Round III Challenge Discussion

Re: Round III Challenge Discussion

Postby Versilaryan » 03 Jul 2011 22:58

Collab also has my vote. As much as I love odd time signatures, I don't think that's a really pony-related or community-building challenge at all. =P

Also completely against the sampling thing, because that excludes many, many schools of music. Yeah, it challenges them to do something that they don't usually do, but it doesn't challenge people who usually do that sort of thing anyways.
Versilaryan

Postby Whitetail » 03 Jul 2011 23:07

I don't think I've heard a single person do a song comprised of only samples used in creative ways.

It'd definitely be groundbreaking and I'm confident you guys could find a way to adapt, as I said earlier - I like sink or swim.
Whitetail

Postby General Mumble » 04 Jul 2011 05:20

Despite odd timing having my vote, the new idea of collabs now takes it. Good thing this isn't an actual voting system.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Pinkie Cake » 04 Jul 2011 05:23

My vote would go for collabs too. Themes are good too. Collab themed song?
The problem is that I don't know much about time signatures, thats why I'm afraid of that challenge.
Pinkie Cake

Postby Mundius » 04 Jul 2011 06:20

I have nothing against collabs, but I'd prefer the double remix option.

I know little to nothing on music, so I tend to do bad on them.
Mundius

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ArtAttack » 04 Jul 2011 08:33

After thinking about it, Collabs have grown on me. It's getting my vote, if/when there is one.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby NightColt » 04 Jul 2011 13:24

Hm... the collab idea appeals to me too. Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who's absolutely AGAINST it?
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Interrobang Pie » 04 Jul 2011 13:26

Well, no, not really. I just need to find another Famitracker pony.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Makkon » 04 Jul 2011 13:33

I think having the option of doing a collab or doing a double remix would balance it out. I say that because not everyone will be able to find a partner if they want to do the collab.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby sci » 04 Jul 2011 15:08

Interrobang Pie wrote:Well, no, not really. I just need to find another Famitracker pony.

hello~
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Interrobang Pie » 04 Jul 2011 15:12

sci wrote:hello~

Epic. Would you be willing?
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby sci » 04 Jul 2011 15:38

Interrobang Pie wrote:Epic. Would you be willing?

I'm rustier than a horror movie murder axe with famitracker, but yes. :D

also +1 for what makkon said.
that way there's a challenge for everybody.
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby RobotPony » 05 Jul 2011 02:36

I am a little late to this, but I like the idea of the colabs/double remix, the odd time signatures and the themes of places. It seems like the colabs/double remix have taken off and I am fine with that. As I don't have experience with this kind of music, I will probably go for the double remix as I'm not too sure how anyone would deal with a newbie such as myself.
RobotPony

Postby General Mumble » 05 Jul 2011 07:30

RobotPony wrote:I am a little late to this, but I like the idea of the colabs/double remix, the odd time signatures and the themes of places. It seems like the colabs/double remix have taken off and I am fine with that. As I don't have experience with this kind of music, I will probably go for the double remix as I'm not too sure how anyone would deal with a newbie such as myself.

Everyone would deal with you with love and tolerance, I'm fairly certain.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Mundius » 05 Jul 2011 09:24

Interrobang Pie wrote:Well, no, not really. I just need to find another Famitracker pony.

I have it, but I never got far into it. Add in the fact that there's an odd anti-aliasing in the higher NES notes and the fact that I forgot how to read 6502 HEX, and... :lol:
Mundius

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby RobotPony » 05 Jul 2011 16:16

General Mumble wrote:Everyone would deal with you with love and tolerance, I'm fairly certain.

Well, yes. But, you know what I mean. I can write a song just fine, but I know very little about the production side of things. So, I could see why it would be irritating for anyone to work with me, well, unless they're new at this too.
RobotPony

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 05 Jul 2011 16:24

I am super late to this but I have an idea, lot's of people seem to be cool with unconventional time sigs but how about we use more unconventional instruments as well? I mean like Hurdy Gurdies, Tin Whistles, bagpipes, harpsichords, clavis, clarsach and all that jazz? Although, this might be tough for the electro bronies /=
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Whitetail » 05 Jul 2011 16:33

Problem is that sort of difficulty is relative to what you normally do, so while it's really challenging for some people for others it's a sinch. Also there's the whole matter of acquiring said instruments, which isn't always easy depending on programs you use, what's available to you and your budget - that's why I feel we should stay away from themes that specify genre or instrument choice.
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 05 Jul 2011 17:01

Well I say the time signatures are still a good idea, the instrumentation...somewhat biased I might as well admit. How about crazy key signatures? or perhaps sticking to a mode or scale that is uncommon? For example, Pinkie Pie's polka theme is in F Major Mixilodian. An uncommon choice for a song and thus taking forever to figure out.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Versilaryan » 05 Jul 2011 17:10

Crazy key signatures is a no, I think, because all you have to do is hit the little transpose button and move it up or down a step or two after writing it in a different key. Guitars have capos/alternate tunings, and it would only alienate the very few people (if anyone) actually playing other instruments for these challenges.
Versilaryan

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 05 Jul 2011 17:16

Versilaryan wrote:Crazy key signatures is a no, I think, because all you have to do is hit the little transpose button and move it up or down a step or two after writing it in a different key. Guitars have capos/alternate tunings, and it would only alienate the very few people (if anyone) actually playing other instruments for these challenges.

An excellent point... Well I'm out of ideas :p
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Jul 2011 14:20

How about remix war unplugged? That might be fun... I've noticed a lot of electronic stuff and even though I love it, some acoustic pony tunes could be cool too.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Overkillius » 06 Jul 2011 14:25

DerpyGrooves wrote:How about remix war unplugged? That might be fun... I've noticed a lot of electronic stuff and even though I love it, some acoustic pony tunes could be cool too.

unfortunately I am not good at instruments... that would force me to write something simple that even I can play....

Actually that is a good thing because I like simple songs. I'd still have to use a midi key board, but it is essentially a piano.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Whitetail » 06 Jul 2011 14:27

Main problem I see with themes that limit instruments is finding the means of production, plugins and such, for people who don't normally use them/not being much of a challenge to people who normally do go with acoustic sounds.
Whitetail

Postby DerpyGrooves » 06 Jul 2011 14:37

Derpy Hooves wrote:Main problem I see with themes that limit instruments is finding the means of production, plugins and such, for people who don't normally use them/not being much of a challenge to people who normally do go with acoustic sounds.

Well there are a lot of free acoustic VSTs out there for the non-instrumentalists among us. Running around for about two seconds on KVR shows that. But yeah, just my .02$ :)
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

PreviousNext

Return to Remix War