Remix War IV: Working out the details

Remix War IV: Working out the details

Postby Makkon » 15 Aug 2011 20:34

So, Remix War IV needs to start soon. But before we do anything, we need to work out the details to make sure this one goes down smoothly. We'll update this list as we get the answers. Sorry for the late start guys, lot of stuff going on.

So, things to take care of first:

Start and End date?
    Deadline time, compensating for timezones?
    How will we handle all the content? Categories or split into sections?
    Who will host the sync party?
    Who will compile the MP3 download pack?
    What should the rules say for remixes this round?
    What should the rules say for the challenge track this round?

More questions will be added as we discuss things.

So, how does everyone feel making this round twice as long to compensate for school? And also starting mid week or next week?
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: Remix War IV: Working out the details

Postby Aussie » 15 Aug 2011 21:39

1. Definitely longer since school and all.
2. Sometime around 7 PM EST. That should be good for just about everyone, possibly.
3. Uh, IDK. :D
4. Circuitfry can host it like he always has.
5. Rainbow Hash could do it again, I guess.
6. I DUNO LOL
7. SEE 6.
Aussie

Postby Stars In Autumn » 15 Aug 2011 21:44

Makkon wrote:So, Remix War IV needs to start soon. But before we do anything, we need to work out the details to make sure this one goes down smoothly. We'll update this list as we get the answers. Sorry for the late start guys, lot of stuff going on.

So, things to take care of first:

Start and End date?

More questions will be added as we discuss things.

So, how does everyone feel making this round twice as long to compensate for school? And also starting mid week or next week?

We can start midweek or next, but I like it ending on that Saturday. Also, we should see if we can get the deadline to end a little earlier in the day, so east coasters can enjoy the sync listen. I'm not sure what this does for our Europe bronies though.

We should also probably have a couple sync listen sessions, since last time went on pretty long. Maybe one Saturday and one Sunday. We can just split by name or order of entry.

The rules of the last remix war should be fine. For the challenge track, I'm not sure. A brony should be able to select any style of the swapped brony's. It doesn't have to be that brony's main style of music. Bronies should be encouraged to help each other if they have any questions about their style.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby NightColt » 15 Aug 2011 21:52

As far as timing for the sync-watch goes, I think about 2pm EST should work best for everyone. Assuming the total time racks up to about 4 hours, that comes out to

11am to 3pm for US West
2pm to 6pm for US East
7pm to 11pm for GMT
and I think 9pm to 1am for our more Eastern European bronies.

And then we host both Sat and Sun?
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Versilaryan » 15 Aug 2011 22:21

Start and End date?

For the actual dates, I don't have a preference, as long as the deadline falls during a weekend. I'd like the timeframe to be a little longer, though, because most of us are starting up school really soon. (And that means that I can't do things like sitting down for four days straight recording and editing. xD)

Whoever said 2 PM Eastern has the right idea. That's early afternoon for America and evening for Europe. Not sure about other countries, though. >.>

I think we should split it into sections. A few of us sat down with Notacleverpony earlier and discussed this -- I think that splitting it into arbitrary sections (like alphabetical, or what time you submitted it) would be far better than having categories. A HUGE part of the synchlisten is getting people to say, "Y'know, I usually don't listen to this kind of music, but this is cool. I'll have to check more out later." And categorizing the music would take away from that, I think.

We do need to split up the entries; that much is certain. A four-hour synchlisten is a bit much, and if it grows like it's been growing... Maybe have the deadline on a Saturday, have the first part then, and then host part 2 the same time Sunday?

Circuitfry and Interrobang did a good job before. They can do it again, if they're up for it.

I can do it again. It shouldn't be too much trouble, considering I'll have more notice than last time. xD That, and my school internet is ridiculously fast, so there shouldn't be any stupid upload problems again.

Whatever they said for last round is perfectly fine. Standardizing how you submit collabs would be nice, though, even just so people know the option is there and don't have a bajillion questions about small things.

Something like, "If you collaborate with someone, make sure you have both of your names in the title. You may both upload it to your Youtube channels, but please know that only one video will be posted to the Remix War playlist. Have one (and only one!) of you enter your collaboration into the MLR events page."

That's up for debate, and I don't feel like debating. Should you try to completely emulate someone else, or should you incorporate a bit of your own style into someone else's genre? I dunno.
Versilaryan

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 15 Aug 2011 22:32

Versilaryan wrote:Whoever said 2 PM Eastern has the right idea. That's early afternoon for America and evening for Europe. Not sure about other countries, though. >.>

That would be 3am for me! 8-)
But I'm not bothered about missing a sync listen for the greater good!

Deadline-wise, make it longer, as many of us have school/Uni/work to do now (myself included!)

I think the faq for the last remix wars covered all the things people asked, so that's fine, but the challenge track will need explaining...

That's all I can think of saying at the moment...
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Circuitfry » 15 Aug 2011 23:40

I agree with it ending on a Saturday. It's a damn tradition for me to host the Synchtube!
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Makkon » 16 Aug 2011 00:46

I like where this is going!

Now I don't mean to single anyone out at all, and I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable, but this needs to be mentioned. Last round we had entries that EQD would have never accepted, and we've had to personally apologize to the Equestria Daily Staff because of the content and nature of those entries. Needless to say, it was extremely embarrassing.
I'm sorry to say, but this round we will be filtering for inappropriate content, or entries that have little artistic merit. If you have any questions, PM Notacleverpony; he'd be glad to talk to you about it.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby RobotPony » 16 Aug 2011 01:00

I feel that's for the best. You can't just accept everything - especially now that it's so big! It's fine to be a selective, it gives people something to shoot for.

I like where this is going to! Saturday is a good day to end it and I like splitting up the synchtube stream into two days. I was too tired that last one, but hopefully I won't stay up until 4:30 the previous night working on my remix, heh.
RobotPony

Postby Aussie » 16 Aug 2011 02:26

Makkon wrote:Last round we had entries that EQD would have never accepted, and we've had to personally apologize to the Equestria Daily Staff because of the content and nature of those entries. Needless to say, it was extremely embarrassing.

Am I the only one who wants to hear these songs? Come on, they can't be that bad. :lol:
Aussie

Postby Pinkie Cake » 16 Aug 2011 03:41

Makkon wrote:
    Start and End date?

1. Well the start time doesn't really bother me it could even be today :D and the nd date could be 17th of september, it's saturday and it would be a whole month from now to make music.
2. 1 or 2PM EST sounds good for me.
3. I seriously have no idea, I like how it was before.
4. Circuit?
5. Anypony who has amazing internet speed.
6. Like before, everything was fine and I think we should keep it that way.
7. No idea, it's up to organizers and the community to figure that one out :D

NightColt wrote:and I think 9pm to 1am for our more Eastern European bronies.

I can live with that if this would be the Saturday night, because college on Monday.

Aussie wrote:
Makkon wrote:Last round we had entries that EQD would have never accepted, and we've had to personally apologize to the Equestria Daily Staff because of the content and nature of those entries. Needless to say, it was extremely embarrassing.

Am I the only one who wants to hear these songs? Come on, they can't be that bad. :lol:
Believe me, you're not the only one. This got me very intrigued.
Pinkie Cake

Postby Interrobang Pie » 16 Aug 2011 04:04

LEARN TO USE LIST TAGS DAMMIT
  • Start and End date?
    17 August - 3 September. It was good with the extra 'thinking' time. I'm not sure when school starts for me though (probably the 5th or 2nd or some shit like that).
  • Deadline time, compensating for timezones?
    Say 8am GMT and that should mean that everyone has to give it in by night (equates to 2am CST)
  • How will we handle all the content? Categories or split into sections?
    Alphabetical is not great, since AAA will get all the views and ZZZ won't get any. However I can't really think of a better way to order it other than first come first served.
  • Who will host the sync party?
    MyLittleRemix is it's own synchtube channel now. Whoever is active can host it, I guess - I gave the password to Circuit and the three mods. If I do the public synchtube then I'll need someone to follow up for me at the half-way point (assuming, of course, it's going to be a 4-hour gauntlet with a YTP intermission).
  • Who will compile the MP3 download pack?
    Who did it last time?
  • What should the rules say for remixes this round?
    Same as they did last round. After all, nothing changes.
  • What should the rules say for the challenge track this round?
    Something about style swaps. Also make sure to refer to the relevant threads - pairings and hints. Make a copy of the RWIII Google Docs thing and I'll take a stab at making it RWIV.

Did you give him my Toastbeard entries or something???!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That said, I've known EqD for overreacting. A lot.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby SilvaHound » 16 Aug 2011 09:43

Aussie wrote:

Same here! :lol:
SilvaHound

Cutie Mark: G Clef

Postby NightColt » 16 Aug 2011 13:00

SilvaHound wrote:
Aussie wrote:
Makkon wrote:Last round we had entries that EQD would have never accepted, and we've had to personally apologize to the Equestria Daily Staff because of the CONTENT AND NATURE of those entries. Needless to say, it was extremely embarrassing.

Same here! :lol:

*cough* *cough* *circuitflank vids* *cough*
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Makkon » 16 Aug 2011 14:27

I'll update the list from the consensus when I get home.

Regarding the entries in question, we need to do this for the sake of quality control. Also there were some images that were inappropriate used in the youtube videos. We just need to make sure this is about the music, not the lulz.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Whitetail » 16 Aug 2011 15:48

NightColt wrote:
Makkon wrote:Last round we had entries that EQD would have never accepted, and we've had to personally apologize to the Equestria Daily Staff because of the CONTENT AND NATURE of those entries. Needless to say, it was extremely embarrassing.

*cough* *cough* *circuitflank vids* *cough*

If someone wants to show up personally dancing in their video I don't think anyone has a problem with that haha, it's a different one that was pushing it (and yes, I'm noting the sarcasm there).
Whitetail

Postby Stars In Autumn » 16 Aug 2011 18:43

Well, I can think of one song in question in the remix war that probably went too overboard for EqD. I agree that we should do the content filtering, since EqD also doesn't post content of a similar nature in other artistic fields.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby NightColt » 16 Aug 2011 21:30

Okay, so now that we've got the content-filtering thing going, how are we going to put it into action? It presents a couple of questions:

- Who will be in charge of the process? (Probably Makkon) I suppose it's not such a big deal - if it's an obvious no-no, it's an obvious no-no. Just as long as the person getting dropped gets notified and perhaps gets the chance to argue his or her case.

- How will this affect the timing of the sync-listen? Though the person in charge will be able to listen to the entries as they come in, there will probably be a huge influx of last-minute entries that will come in. If the deadline is the day before the sync-listen (say Friday @ Midnight whatever timezone) it should provide ample time to take care of filtering, playlist-making, and email-to-EqD-sending, no?
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Makkon » 17 Aug 2011 13:30

That falls on me, NC, and PinkiePieSwear. It's really things that are obviously offensive (really guys, we're not that sensitive), but we also want to avoid troll entries this time around. Nothing offensive about those in particular, we just want everyone to remember that this is about the music.
It'll all be handled privately and the offender will have the opportunity to correct it or to remove it. If they don't comply, though, we'll do it for them and they'll be notified. Last minute entries that sneak by with unsuitable material might make it into the syncparty (maybe, if we don't catch it) but they won't be submitted to the playlist or featured on EQD.

Sorry if I made it sound like a bid deal. It's really not, we just don't want to lose focus or burn out 80% of our audience this round. Thanks again, guys!

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 18 Aug 2011 21:18

Kay guys, really sorry. Been a rough week, so we'll get this rolling first thing on Monday. We'll make it last a full 3 weeks (let me know if that's not long enough, we can vote for an extension if things get a little rough because of school).

I'll be writing the doc this saturday. Thank you guys so much for your help on this one!

BTW, we still haven't landed on a set time for the due date. What time can we agree on? And it looks like we'll be splitting the syncparty over two days. Is that what we're all decided on?

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby MichaelA » 18 Aug 2011 21:22

Sounds good. The synch parties should really be on weekends though, That would make it better for everyone.
Also, what are we going to name our tracks?

"Twilight Sparkle swaps Pinkie Pie"?
"Twilight Sparkle Emulates Pinkie Pie"?

Any ideas?
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby RobotPony » 18 Aug 2011 23:19

I think having the synchtube on the weekends would be the best as well. At the very least, it would mean that there wouldn't have to be any worries about school.
RobotPony

Postby Interrobang Pie » 19 Aug 2011 03:25

mrpickle wrote:Also, what are we going to name our tracks?

Twilight emulates Pinkie Pie - 101 Ways to Party

It just makes the most sense.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby UnderpΩny » 19 Aug 2011 06:49

Can we try and hold off the start date for a week or two? Then I might be able to participate after all :3
UnderpΩny

Postby General Mumble » 19 Aug 2011 09:29

Uh...

*ahem*

Sorry >_>

Won't happen again.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo