Senator Myth's Sheet Music

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Senator Myth's Sheet Music

Postby Senator Myth » 05 Jul 2011 20:29

A while back Overkillius (or James, whatever he would like to be called) asked for sheet music for Sweet Apple Acres. It was quite an adventure figuring out how to do that, but I managed. And if I ever need to post any more sheet music (or original MIDIS or something), I'll use this thread for that purpose.

So I'm really bad at reading sheet music. But it looks accurate to me, if a little messy. If anyone has any tips or anything transcription-wise, I'm all ears. I just let Finale do the work for me and deleted the percussion tracks and stuff. Enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34051870/sweetappleacres.pdf
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Re: Senator Myth's Sheet Music

Postby Overkillius » 05 Jul 2011 22:10

THANKS. If it is ever too much work in the future just disregard me. I usually want sheet music for unimportant reasons.

I just let Finale do the work for me and deleted the percussion tracks and stuff.

What exactly do you mean by this?
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby Senator Myth » 05 Jul 2011 22:35

Overkillius wrote:What exactly do you mean by this?

What I mean is that I loaded the MIDI file into Finale and didn't mess around with the notes or anything. If I had the expertise, I might have adjusted for my idiosyncratic desyncing of stuff (by which I mean making instruments come in inperceptibly early or late to add realism. There's probably an actual term for that but I don't know it.)

I deleted the percussion track because I doubted you were interested in it, and the Timpani track only gets used at the end. Also deleted the tracks that didn't have any notes on it that were used for Reason devices. And by every instance of "track" in the preceding paragraph I think I actually meant "staff."

Also, it really wasn't any big deal. I wanted to figure out how to do it anyway, and as I said, it was more of an adventure than a chore. :D Now that I have it set up it should be a cinch in the future.
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby Overkillius » 06 Jul 2011 00:08

Senator Myth wrote:What I mean is that I loaded the MIDI file into Finale and didn't mess around with the notes or anything.

YOU CAN DO THAT?!

Trying to figure that out right now.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Overkillius » 06 Jul 2011 00:19

Never mind. I just opened a midi file in finale. I MUST look into this. surely there has got to be an interesting way to use this.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby penguindf12 » 13 Jul 2011 22:54

Senator Myth wrote:So I'm really bad at reading sheet music. But it looks accurate to me, if a little messy. If anyone has any tips or anything transcription-wise, I'm all ears. I just let Finale do the work for me and deleted the percussion tracks and stuff. Enjoy!

Ick! This is nigh-unreadable. I seriously doubt there were septuplets and 32nd-notes audible in the music. No offense meant, of course!

I've transcribed a lot of things "in my day" (young'un!), and direct-MIDI-ripping rarely works super-great. The best thing to do is develop an ear on your own, and write it out yourself. You can use MIDI to help, but don't rely on it. OR - read up on notation 'how-to's' online, then re-arrange the MIDI transcription so that it makes sense. Try showing it to a professional musician. (Trust me, if you showed this as it is, you would get some REALLY ugly faces). ;)

Remember, computers rarely do anything right!
penguindf12

Postby Overkillius » 13 Jul 2011 23:56

penguindf12 wrote:
Senator Myth wrote:So I'm really bad at reading sheet music. But it looks accurate to me, if a little messy. If anyone has any tips or anything transcription-wise, I'm all ears. I just let Finale do the work for me and deleted the percussion tracks and stuff. Enjoy!

Ick! This is nigh-unreadable. I seriously doubt there were septuplets and 32nd-notes audible in the music. No offense meant, of course!

I've transcribed a lot of things "in my day" (young'un!), and direct-MIDI-ripping rarely works super-great. The best thing to do is develop an ear on your own, and write it out yourself. You can use MIDI to help, but don't rely on it. OR - read up on notation 'how-to's' online, then re-arrange the MIDI transcription so that it makes sense. Try showing it to a professional musician. (Trust me, if you showed this as it is, you would get some REALLY ugly faces). ;)

Well I kind of heard a weird swing in this piece, but yah, normally you would probably write it as a straight rhythm or a dotted rhythm and say there is a swing. I have seen pieces written with dotted rhythms but it then says at the bottom of the page that it was actually to be preformed as quintuplets. You can still use it in music, but you generally would get weird looks if you actually wrote it that way
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Postby Senator Myth » 14 Jul 2011 00:16

Overkillius wrote:
penguindf12 wrote:

Well I kind of heard a weird swing in this piece, but yah, normally you would probably write it as a straight rhythm or a dotted rhythm and say there is a swing. I have seen pieces written with dotted rhythms but it then says at the bottom of the page that it was actually to be preformed as quintuplets. You can still use it in music, but you generally would get weird looks if you actually wrote it that way

I thought Overkillius was more interested in the harmony with the string quartet I had going on actually. But even though I know it looks bad, you have to remember that I mentioned I'm really horrid at reading sheet music. So much so that I don't even know really what Overkillius just said about rhythms and quintuplets.

You have discovered my Achilles' Heel. That heel is sheet music, the reading and writing thereof. And I don't really know how to go about learning it either. I think I sort of missed the window on that one; I doubt there are going to be any suitably introductory courses at college. :(
-Nietzsche
Senator Myth

Postby penguindf12 » 14 Jul 2011 00:26

Senator Myth wrote:You have discovered my Achilles' Heel. That heel is sheet music, the reading and writing thereof. And I don't really know how to go about learning it either. I think I sort of missed the window on that one; I doubt there are going to be any suitably introductory courses at college. :(

Bah! Three-fourths of my heroes couldn't read a note of music. And it's never too late! It just takes time, patience, and effort. Just go to your music department and ask! Or a local community-type organization. But of course it's not really necessary to learn, so don't feel pressured unless you just really want to!
penguindf12

Postby Overkillius » 14 Jul 2011 04:20

penguindf12 wrote:
Senator Myth wrote:You have discovered my Achilles' Heel. That heel is sheet music, the reading and writing thereof. And I don't really know how to go about learning it either. I think I sort of missed the window on that one; I doubt there are going to be any suitably introductory courses at college. :(

Bah! Three-fourths of my heroes couldn't read a note of music. And it's never too late! It just takes time, patience, and effort. Just go to your music department and ask! Or a local community-type organization. But of course it's not really necessary to learn, so don't feel pressured unless you just really want to!

what penguindf12 said stands mostly true about sheet music being un-necessary (in the sense that if you want to write Mozart style, you probably aren't going to be able to get anywhere by listening to it... at least in my case that is true... it seems like everything that crazy man did was the simplest thing in the world until you tore it apart and looked at it. to be honest a lot of the things he did that receive so much praise for are indeed the simplest things in the world... excellence through simplicity). There usually is a course for learning sheet music. It isn't going to be theory 1, but I think even I could teach you sheet music. (you would have to be willing to sing and or play piano, because I don't know how to teach instrumentalists.)
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius

Return to Sharing is Magic