"The Stanley Parable" Narrator Soundboard/Audio Clips

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

"The Stanley Parable" Narrator Soundboard/Audio Clips

Postby archaephyrryx » 22 Mar 2014 16:29

This might be an odd, even ridiculous request, but I am looking for vocal clips from the narrator in "The Stanley Parable" as part of a concept music track I am thinking about. Does anypony either have such a thing, know where such a thing could be found, or know of any reason why this is impractical? Thanks.
A poet strangely obsessed with writing lyrics
Work on parodies and (free but credited) commissions
archaephyrryx

Re: "The Stanley Parable" Narrator Soundboard/Audio Clips

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Mar 2014 22:34

If you download the game/demo, you can find the sound files in "Program Files > Steam > SteamApps > common" and folders for all the games you have downloaded are right there.

However, I did some browsing and it looks like some games will almost do something like "compiling" sounds into file types that only certain programs can open (BIK files seem to be the most popular). You'll need to do some researching on programs that can extract sound files from these compressed file types or whatever. I did very minimal research. Some indie games don't though. Kerbal Space Program just has the sound files easy to grab and stuff.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Injustrial » 23 Mar 2014 15:24

If all else fails, turn all the volume sliders down, except voices, hit record in your Audacity and start playing...
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby archaephyrryx » 24 Mar 2014 05:28

Thanks for all of the advice. I did download the demo, and all of the narrator's clips from the demo are right there in sounds/narrator_demo. I was just wondering whether anyone out there who happened to have The Stanley Parable proper could somehow post the contents of the sounds/narrator folder in some fashion, so that I could use the full narration track instead of the demo one. Otherwise, I will use what I have.
archaephyrryx

Postby Injustrial » 24 Mar 2014 08:46

That would probably fall under the illegitimate file sharing policy of this forum, so I can't post it.
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Mar 2014 15:29

Buying the full version would be an idea. Besides, if you play the demo you may like the game. And then it's a bonus.
itroitnyah

Postby archaephyrryx » 23 May 2014 15:49

Hello everyone,

I bought the game and now have the audio files, and I would like for any advice for how to go about naturally integrating the narration into a song. I have enough files that going through each and every one of them to find good clips is impractical, and I would also like advice on techniques for creating a 'glitchy' splicing/mixing effect, as in GaugeN's remix of Beyond Her Garden or Omnipony's remix of Loyalty (both are below for reference).

Thanks for the help so far. I hope to actually make a finished product, but I am just starting out and can use practically any help at all. General advice on composition and mixing is also appreciated. If there are any questions or if my description is too vague, let me know, and I will try to clarify.
archaephyrryx

Postby itroitnyah » 23 May 2014 22:27

The way to get just plain speaking into your song is to mix it in well. Light reverb to keep it from standing out (unless you want it to be the main attraction to your song), some compression if you need to limit the dynamic range, some sidechaining on whatever you find is conflicting with the lyrics in the mix, and compose around the vocals. You can open the speech up in a program like Newtone to get a good idea of the pitch, maybe change up the pitch a bit to get them more on notes you can compose around, whatever. There's a lot of things you can do to get the speech to fit into the song, it's just a bit complex because it takes a slightly different skill set to work with than what you normally experience with an acoustic song.

For glitching and splicing vocals, you can use Edison (or something similar) to pick out the vowel sounds or any other slight snippets that sound good glitchy, and then use Newtone to slam them to either the nearest note in the scale and just use something like slicex to just load up all the spliced samples so that you can compose them all in one piano roll, or if you want more freedom to compose with the splices, snap them hard onto a middle C note, then open up them up in samplers and mess with the envelope and timings and stuff so that you get the splice you want and you're all set.

Forgive me if anything is confusing, it's late and I'm tired. If you need more in depth I can help you when I get back on or if somebody else gets here before I do.
itroitnyah

Return to Sharing is Magic