Need Assistance with Vocal Samples

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Need Assistance with Vocal Samples

Postby @ppleBukker » 11 Jan 2012 20:38

Here's the project at hand:

I'm currently working on a mashup of Giggle at the Ghosties and Moar Ghosts n' Stuff.
At the moment I'm working on getting Pinkie's vocal parts to match up with the main riff. So far, everything is working decently. However, I don't want the vocals to stand too far out from the music. Also, I want to implement some good effects to help blend the to together and give it a good feel. The only effect I have really experimented with so far is Auto Filter. Can anypony give any good suggestions on effects or tricks?

P.S. I'm using Ableton Live Intro 8.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Re: Need Assistance with Vocal Samples

Postby Navron » 11 Jan 2012 21:00

Depends on how much distortion is in the background. If you have a lot of white noise, a dual filter usually does the trick.

Vocals tend to seem like they stick out while you're composing, but don't overly try to blend them in by using too much reverb and other effects. At the least, a good stereo enhancer could be used to match the reverb level with your music.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby randomblockfilms » 12 Jan 2012 09:17

try maybe using a chorus effect or a spread effect. if you dont how to make a spread effect, just make it play 2 samples of the same thing. but detune the left and right outputs respectively n stuff. (probably not the best explanation) EX: left speaker is playing the sample at +50 cents and the right is playing the sample at -50 cents.

EDIT: lol didnt see that you are using ableton. xD

yeah defiantly mess around with the chorus effect. and maybe some reverb too.
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby bartekko » 12 Jan 2012 10:38

randomblockfilms wrote: EX: left speaker is playing the sample at +50 cents and the right is playing the sample at -50 cents.

It'd actually have to be like, 6 detuned samples, three to the left, three to the right.

and a whole semitone difference? no, that'd just be dissonant
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby SeanNH94 » 12 Jan 2012 11:50

Use a little bit of reverb, and a very quiet delay (I like to set it on ping-pong mode); that's usually enough to expand the vocals without detuning them a bunch. Mix them, then go listen to some other music for awhile; maybe sleep on it. Come back and see if the vocals aren't too loud/quiet.
SeanNH94

Postby @ppleBukker » 12 Jan 2012 14:00

Thanks for the advice, everypony. I'm gonna it all a try. You guys are great. I'll post the project file when I deem it worthy enough.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Return to Technique