Round 4 Challenge Discussion.

Re: Round 4 Challenge Discussion.

Postby RobotPony » 07 Aug 2011 12:17

A friend-off is typically when you write a story based off of a picture someone drew, or vice versa, I believe. In this case, it would be making a song based on a fanfic, picture or comic.
RobotPony

Postby Andy Feelin » 07 Aug 2011 13:44

RobotPony wrote:I believe. In this case, it would be making a song based on a fanfic, picture or comic.

It's very challenging... But I am for it. I like the idea. Finally making remix of another brony's song is not such hard thing to do than conveing a certain meaning.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby Eurobeat Brony » 07 Aug 2011 14:20

Interrobang Pie wrote:Also some new ideas I'm going to toss in here for funsies:
  • Emulate another brony's musical style.

This one. I like it. :3
Eurobeat Brony

Postby MichaelA » 07 Aug 2011 16:07

Eurobeat Brony wrote:
Interrobang Pie wrote:Also some new ideas I'm going to toss in here for funsies:
  • Emulate another brony's musical style.

This one. I like it. :3

Same. This would be cool to learn how other people go about making music, or how that genre/style is made.
I vote for this.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby ArtAttack » 07 Aug 2011 17:28

Interrobang Pie wrote:Emulate another brony's musical style.

This.
But, don't make it just like "I'll choose to emulate ArtAttack. He makes dubstep, so I'll make dubstep". Make it more of a challenge than that. What chords/keys do I tend to use? Which beats do I like to emphasize? What kind of drums/instrumentation do I pick? That kind of thing. And as another idea, we could post our Youtube videos without the name of the person we're emulating, then we can go around and guess who it is during the sync-listen!
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Circuitfry » 07 Aug 2011 18:04

I like the emulation idea. It's spontaneous, tricky, and fun. I dunno about the whole guessing the remixer idea, though. I probably wouldn't do that, myself.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby FoozogzPepperBrony » 07 Aug 2011 18:26

Circuitfry wrote:I like the emulation idea. It's spontaneous, tricky, and fun. I dunno about the whole guessing the remixer idea, though. I probably wouldn't do that, myself.

If we go with the emulation idea, we should be assigned randomly to someone with a different style.
I think guessing the remixer sounds...hmm, idk
DAW: Ableton
HELLO, OLD FRIENDS~
FoozogzPepperBrony

Postby MichaelA » 07 Aug 2011 18:30

FoozogzPepperBrony wrote:
Circuitfry wrote:I like the emulation idea. It's spontaneous, tricky, and fun. I dunno about the whole guessing the remixer idea, though. I probably wouldn't do that, myself.

If we go with the emulation idea, we should be assigned randomly to someone with a different style.
I think guessing the remixer sounds...hmm, idk

I think you should choose. You can't emulate someone if you just started listening to them.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Interrobang Pie » 07 Aug 2011 19:35

Collab again then. Find someone and do a genre swap with them.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Makkon » 07 Aug 2011 19:39

That'd be pretty sweet.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Alex S. » 07 Aug 2011 21:34

i like the genre swap idea.
DAW: Ableton 2
VSTs and Stuff: Cookies and Milk.
Alex S.

Postby Makkon » 07 Aug 2011 22:11

Anything we can do to get people to try new things. I wonder if we can somehow incorporate the genre swap with emulating another brony's style. Are those essentially the same thing? Like Artattack said, it's really not.

Any ideas?

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Whitetail » 07 Aug 2011 22:19

Well the only way to ensure people try something out of their comfort zone is to have someone pick it for them, maybe assign every entrant another and they have to choose the challenge for them?

Sort of like a mixer mingler challenge thing
Whitetail

Postby Makkon » 08 Aug 2011 00:00

I'm not a fan of taking away peoples choice. Given what we've seen this fandom produce so far, I have full confidence that they will deliver when challenged (at least most of them). If we ask them to do something out of their comfort zone, I know they will, or at least darn well try.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 08 Aug 2011 05:33

By 'genre swap', I meant the emulation, yes. Should have worded it better, but at the same time 'emulation swap' doesn't really make any sense.

I also thought about having one-way super secret emulations a possibility as well. So if Twilight emulates Applejack, that doesn't immediately lock out Twi and Apple for any further emulations - Dash could come in and emulate Twi without doing a swap (ie. Twi has no idea that she's being emulated). Also, Twi and Apple could each go on to swap with another musician as well. It all bubbles down to being in a similar sort of fashion as the RWIII challenge, only with less contact needed.

Of course, the hardy ones among us will be able to emulate without studying any of the source files.

Also, you don't need to start learning whatever it is the other person uses - it's a musical emulation after all, and in most cases there are different ways of going about the same technique. Besides, from a listening perspective, nobody should give a shit about what DAW is used for a song.

EDIT: STYLE SWAP. Finally, a nice catchy name for it. No idea why that took so long to think of.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Andy Feelin » 08 Aug 2011 06:54

The only problem I see in "style swap" is that many of us have just provided 1 or 2 tracks - that is not enough to learn about their style.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 08 Aug 2011 07:17

Andy Feelin wrote:The only problem I see in "style swap" is that many of us have just provided 1 or 2 tracks - that is not enough to learn about their style.

That is why I am making something right now!!!!!
Interrobang Pie

Postby MichaelA » 08 Aug 2011 10:59

Andy Feelin wrote:The only problem I see in "style swap" is that many of us have just provided 1 or 2 tracks - that is not enough to learn about their style.

You don't need more then 1 track to emulate a style.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Versilaryan » 08 Aug 2011 12:03

Then you have people like me churning out all sorts of different kinds of music. >.>
Versilaryan

Postby ArtAttack » 08 Aug 2011 12:09

I believe that instead of replacing the collab option, we ADD the collab option along with whatever challenge we choose for the war. Because collabs end up producing some of the most epic and unique stuff I've ever heard out of this fandom.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby AgileDash » 09 Aug 2011 03:52

Hey all Just informing you all that I probably wont be returning to the Remix wars Due to technical problems (my laptop got fried and i lack a DAW to use now so im screwed) Im sorry for posting this here but just though i would let you all know. ; ; Im so mad right now...
We all just want to live the "Simple Life"
AgileDash

Postby catmilly » 09 Aug 2011 07:30

AgileDash wrote:Hey all Just informing you all that I probably wont be returning to the Remix wars Due to technical problems (my laptop got fried and i lack a DAW to use now so im screwed) Im sorry for posting this here but just though i would let you all know. ; ; Im so mad right now...

My condolences. Computer death is one of the most feared occurrences in the life of the modern composer. I've lost my hard drive a few times and it truly is the deepest cut. TBH I am still recovering from last September when my extensive audio software setup was reduced to Garageband and a cracked copy of FL Studio 8 with none of the built in sample packs BUT THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME.

I wish you a swift recovery!
catmilly

Postby Circuitfry » 09 Aug 2011 15:21

Versilaryan wrote:Then you have people like me churning out all sorts of different kinds of music. >.>
Ooh, I know the solution to this problem! I am the same way, but I have a preferred style that I like to don. I usually use hardstyle-like drums but with four-on-the-floor house rhythms and synth solos. In fact, I'm going to go make a thread for this right now!

AgileDash wrote:Hey all Just informing you all that I probably wont be returning to the Remix wars Due to technical problems (my laptop got fried and i lack a DAW to use now so im screwed) Im sorry for posting this here but just though i would let you all know. ; ; Im so mad right now...
D:

This is why I use Linux. Anything could happen to my computer's hardware, but as soon as I'm back up on my feet I want my software back. Since the software is free, I never have to worry about being unable to produce music. You could always do recordings like Versilaryan's acapella cover of Giggles or use an instrument but I dunno wkljakjg that's pretty rough luck. :C

HERE WE GO.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Interrobang Pie » 09 Aug 2011 17:31

If a person does multiple styles, just pick the one they're most famous for/they've done most often/your favourite one.
Interrobang Pie

Postby UnderpΩny » 10 Aug 2011 08:53

Damn :(
Something similar happened to me, but at least I'll be able to use the computers at college when I go back after summer.
UnderpΩny

PreviousNext

Return to Remix War