Remix War IV

Re: Remix War IV

Postby PiercingSight » 26 Sep 2011 15:08

PiercingSight wrote:Wait... is the remix war already over? :(

Looks like I might have joined the game a little late. I won't be here next spring.

FRACK! IT IS! Imma just go die now... :cry:
I don't believe in work. I believe in productive play. - me

Yamaha DGX-620, Garageband '11.
Instruments: Piano (by ear since I was 3), violin (barely), Guitar (novice).

http://soundcloud.com/piercingsight
http://youtube.com/user/danegraphics
PiercingSight

Postby PiercingSight » 26 Sep 2011 15:10

PiercingSight wrote:
PiercingSight wrote:Wait... is the remix war already over? :(

Looks like I might have joined the game a little late. I won't be here next spring.

FRACK! IT IS! Imma just go die now... :cry:

You know what!?! SCREW THIS! I'll be a late entry and NO ONE CAN STOP ME!! :twisted:

PiercingSight

Postby bartekko » 26 Sep 2011 15:15

@PiercingSight
you know there's a feature called "edit"?
besides, The http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Q4yzsVMSA, I don't really see what's the problem here, as it's got the big "Bartekko as Aussie" in the title (okay, it wasn't at the banishing time, but I could have been informed on that, blah blah blah)

PiercingSight, wait for me with dying! Or I'll kill you
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby PiercingSight » 26 Sep 2011 15:18

bartekko wrote:@PiercingSight
you know there's a feature called "edit"?
besides, The http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Q4yzsVMSA, I don't really see what's the problem here, as it's got the big "Bartekko as Aussie" in the title (okay, it wasn't at the banishing time, but I could have been informed on that, blah blah blah)

PiercingSight, wait for me with dying! Or I'll kill you

Yeah, I know, but I wanted to be more dramatic making it look like I was talking to myself.

;) don't worry I'm not one for suicide..

PiercingSight

Postby NoiZyBroNy » 26 Sep 2011 15:22

So guys.... results.... posted on EQD.... WHEN??? D:
NoiZyBroNy

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 26 Sep 2011 15:31

Hey, y'know, you could've asked me to export a version of Discord (Luna Mode) that has a louder intro so that it doesn't blow out your ears if you turn it up. Seriously, are you ponies that trigger-happy? Think about the friendship way to do things, not the way to burn bridges.

If you want that fixed "ear friendly" version to be included in a more ***COMPLETE*** version of the RW4 pack, please, let me know. I can get it to you guys by tonight.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Senator Myth » 26 Sep 2011 16:38

Supersaw Hoover wrote:Hey, y'know, you could've asked me to export a version of Discord (Luna Mode) that has a louder intro so that it doesn't blow out your ears if you turn it up. Seriously, are you ponies that trigger-happy? Think about the friendship way to do things, not the way to burn bridges.

If you want that fixed "ear friendly" version to be included in a more ***COMPLETE*** version of the RW4 pack, please, let me know. I can get it to you guys by tonight.

With all due respect, I don't think it's NotACleverPony's or anyone else's duty to personally contact every single person who created a banned song, explain to them why exactly it was banned, ask them if they want to make an alternate version, patiently wait while they do, then take the time to listen to it again to see if it fits criteria, give them more feedback, etc... That would have delayed the whole process of compiling the tracks considerably, and if you had doubts about your song, then you really should have addressed them to someone in charge BEFORE submitting it...

Again, I say this respectfully. I thought your song was actually pretty cool, maybe not appropriate for the final list but definitely still interesting!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Makkon » 26 Sep 2011 17:48

So guys. I noticed EQD hasn't posted anything yet. Looks like Seth isn't there or something?
Maybe we really pissed them off last time. I blame I-Pie.

Just kidding man, you did a lot for the remix war this round, thanks a ton, man (:
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 26 Sep 2011 17:52

Makkon wrote:I blame I-Pie.

GnHPSUIDGUIOSD

Makkon wrote:Just kidding man, you did a lot for the remix war this round, thanks a ton, man (:

Oh okay.

I think Cereal is just lazy to post it. It has been sent in, apparently.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby NoiZyBroNy » 26 Sep 2011 18:17

Cereal needs to stop bucking around and get to posting. :C
NoiZyBroNy

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 26 Sep 2011 18:48

Senator Myth wrote:
Supersaw Hoover wrote:Hey, y'know, you could've asked me to export a version of Discord (Luna Mode) that has a louder intro so that it doesn't blow out your ears if you turn it up. Seriously, are you ponies that trigger-happy? Think about the friendship way to do things, not the way to burn bridges.

With all due respect, I don't think it's NotACleverPony's or anyone else's duty to personally contact every single person who created a banned song, explain to them why exactly it was banned, ask them if they want to make an alternate version, patiently wait while they do, then take the time to listen to it again to see if it fits criteria, give them more feedback, etc... That would have delayed the whole process of compiling the tracks considerably, and if you had doubts about your song, then you really should have addressed them to someone in charge BEFORE submitting it...

Again, I say this respectfully. I thought your song was actually pretty cool, maybe not appropriate for the final list but definitely still interesting!

Thank you for being considerate and still staying in the benevolent social climate of this website, but to be honest, I never expected that to be the case. I was just simply offering an alternate version if it was not too late for tonight.

Actually, scratch that. I do expect a little more common decency with regard to the banning of songs from the final list. There aren't many. Like, what, five or so? It would take not one minute to write up a small form letter (doesn't have to be personalized) and send it to five ponies--no, less, because three of the banned songs are from the same person. This is an issue of, quite simply, the idea of banning songs in a non-competitive compilation that was OPEN TO EVERYPONY in the first place. I'll be blunt here: this policy is dangerously subjective the way it is being presented and carried out here.

Really, the only tracks that should be "banned" or "sent to the moon" are tracks that a) the artist has asked to take out (like, iirc, Cat Milly's voiceover thing), and, possibly, b) tracks that could possibly be considered damaging and/or harmful (and I'll admit my track might fall under that category for less robust ears). The other tracks, even if they aren't "good", have no business in a list like that. It's subjective. It's unfair. It's unprofessional.

Now, if we get it boiled down to that, one doesn't have to contact the ones who want their tracks taken out, and then one is only left with the few (read: very few) who fall into the latter category of objectively ban-able tracks in a free, open compilation like this. This should probably be done as soon as possible with a strict deadline of around a day so that you DON'T get held up. If you guys want to be more professional and upstanding and not fall into the trap of being another music community not based around friendship but based around elitism, you don't want to alienate any artist, big or small, who you initially promised entry...and, if you forget, I'll say it again: EVERYPONY was promised entry preemptively, so you've got no excuse.

I'm not stressing this because I'm pissed about "Discord (Luna Mode)" being banned. No, I plan to throw "[BANNED FROM REMIX WAR 4]" on every last iteration of it on the Internet as a selling point. What I'm stressing is that this is a matter of principle. It's a slippery slope we're dealing with here, and I'd like to address it.

Plus, doing something like this--especially leaving another track of the artist in--might alter the artist's willingness to keep the remaining tracks that are in the compilation in at all. For example, earlier today I did consider asking that my style swap entry be pulled because, although I love sci very much, it is not the style I want to propagate with the name Supersaw Hoover by itself in a Remix War that newer bronies might get as their first introduction to the artists presented. I now won't do that because I realized you guys probably already sent it to EqD and that it wouldn't be fair to sci.

Here's an idea, though: why not publish the banned songs list, too, with the warnings/reasons why they were banned and everything? Put a huge big disclaimer on the top saying "LISTEN AT YOUR OWN RISK" or something. It's better than just sending them to the moon, after all.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Makkon » 26 Sep 2011 19:12

Supersaw Hoover: While your complaint is valid and true, these are the standards laid out to us by Equestria Daily. They are giving us a great service in advertising and publicizing this event and all of our work in a way that we are incapable of doing ourselves. This is a privilege, one of which we abused last round and almost didn't get the chance to do this again. As our benefactors, they have the right to request this standard and, as such, we have the responsibility to enforce it.

While you may find this practice to be unprofessional, it is quite the contrary. In the real professional world, this standard would be substantially higher, and no courtesy would be given to the participants.

If you have further questions on the matter, please contact Iamnotacleverpony personally. He will be able to help you. I will also inquire his thoughts on the matter.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 26 Sep 2011 19:15

Makkon wrote:Supersaw Hoover: While your complaint is valid and true, these are the standards laid out to us by Equestria Daily. They are giving us a great service in advertising and publicizing this event and all of our work in a way that we are incapable of doing ourselves. This is a privilege, one of which we abused last round and almost didn't get the chance to do this again. As our benefactors, they have the right to request this standard and, as such, we have the responsibility to enforce it.

While you may find this practice to be unprofessional, it is quite the contrary. In the real professional world, this standard would be substantially higher, and no courtesy would be given to the participants.

If you have further questions on the matter, please contact Iamnotacleverpony personally. He will be able to help you. I will also inquire his thoughts on the matter.

Point taken. Thanks, also, for being totally civil and understanding in this matter. I love how ponies bring out the nicer side of everypony.

That said, do consider releasing the banana list publicly in some manner in the future. It might be fun for the masochistic ponies in the audience.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby penguindf12 » 26 Sep 2011 19:23

Supersaw Hoover wrote:
Makkon wrote:Supersaw Hoover: While your complaint is valid and true, these are the standards laid out to us by Equestria Daily. They are giving us a great service in advertising and publicizing this event and all of our work in a way that we are incapable of doing ourselves. This is a privilege, one of which we abused last round and almost didn't get the chance to do this again. As our benefactors, they have the right to request this standard and, as such, we have the responsibility to enforce it.

Point taken. Thanks, also, for being totally civil and understanding in this matter. I love how ponies bring out the nicer side of everypony.

That said, do consider releasing the banana list publicly in some manner in the future. It might be fun for the masochistic ponies in the audience.

That could be a fun idea, I know I would personally go DIRECTLY to the ban list if I saw the option :3

However, I think the best solution would be to lay down rules/guidelines in a pretty objective manner from the get-go. I definitely agree with Makkon regarding EqD politeness, and all of the banned biz seemed pretty reasonable-deducible from a quick glance.
penguindf12

Postby Makkon » 26 Sep 2011 19:25

Results are in!

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/r ... re-in.html

[edit]
wow I'm slow... Downloading all the entries and giving them a listen. Also, did anyone compile a playlist for youtube yet?

If not, we can export one in seconds. Just give the word.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Facade » 26 Sep 2011 20:11

Makkon wrote:Results are in!

[edit]
wow I'm slow... Downloading all the entries and giving them a listen. Also, did anyone compile a playlist for youtube yet?

wait how do we know who got what place?
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby PinkieGuy » 26 Sep 2011 20:22

petfood56 wrote:

[edit]

Andy Feelin' came first, I-Pie came last, and everyone else came joint second.

The above names were chosen randomly
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Facade » 26 Sep 2011 20:39

PinkieGuy wrote:
petfood56 wrote:

[edit]

Andy Feelin' came first, I-Pie came last, and everyone else came joint second.

The above names were chosen randomly

haha that would be awesome if i came in second :D
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby sci » 27 Sep 2011 01:14

did...um...anyone want a log of the public sync? <_<
I was a little late to the start, and my internet died a few times...but I did log the most of this.
if...anyone wanted it

it's an HTML export, so as to preserve the smileys.

http://toastbeard.comli.com/pony/remix% ... RTIAL.html

I also included the songlist at the top since the order was shuffled. I didn't announce the songs in chat though. I don't have that kind of stamina. >_>
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Mundius » 27 Sep 2011 08:13

Just wondering... why do we have a second Vinyl Scratch?
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Interrobang Pie » 27 Sep 2011 08:28

Because naming yourself after a character is stupid and you just KNOW there's going to be another person doing the exact same thing.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Mundius » 27 Sep 2011 08:29

For some odd reason, I find that to be an acceptable answer.

Back to lurking! (Or a name change)
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 27 Sep 2011 09:25

Wow, my Synchtube must have been derping, so many comments that I did not see! Sounds like a lot of them weren't paying too much attention though...:P
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby SuperGiantRobot » 29 Sep 2011 18:06

My favorite is Giggle at the Ghosty (Overjoyed Mix)
SuperGiantRobot

Previous

Return to Remix War