Automated Registration and Submission testing thread

Automated Registration and Submission testing thread

Postby Makkon » 04 Jul 2011 14:43

That is a legit title.
Our webmaster PHPony will be creating a more effective way of registering and submitting entries for the remix war. In order to do this, he will require some testing to make sure it works correctly. Please be supportive and cooperative with him in his efforts to make the remix war efficient and convenient.

He may ask for volunteers and for honest feedback. Do what you can to help him!

PHPony, take her away! XD

youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: Automated Registration and Submission testing thread

Postby Rainbow Hash » 04 Jul 2011 15:39

I've programmed some PHP web applications in the past, so if there is any coding help needed I'm up for the task. Very excited to have the process more streamlined for next time :D
Rainbow Hash

Postby PHPony » 06 Jul 2011 21:57

Get ready ponies. It's time to test stuff out! Head to the link below and play around with it in anyway you can. Let me know if stuff is broke or just flat out doesn't make sense. I have turned off admin restrictions on certain features so have fun. Editing and deleting your own submissions will be implemented later.

submission/list.php
PHPony
Site Admin

Postby sci » 06 Jul 2011 22:35

just messing around, way to tired to be feedbacking anything, but you can't stop my desire to help:

"participate in this event" adds you to the list of participants...and that's it.
makes sense considering the way this contest is organized. ok.

however, that page doesn't mention which event it's refering to. Looking at the page, I can only tell I've been added to a list of Participants.

from there ---> click the "Submit entry" at the top of the page...I get a submissions page that lists every contest ever. That might be messy unless you don't list old contests. (I'd hope!)

I'd ditch the dropdown box and generate a submissions page for each contest.

submit---> look at entry page ----> my email is rather exposed, here. might want to watch that. <_<

trying to break stuff----> proper url detection. you are a better programmer man than I.

however, you can totally enter a non-youtube link into the youtube box. (there we go, that's more like my code. ;p )

hopefully that was more helpful than not
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby PHPony » 06 Jul 2011 22:56

sci wrote:"participate in this event" adds you to the list of participants...and that's it.
makes sense considering the way this contest is organized. ok.

however, that page doesn't mention which event it's refering to. Looking at the page, I can only tell I've been added to a list of Participants.

I added the event name to this page and the entries page now.

sci wrote:from there ---> click the "Submit entry" at the top of the page...I get a submissions page that lists every contest ever. That might be messy unless you don't list old contests. (I'd hope!)

I'd ditch the dropdown box and generate a submissions page for each contest.

I was thinking of that idea earlier. I'll probably do that later.

sci wrote:submit---> look at entry page ----> my email is rather exposed, here. might want to watch that. <_<

This is one of the admin only pages that I left open for testing purposes right now.

sci wrote:trying to break stuff----> proper url detection. you are a better programmer man than I.

Mind expanding on what you mean by this? I know right now I have hardcoded all paths and what not in just for testing purposes, but maybe I missed something else?

sci wrote:however, you can totally enter a non-youtube link into the youtube box. (there we go, that's more like my code. ;p )

I didn't really do much for validation here. Though I can probably just apply the code I guess to check for youtube on the export page.

Thanks for the feedback.
PHPony
Site Admin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 07 Jul 2011 09:08

I managed to see a Withdraw button on an event I wasn't taking part in. Also I can never seem to participate in anything apart from RWIII, unless this is intentional.

A little thing that could be added is some sort of countdown towards the cutoff date (not necessarily a continually updating one - no Java(script?) here). IIRC, ASP can do some stuff with date/time so I assume PHP can too. If you could get it to say something like the end date/time and then the time remaining next to it, it'd be really useful to anyone from any time zone. (Remaining time in format 'Wd Xh Ym Zs remaining'?)

I think the general formatting and layout needs to be improved but that is rather minor right now.

Nevertheless I will keep looking for bugs. I am very picky, so I will be sure to complain about anything I find, ahah.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby PHPony » 07 Jul 2011 10:36

I fixed the withdraw issue. I suppose checking if a person is participate in a certain event I should actually check that specific event. =p

See if that lets you participate in other events. As for the layout/formatting that's secondary right now. I just want to make sure all the functionality is working. I can throw a clock in there too, but that won't be till later when I get back from work.
PHPony
Site Admin

Postby sci » 07 Jul 2011 14:29

PHPony wrote:
sci wrote:trying to break stuff----> proper url detection. you are a better programmer man than I.

Mind expanding on what you mean by this? I know right now I have hardcoded all paths and what not in just for testing purposes, but maybe I missed something else?

whoops, that was a bit vauge, haha.

I mean when I tried to enter "stringwithnospaces" into the download link box, it said "stringwithnospaces" was not a proper url.

the self-deprecating jest at myself was referring to my own system, which would happily accept and attempt to parse any string you throw at it as a url. :P
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby PHPony » 07 Jul 2011 16:15

Haha. It's nothing fancy.

<input type="url" name="youtube" required>

Purely browser based and could easily be circumvented in any number of ways. I'm just betting on everypony using a nice modern browser and not fiddling around with their entries.
PHPony
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 09 Jul 2011 21:10

:O

This is amazing. You're a rockstar!
I'm going to play with this tonight...
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Return to Remix War