Remix War V ?

Remix War V ?

Postby Freewave » 10 Feb 2012 11:26

This forum began with the Remix Wars series and people remixing and collaborating on each other's tracks. Now people seem to be splitting into various side projects and fundraisers (balloon party, smile, bronycon, etc) but mostly working on their own material. It would be nice to have brony musicans actively working with each other again as part of that project continuing. Is there any interest in a fifth remix series or is that dead in the water? :cry:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Remix War V ?

Postby bartekko » 10 Feb 2012 11:40

Makkon wrote:Hey Bartekko,

Remix War is a summer event, so you can expect them to be back up near the end of May or the start of June. Thanks for asking! :]
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Freewave » 10 Feb 2012 12:10

ah ok. weird but oh well. guess we need something to do during the off-season / school out.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Pickslide1992 » 16 Feb 2012 12:30

When I'm done with my Balloon Party stuff, I might give this a fair shake.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby IndustrialBreeze » 25 Feb 2012 21:23

If I'm not completely dissatisfied with the results of my Balloon Party submission (tba), then I will likely partake in this as well.
IndustrialBreeze

Postby colortwelve » 25 Feb 2012 21:47

At any rate, it's a great opportunity for people like me who've yet to have their name anywhere but their own subsites.

Not to mention an opportunity to remix some of my fellows' best stuff, and to kill time during one of my first empty summers in... Hell, I dunno. Some big number.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Facexplodie » 27 Feb 2012 17:31

I very much look forward to the summer months then... *stoked*
"Its been said
Long time ago
You'll be the first
And last to know"
Facexplodie

Postby Senjan » 28 Feb 2012 14:46

I've considered this, and I think I'll give this a spin! Once I get all my other projects complete, that is :)
I love music, and this show. I hope that my stay here will inspire others just as you inspire me.

My SoundCloud where I upload my previews: http://soundcloud.com/senjan-1
My Youtube where I upload my full songs: http://www.youtube.com/user/Senjan
Senjan

Postby Rainbowdutch » 08 Mar 2012 13:34

Why is everyone talking about participating?
Bartekko clearly said that it will a couple of months before there will be any talk about the remix wars
Rainbowdutch

Postby Evdog » 04 Apr 2012 05:12

I'm in!
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby bartekko » 04 Apr 2012 05:42

GUYS. NO NEED TO SAY THAT YOU'RE IN WHEN THERES STILL LIKE TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE EVENT IS EVEN ANNOUNCED. ALSO ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS EVERYONE WILL BE TAKING PART IN IT. AND I REALLY WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF LIKE, 200 SONGS GET MADE. BECAUSE REMIX WARS ARE LIKE BIGGER TOASTBEARDS.

Sorry for allcaps, but I cba to rewrite everything using correct english.
bartekko

Postby natsukashi » 28 Apr 2012 06:04

Because we are EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby skrullz(terraween) » 03 May 2012 06:29

BUT I WANT TO DO IT NOA :D
skrullz(terraween)

Postby Evdog » 03 May 2012 20:42

Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Postby Versilaryan » 04 May 2012 01:52

I'm also really curious how this will work out. The last Remix War, very few of us staked it out until the bitter end, mostly because there was... What, five hours of music? Something like that.
Versilaryan

Postby bartekko » 04 May 2012 12:33

Let's also not forget that remix war was originally meant to give bronies more music to listen, when right now, the amount of brony music is mindblowing, and we don't really need another
remix war
bartekko

Postby Fimbulin » 04 May 2012 14:28

ALSO ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS EVERYONE WILL BE TAKING PART IN IT.

^ this, and

I REALLY WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF LIKE, 200 SONGS GET MADE. BECAUSE REMIX WARS ARE LIKE BIGGER TOASTBEARDS.

^ We should have a small committee dedicated to making sure that only top notch songs are used to start the remix wars. Maybe compile a list to start things out with and go from there? That might make it easier to handle all the content and make sure that everything is produced with excellence.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby colortwelve » 04 May 2012 17:52

bartekko wrote:Let's also not forget that remix war was originally meant to give bronies more music to listen [to]

Maybe I was mislead by virtue of me not being so deeply into the community last summer as this summer, but I was under the impression that it was to give the musicians something to do while waiting for S2 (although what you mentioned was a byproduct which I enjoyed immensely).

As for how me would go about it this time, it's obvious that we might want to take after Circuitfry and implement some sort of quality control (it pains me to say, but I only have 11 tracks from the first RW (all four rounds) that I enjoyed so much as to keep them on my iPod). Not so much in the spirit of making it a contest, however - simply an ear open to filtering out troll entries and tracks that sound like nowhere near enough work was put in.

That said (and even with the assumption that quality control = I don't make it), I'm as impatient as the rest of you for Round V to begin. However, if the suggestion of making a sort of asset pack consisting of stems of a selection of great brony tracks (but, might I add, please none that have been over-remixed, like FTNLR and Rainbow Factory :lol: ) is to go through, I understand that this would take some time. Hell, maybe we'll only have time for one round, but with our numbers, that might be all that's necessary.

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby UnderpΩny » 26 May 2012 09:36

bartekko wrote:
Makkon wrote:Hey Bartekko,

Remix War is a summer event, so you can expect them to be back up near the end of May or the start of June. Thanks for asking! :]

I'm vibrating in anticipation. Literally vibrating. It makes my voice sound silly.
UnderpΩny

Postby Evdog » 26 May 2012 23:56

Is there any possible way that I can request a song (specifically "Daniel Ingram -Sound Issues") to be put up for remixing when it happens? Or are there already tracks that have been chosen? Or are there only certain artists being remixed? I don't really know how it works.
Evdog

Postby Makkon » 27 May 2012 00:17

Guys, I'll be honest, I have no idea how we're going to do Remix War V.

Here's why.

Last summer there were two main reasons why we started the Remix War:
1). To give bronies more pony music to listen to (because back then, there wasn't very much at all). Sync parties were maybe 45 entries max, with quality control.
2). to give bronies something to be excited about while we waited for season 2.

Things have changed DRASTICALLY since then.

We now have plenty of music to listen to, so much that' it's coming out of our nostrils. We also have PLENTY to do during the summer, because there's tons of other projects going on, content being pumped out like crazy, etc.

If we were to do another remix war, we'd be getting entries in the 200s. No one is going to sit through that in a sync party, and if we had a strict quality control, that's a TON of entries to go through. Releasing an album of that size won't interest people. Trust me. People will take quality over quantity any day, and wading through a 200+ track album is pointless.

I'm open to ideas. Please, discuss.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby bartekko » 27 May 2012 00:23

limit amount of entries to 1/person
bartekko

Postby colortwelve » 27 May 2012 00:59

bartekko wrote:limit amount of entries to 1/person

This doesn't change the fact that we have a metric fuckton of musicians who would get in on this.

I can totally see where Makkon's coming from; maybe last summer, when we weren't so self-organizing, it was necessary (and, of course, this site exists because the RW demanded it), but the way things are now, a huge project will spawn out of some random idea someone has - Balloon Party, Lesser Knowns, the Collabortion, basically everything but the RW, the Toastbeards, and the Charity Albums are ideas that are snowballed into big events. Even non-serious threads, like 100% Modern Talking, have turned into fairly large things just by virtue of how many of us there are and how much initiative we tend to take.

That said, if we really, really wanted to do another Remix War, if not for anything other than to give the newer members of the forum a chance to participate in what's practically a legendary event, I'd have to propose the following:

-Make it one round only, because more than that would be a nightmare to organize and release.
-Gather a definitive list of participants before the event starts.
-Arrange a tentative schedule that breaks the participant list into groups, so that each group has a different deadline (the tracks would be released in waves as if it were multiple rounds, but this would alleviate the stress of combing through 200+ tracks all at once, and if possible sorting the groups by average song completion time would give everyone an amount of time they feel most comfortable with).
-No challenge track, just one remix. No use in wasting one's energy on multiple entries that may all end up being mediocre when focusing on one will make it more likely to be really good, and it'll be easier on the quality-control system.
-Again, quality control. No need to sit down and review each track for its artistic merits, just filtering out troll songs and obviously rushed entries.

However, all of this in itself requires a good deal of coordination and administration, so much so that I think if Makkon explained the difficulty to everyone, nobody would really be too upset if RW5 never happened.

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Rainbowjack » 27 May 2012 03:05

How about you make it so artists have to submit an entry form with stuff like who they are and what kind of music they'll be doing etc, and make it they can only submit these in a set timeframe, then spend the next week sorting them into equal, similar groups, those groups can be round one.

For round two, get the best four of each group to go through to be in another contest still in groups of four and there can be one winner from each group.

Round three will just be the winners from round two battling it out to find a final winner.

There are two ways you could do all of this, one way is to make it so only one entry can be made throughout the whole contest and the other is that each round a new remix has to be made, that way each time is different so it gives more chance of winning or losing.

Thoughts?
I like music /)*(\

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rainbowjack
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RainbowjackMusic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rainbowjack1
Skype Name: rainbowjack12598
Rainbowjack

Postby Fimbulin » 27 May 2012 03:29

I think the big shots (eg.. makkon, gen mumble, dr dissonance and the like) should make a fresh track to start things off, that ways there are 0 troll entries starting the competition.

If someone could keep track of the submissions and post them in a list under the main track somehow, that would simplify things and keep things orderly. (except for the person handling the list)

Could we have one competition per main track, and close with the author's favorite remix or the highest voted track taking first place, and if people want to dispute it they can unofficially keep remixing amongst themselves to their heart's content?

Hm... so many ways to do this competition.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Next

Return to Remix War