance to check out to make sure everything is grounded properly. I don't get any change in sound when I touch the strings like you usually do with grounding problems though. No fans in the apartment at all, and all my lighting is done with small desk lamps that don't affect it at all. I guess it's just being in a densely populated area (I've lived out in the country most of my life). At least I do have that noise gate to help out.

Thanks a ton for the suggestions. I've been so long out of the "gear" side of things, it's slowly coming back to me how it all works.
LeafRunner

Postby Pickslide1992 » 25 Jan 2012 21:53

I knew the noise gate would help. It's a life saver for me (Though I have a Line 6 processor, not Boss)
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Return to Technique