8 GB of RAM, Constant "Out of Memory" Errors in Reason

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

8 GB of RAM, Constant "Out of Memory" Errors in Reason

Postby Senator Myth » 21 Jan 2012 14:09

This is really frustrating. I had this file open this morning, and it takes up about 1.5 GB of RAM when open. Now when I try to open it (looking at Windows Task Manager) I watch it top off at .5 GB before giving up. Reason gives me an "Out of Memory" message and opens up a new project file instead. Everything was working fine until today, but first I couldn't export the audio from this song and now I can't even open it. There's no reason for this to be happening, I'm running a computer that's less than two weeks out of the box and has 8 GB of memory.

I've tried restarting, disk cleanup, defragmentation (I had 0% fragmentation), and now I'm running the System File Checker tool in the command prompt since that's the only thing the internet seems to say might help. I think I remember someone else mentioning a similar problem to this a few days ago in FL Studio... Same idea, getting out of memory errors, 8 GB of RAM.

I guess the next step is to re-install Reason, although I've never had any silly problems like this before and I'm really surprised that it's started now. Reason's always been nothing less than fantastic. If anyone here has any advice whatsoever, I'd love to hear it. This is ridiculous.

EDIT: I uninstalled and reinstalled Reason to absolutely no effect.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Re: 8 GB of RAM, Constant "Out of Memory" Errors in Reason

Postby ArtAttack » 21 Jan 2012 14:37

I had one when I was mashupping yesterday in FL. It was a 1 time thing and nothing really happened.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby bartekko » 21 Jan 2012 14:42

Funny thing. I have the exact opposite problem: Ableton crashes because too much ram (64 bit is overrated)
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Freewave » 21 Jan 2012 16:00

Wow if you've been looking at it with Windows Task Manager and it doesn't come near that and it still runs out... that doesn't make a lot of sense. Any chance you can go back to a restore point of last good known configuration before this issue cropped up?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Senator Myth » 21 Jan 2012 16:39

You're not going to believe this, but I found a solution on a gaming site where someone was having a similar problem with a game. Evidently I had to disable half of my RAM so that I'm... only using one core, or something? I set my RAM to half of its default volume and now everything works just fine.

Or maybe it was something else that I did while desperately flailing around in msconfig. Either way, the problem seems to be gone.

So keep that in mind: if you have too little memory, disable half of it. WELCOME TO COMPUTERS.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Freewave » 21 Jan 2012 17:01

Senator Myth wrote:You're not going to believe this, but I found a solution on a gaming site where someone was having a similar problem with a game. Evidently I had to disable half of my RAM so that I'm... only using one core, or something? I set my RAM to half of its default volume and now everything works just fine.

Or maybe it was something else that I did while desperately flailing around in msconfig. Either way, the problem seems to be gone.

So keep that in mind: if you have too little memory, disable half of it. WELCOME TO COMPUTERS.

dear god, that's awful. if this issue only cropped up recently maybe you can restore that now that it's stopped and see if it won't re-occur. Glad you found a fix though.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Return to Technique