Soundfonts

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Soundfonts

Postby MixolydianPony » 10 Dec 2011 06:26

I have no idea how they work, and my DAW has like three sentences on them in the built in help. So... what are they, and how do I use them? Since my software doesn't have support for them (that it's willing to tell me about, anyway), are there any free DAWs that can use them? As far as I understand, they take MIDI and make it sound...better.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Re: Soundfonts

Postby Versilaryan » 10 Dec 2011 06:40

If your DAW doesn't support them directly (very few do), you need a separate plugin to play them. The best free one is SFZ. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=10
Don't get the one on the official website. That's outdated and has lots of problems. =/

If you look in the VST Essentials thread somewhere here, there are links to a bunch of great soundfonts and great places to find soundfonts. Have fun!
Versilaryan

Postby MixolydianPony » 10 Dec 2011 07:30

Thanks so much :)

I've browsed the forums a bit, and I did find your link to this: http://the-filmmusic-group.deviantart.c ... -224143947 and I have to say, I'm surprised at how good these sound.

EDIT: What do I do with this file? It's a .dll.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby Versilaryan » 10 Dec 2011 07:35

Put it in whichever folder has your VST plugins in it. Assuming you're running Windows, the default one is C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTplugins\

But it can be whatever folder you want. Whichever one you specified in your DAW.
Versilaryan

Postby MixolydianPony » 10 Dec 2011 10:38

Alright, thanks for all the help, I've gotten it working. These SoundFonts sound so much better than MIDI.

MixolydianPony

Postby bartekko » 10 Dec 2011 11:33

MIDI itself doesn't have any sound at all. what might be the sound, might be your midi sound bank.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Return to Technique