I want to buy a midi-keyboard...

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

I want to buy a midi-keyboard...

Postby Howlgram » 30 Nov 2011 15:24

It sounds like, perfect for a christmas gift, for myself of course :D

but i know NOTHING about midi-keyboards, so if any of you could give me some guidelines.

I am not paying a fortune for something that i dont even know how to use yet, but im not greedy, so i would be glad if you tell me about quality and not high-priced keyboards, thanks =)

I am buying it because i have heard it is like x100 ways better than the pc keyboard, and it makes sense, just the limitation of octaves in the pc-keyboard SUCKS. Even though i havent done much at all....

Besides, i think it would be pretty nice to use, since i am gonna learn piano :P
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Re: I want to buy a midi-keyboard...

Postby Aussie » 30 Nov 2011 15:26

Akai MPK Mini. Cheap, efficient, great.
Aussie

Postby bartekko » 30 Nov 2011 15:35

As you're going to learn piano, I'd recommend something that has it's own audio engine (as no matter how good your pc is, It will still have a noticeable latency.

Look for something by casio, because Yamahas are damn expensive.

If you're looking forward to making electronica, why don't look at some synths they are damn expensive

I'm a happy user of Casio CTK-4000, which is nice for a simple reason, that is: it has USB connection, so no looking for midi to USB stuff.

It's a very good keyboard, with good built-in speakers, and comes with good amount of sounds.

However, If you're looking for something with weighted keys, more piano like, You're going to pay, a load of money

Aussie, he wants something with more than 2 octaves.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Howlgram » 30 Nov 2011 15:36

bartekko wrote:As you're going to learn piano, I'd recommend something that has it's own audio engine (as no matter how good your pc is, It will still have a noticeable latency.

Look for something by casio, because Yamahas are damn expensive.

If you're looking forward to making electronica, why don't look at some synths they are damn expensive

I'm a happy user of Casio CTK-4000, which is nice for a simple reason, that is: it has USB connection, so no looking for midi to USB stuff.

It's a very good keyboard, with good built-in speakers, and comes with good amount of sounds.

However, If you're looking for something with weighted keys, more piano like, You're going to pay, a load of money

Aussie, he wants something with more than 2 octaves.

thanks, i do have a real piano at my house to practice, so the midi-keyboard is merely for producing purposes =)
Last edited by Howlgram on 01 Dec 2011 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby Aussie » 30 Nov 2011 15:39

bartekko wrote:Aussie, he wants something with more than 2 octaves.

You can change octaves. Plus some buttons light up. That is very cool. Also it comes with a USB connector.

It's really the cheapest thing you could get besides the Korg NanoKey, and that thing looks awful.

edit: OH, and it has knobs you can use for automation. ;)
Aussie

Postby Versilaryan » 30 Nov 2011 16:21

If you're going to play real piano, don't get the MPK Mini. I mean, it's wonderful -- I use mine all the time -- but it's not what you're looking for. Look for one of the bigger keyboards (bigger as in more keys). It'll be much better for you.
Versilaryan

Postby bartekko » 30 Nov 2011 16:37

Aussie wrote:You can change octaves.

Howlgram wrote:just the limitation of octaves in the pc-keyboard SUCKS.

hurr durr

also, Mine LPD8 broke after 2 months
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Tsyolin » 30 Nov 2011 18:16

Versilaryan wrote:If you're going to play real piano, don't get the MPK Mini. I mean, it's wonderful -- I use mine all the time -- but it's not what you're looking for. Look for one of the bigger keyboards (bigger as in more keys). It'll be much better for you.

This is actually what I am looking into, anyone have opinions on a really good 61 key midi keyboard?
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby Thorinair » 01 Dec 2011 12:38

I use M-AUDIO KeyRig 49. Ofc, I never had any midi controller before this one, so I cannot tell if it's better than the other ones on the market, but what I CAN say is: It is cheap, and it works amazingly well! :D
Thorinair

Postby Freewave » 01 Dec 2011 17:38

yeah I gotta m-audio (came with a slightly stripped down version of pro tools which was ok) keyboard which was at the time $100 (was $130 retail elsewhere) but has been really solid and w/o lag. For slightly better price you can get some knobs you might tie into effects for on-the-fly changes but the for the most part that's not really needed as long as you have a full size keyboards.

The advantages of having a midi keyboard are pretty amazing as your recording at the same time you are playing, you can use it in any DAW, use any of its synths or add any synths to it (or effects) AND if you screw up a note or two as you play you can go back and fix them with the midi editor. MUch better than a stand alone synth in these cases (unless you're playing live).

Reaper is a great cheap stripped down DAW for using a mid keyboard by the way.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Versilaryan » 01 Dec 2011 18:54

I have a Casio WK-200, which is good, but maybe not what you want. It's very obviously marketed towards people who just want to get started dabbling in keyboards.
Versilaryan

Return to Technique