Musicians Needed For Website

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Musicians Needed For Website

Postby CartsBeforeHorses » 31 Jul 2013 17:55

I am currently in the process of creating a new website featuring popular, established, as well as up-and-coming artists, including musicians. It's my goal to write journalistic quality articles as well as conduct interviews with some of the brightest stars in our fandom.

Currently, the musicians section of the website is blank, but hopefully not for long! Feel free to get in touch with me for any musicians that I should feature.

http://fimfandom.com
CartsBeforeHorses

Re: Musicians Needed For Website

Postby Alycs » 31 Jul 2013 18:14

You might want to talk with Freewave. He already has a pretty solid website set up for cataloging the entire brony music fandom, and he could probably help you a lot.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 19:40

Well, your site has potential, but don't expect us to all be volunteering at once. We sorta have a cynical outlook on promotional sites like these because we've seen them start up and fail really quick. Just know that if we say something negative about the site, such as "It will probably last two weeks before fading into a corner of the internet", it isn't directed towards you personally, so don't take it personally. Although because this is more of an all-around-the-fandom site, it may get farther than the many brony music promotional sites we've seen around here.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 20:00

itroitnyah wrote:Well, your site has potential, but don't expect us to all be volunteering at once. We sorta have a cynical outlook on promotional sites like these because we've seen them start up and fail really quick. Just know that if we say something negative about the site, such as "It will probably last two weeks before fading into a corner of the internet", it isn't directed towards you personally, so don't take it personally. Although because this is more of an all-around-the-fandom site, it may get farther than the many brony music promotional sites we've seen around here.

CartsBeforeHorses is a friend of mine IRL, and he kicks ass.

Don't be such a fucking wet sandwich jesus.
Last edited by DerpyGrooves on 31 Jul 2013 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 20:02

It doesn't matter how much ass he kicks, he's gunna have to put work into the site. I also never blatantly said that it would fail, I said that it has potential, but that a lot of people here on mlr are cynical about promotional websites.
itroitnyah

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 20:17

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:It doesn't matter how much ass he kicks, he's gunna have to put work into the site. I also never blatantly said that it would fail, I said that it has potential, but that a lot of people here on mlr are cynical about promotional websites.

uh yeah and that's cool, I'm just saying you're totally a huge wet sandwich

He's just saying that people might be reluctant to join up. No need to be a dick about it.

So what, exactly, does that have to do at all with the topic of the original post? Apart from wet sandwiching, obviously.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 20:18

k
itroitnyah

Postby Alycs » 31 Jul 2013 20:22

Well, as any website on this kind; it will require a certain level of community participation to get off the ground to sponsor interviews and fill out the database. However, there have been so many attempts at this kind of archival and blog-type site, but so many have crashed and burned that its hard to get many people excited.

Thats why I suggested he talk to Freewave. He already has a very solid archive going, and it will help the site immensely to have that foundation before even going on full release. People tend to not put effort into things they don't think will work, and with so many examples of failed experiments, its hard to get people enthused about another one.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Magnitude Zero » 31 Jul 2013 20:23

DerpyGrooves wrote:wet sandwich

This might be my new favorite phrase. :lol:

Alycs wrote:You might want to talk with Freewave. He already has a pretty solid website set up for cataloging the entire brony music fandom, and he could probably help you a lot.

Agreed. We've got a pretty solid list of musicians and it's growing every day. Freewave's also got ideas for a new directory for visual art that you might want to talk to him about.

Also, don't be turned off by the criticism around here. These guys are a bit blunt sometimes but they mean well.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 20:26

Magnitude Zero wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:wet sandwich

This might be my new favorite phrase. :lol:

Alycs wrote:You might want to talk with Freewave. He already has a pretty solid website set up for cataloging the entire brony music fandom, and he could probably help you a lot.

Agreed. We've got a pretty solid list of musicians and it's growing every day. Freewave's also got ideas for a new directory for visual art that you might want to talk to him about.

Also, don't be turned off by the criticism around here. These guys are a bit blunt sometimes but they mean well.

+1 super advisable, you guys are seriously awesome.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Nine Volt » 31 Jul 2013 20:28

Regarding the OP:
I think you could just link to BMD from your musicians tab or whatever. Or ask Freewave or something. IDK, nothing personal but I don't see this getting very far unless you have a lot of help from a lot of people (no matter how much ass CartsBeforeHorses kicks, DerpyGrooves). A directory of all the major people in each aspect of the brony fandom could be kinda useful for some people.

Also, this should be in Sharing is Magic or Community.
Nine Volt

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 20:54

Nine Volt wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:So what, exactly, does that have to do at all with the topic of the original post? Apart from wet sandwiching, obviously.

Don't hide behind the "this is off-topic" bullshit when someone calls you out on being a dick. itroitnyah was perfectly on topic and if anyone derailed the thread you did by calling him a wet sandwich.

Woah excuse me, but on the topic of el sando wetto, his original post had patently nothing to do with the topic. Shit son.

Nine Volt wrote:Regarding the OP:
I think you could just link to BMD from your musicians tab or whatever. Or ask Freewave or something. IDK, nothing personal but I don't see this getting very far unless you have a lot of help from a lot of people (no matter how much ass CartsBeforeHorses kicks, DerpyGrooves). A directory of all the major people in each aspect of the brony fandom could be kinda useful for some people.

I'm honestly stunned that brony musicians are so cavalier to naysay shit that's been around for literally less that half a week. Like EQD is so great? Like they've done right by the brony musicians?

I think it's time, honestly, for a blog that truly honors and celebrates the people that make this fandom great. Is that too much to ask? A forum by which brony musicians can do more than just have songs featured, but have themselves featured as if they were actually human beings that matter or something.

+1 probably not the correct forum, all things considered.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Nine Volt » 31 Jul 2013 21:09

DerpyGrooves wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:So what, exactly, does that have to do at all with the topic of the original post? Apart from wet sandwiching, obviously.

Don't hide behind the "this is off-topic" bullshit when someone calls you out on being a dick. itroitnyah was perfectly on topic and if anyone derailed the thread you did by calling him a wet sandwich.

Woah excuse me, but on the topic of el sando wetto, his original post had patently nothing to do with the topic. Shit son.

Itroitnyah's first post in this thread was directly related to the topic of the thread.

Nine Volt wrote:Regarding the OP:

I'm honestly stunned that brony musicians are so cavalier to naysay shit that's been around for literally less that half a week. Like EQD is so great? Like they've done right by the brony musicians?

I'm not a brony musician. I don't make music related to MLP and I don't even watch the show anymore.

But still, it's not the fact that it's been around less than half a week. It's the fact that we've seen so many promotion networks and sites like this crash and burn (or rather crash and be severely burned in the ensuing fire and slowly die of its burns in about a month or two) that most of us don't have too much of an optimistic outlook on things like these.

I think it's time, honestly, for a blog that truly honors and celebrates the people that make this fandom great. Is that too much to ask? A forum by which brony musicians can do more than just have songs featured, but have themselves featured as if they were actually human beings that matter or something.

We don't need a new MLP forum, but I think that blog idea could work.

+1 probably not the correct forum, all things considered.

At least there's something we can agree on :)
Nine Volt

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 21:15

Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about forum in the context of "internet forum", I meant a forum of free discussion, and was referring to the blog, haha.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Nine Volt » 31 Jul 2013 21:18

Ah, gotcha.
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 31 Jul 2013 21:43

Honestly i see nothing in this thread that makes it so it HAS to be locked (after deleting some name calling and moving it to a better subforum). I will say its important to do your homework on who we are and what it will take to get a successful fansite going as 90% will fail and pretty qucikly. Mlr is well known for challenging half thought out ideas and that's not a disservice tbh so please do not resort to name calling if people don't flock to your ideas. I don't see anything on the link that honestly looks that promising or that shows that people will run to read it or want to be on it, but of course i welcome any site where people will put forth an effort week after week, prove us wrong, and highlight the community. Good luck and please keep the tone of this thread a little more civil next time guys.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 21:58

DerpyGrooves wrote:I'm honestly stunned that brony musicians are so cavalier to naysay shit that's been around for literally less that half a week. Like EQD is so great? Like they've done right by the brony musicians?

I would like to refer you to:

Monsterbrony Media

MiAmore Media

Brony Media

EFK

Equestrian Reverb

These 5 promotion sites/blog thingies come to mind when I think of "brony" and "promotional" together. EFK and Monsterbrony Media fell because they didn't know what they were doing, for the most part. Brony Media fell because, while they had a plan and team, they only had a faint idea of what they were doing. MiAmore Media and Equestrian Reverb had the largest chances of getting anywhere and yet they too fell into a corner of the internet Although Equestrian Reverb got a bit farther than the "usual". They knew what they were doing and had plans to get big. If you'll follow along with what I'm saying, it has nothing to do with Equestria Daily being the villain because they sometimes like to suck the popular brony's dicks, it has to do with EqD being there from the very start, and it's what bronies are used to and know and are familiar with. Moreover, because of their popularity, they have a shitload of content submitted to them every day, something that doesn't happen to many blogs. So while I may have a cynical outlook on CartsBeforeHorses's website, I'm not telling him to give up, I'm trying to tell him to work his ass off.

And before I go, because I know that you're either implying it or it's going to spring up, Equestria Daily doesn't owe brony musicians diddly squat, so don't fucking talk shit about them.

Edit: Lul, glitch posted after a thread was locked, wat
itroitnyah

Postby CartsBeforeHorses » 31 Jul 2013 22:00

You all might be misunderstanding the aim of my website. I do NOT aim to create a website in which simply every brony musician known to the fandom is cataloged. Because that already exists, and that's what Wikis are made for. The word "archive" or "collection" never appears once in my website or original post here, and I apologize if you ever thought that was my intention. I also focus on more aspects of the fandom than just music, as you'll know if you visit the site.

I aim to write a blog of journalistic quality articles, write reviews, and conduct interviews with Bronies in the fandom who are actively making music as well as artwork, fanfics, arts/crafts, videos, etc. Part of the reason I am doing this is because of the paucity of musician representation on EQD, which right now is the number one news site. Wouldn't it be nice to have a place to post your work that cares about all aspects of the fandom, not just artwork and fanfics where music is simply added as an afterthought?

You'll notice I have a "musicians" tab, and I intend to keep it there, and hopefully I can write articles and conduct interviews on up and coming musicians. Right now I have none, and that's why I came here.

Will my website wither and die like many of you say it will?

Yes, but only if I don't have content to post. I need people to write about who are making good music and are up and coming in this fandom. All it takes is an hour of your time. Hell, you don't even need to give me an interview, just PM me that you want me to highlight you on the blog and I will. It literally will take five seconds of your time. What have any of you got to lose?
Last edited by CartsBeforeHorses on 31 Jul 2013 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
CartsBeforeHorses

Postby the4thImpulse » 31 Jul 2013 22:04

itroitnyah wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:I'm honestly stunned that brony musicians are so cavalier to naysay shit that's been around for literally less that half a week. Like EQD is so great? Like they've done right by the brony musicians?

Monsterbrony Media

MiAmore Media

Brony Media

EFK

Equestrian Reverb

These 5 promotion sites/blog thingies come to mind when I think of "brony" and "promotional" together. EFK and Monsterbrony Media fell because they didn't know what they were doing, for the most part. Brony Media fell because, while they had a plan and team, they only had a faint idea of what they were doing. MiAmore Media and Equestrian Reverb had the largest chances of getting anywhere and yet they too fell into a corner of the internet Although Equestrian Reverb got a bit farther than the "usual". They knew what they were doing and had plans to get big. If you'll follow along with what I'm saying, it has nothing to do with Equestria Daily being the villain because they sometimes like to suck the popular brony's dicks, it has to do with EqD being there from the very start, and it's what bronies are used to and know and are familiar with. Moreover, because of their popularity, they have a shitload of content submitted to them every day, something that doesn't happen to many blogs. So while I may have a cynical outlook on CartsBeforeHorses's website, I'm not telling him to give up, I'm trying to tell him to work his ass off.

And before I go, because I know that you're either implying it or it's going to spring up, Equestria Daily doesn't owe brony musicians diddly squat, so don't fucking talk shit about them.

Edit: Lul, glitch posted after a thread was locked, wat

Well said.

It's the harsh reality but it is what it is, these blogs haven't asked the question if this is really what the people (bronies) need. EQD, as said, has been here since the start, everyone knows it exists and everyone knows what to expect. It also, for the most part, seems to satisfy the majority of the listeners you'd be needing to change over to your website.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 22:05

itroitnyah wrote:

Monsterbrony Media

MiAmore Media

Brony Media

EFK

[b]Equestrian Reverb

I've worked with EQD, I've been on EQD, and I can tell you explicitly that EQD consistently treats musicians as second class citizens in just about every facet of the operation. If you think that's an equitable distribution of attention, please do feel free to your opinion, however, you really shouldn't have a little conniption fit when people call them out on their bullshit.
DerpyGrooves

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 22:10

CartsBeforeHorses wrote:You all might be misunderstanding the aim of my website. I do NOT aim to create a website in which simply every brony musician known to the fandom is cataloged. Because that already exists, and that's what Wikis are made for. The word "archive" or "collection" never appears once in my website or original post here, and I apologize if you ever thought that was my intention. I also focus on more aspects of the fandom than just music, as you'll know if you visit the site.

I aim to write a blog of journalistic quality articles, write reviews, and conduct interviews with Bronies in the fandom who are actively making music as well as artwork, fanfics, arts/crafts, videos, etc. Part of the reason I am doing this is because of the paucity of musician representation on EQD, which right now is the number one news site. Wouldn't it be nice to have a place to post your work that cares about all aspects of the fandom, not just artwork and fanfics where music is simply added as an afterthought?

You'll notice I have a "musicians" tab, and I intend to keep it there, and hopefully I can write articles and conduct interviews on up and coming musicians. Right now I have none, and that's why I came here.

Will my website wither and die like many of you say it will?

Yes, but only if I don't have content to post. I need people to write about who are making good music and are up and coming in this fandom. All it takes is an hour of your time. Hell, you don't even need to give me an interview, just PM me that you want me to highlight you on the blog and I will. It literally will take five seconds of your time. What have any of you got to lose?

Super well put, Carts.
DerpyGrooves

Postby the4thImpulse » 31 Jul 2013 22:12

DerpyGrooves wrote:I've worked with EQD, I've been on EQD, and I can tell you explicitly that EQD consistently treats musicians as second class citizens in just about every facet of the operation. If you think that's an equitable distribution of attention, please do feel free to your opinion, however, you really shouldn't have a little conniption fit when people call them out on their bullshit.

Obviously every musician wants to be treated like gold, and yes I would love to send my music to a blog, like yours, and be treated well and get tons of fans. But why I won't support you is because you have no traffic, and very likely will never reach anywhere near what EQD offers. They have all the people, as a musician I would rather deal with them (which isn't difficult really) and have my music in front of their crowd.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 22:14

Hm, I thought Freewave locked this thread, he even said so. Anyways, I'd consider going up for an interview, but I'm not in the poniponi scene anymore. I sorta view it as a dying part of the fandom (I'm very cynical about the fandom, I know), and I also felt restricted by what I could make in the way of poni musicks.

You all might be misunderstanding the aim of my website. I do NOT aim to create a website in which simply every brony musician known to the fandom is cataloged. Because that already exists, and that's what Wikis are made for. The word "archive" or "collection" never appears once in my website or original post here, and I apologize if you ever thought that was my intention. I also focus on more aspects of the fandom than just music, as you'll know if you visit the site.
I could never understand where Alycs and Magnitude Zero got the idea that you were archiving a list of musicians from. I think it may have to do with when Alycs mentioned that you should quote="You might want to talk with Freewave. He already has a pretty solid website set up for cataloging the entire brony music fandom, and he could probably help you a lot." sorta implying that you could go to the archive that Freewave has set up and find some musicians to interview from there.

I've worked with EQD, I've been on EQD, and I can tell you explicitly that EQD consistently treats musicians as second class citizens in just about every facet of the operation. If you think that's an equitable distribution of attention, please do feel free to your opinion, however, you really shouldn't have a little conniption fit when people call them out on their bullshit.
Just because you were part of the EqD team doesn't mean you deserve any more respect from them than we do. Just remember that EqD isn't a community project or blog, it's a blog that Seth set up and has given the keyword here privilege to a select other group of people in assisting him with the load of work he's given each day. If Seth and his friends want to treat us as less (possibly because of how we sorta shoved ideas on him back when he created a thread about making changes to the EqD music program), then so be it.
itroitnyah

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 22:22

the4thImpulse wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:I've worked with EQD, I've been on EQD, and I can tell you explicitly that EQD consistently treats musicians as second class citizens in just about every facet of the operation. If you think that's an equitable distribution of attention, please do feel free to your opinion, however, you really shouldn't have a little conniption fit when people call them out on their bullshit.

Obviously every musician wants to be treated like gold, and yes I would love to send my music to a blog, like yours, and be treated well and get tons of fans. But why I won't support you is because you have no traffic, and very likely will never reach anywhere near what EQD offers. They have all the people, as a musician I would rather deal with them (which isn't difficult really) and have my music in front of their crowd.

Uh, to clarify, I have zero functional connection to this blog, at all. That said, if you think EQD's treatment of musicians comes anywhere near to honoring the volume of work they put into the creative side of the fandom, I'm afraid I'll have to beg to differ. EQD is an incestuous, nonobjective disaster.
DerpyGrooves

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 22:31

itroitnyah wrote:Hm, I thought Freewave locked this thread, he even said so. Anyways, I'd consider going up for an interview, but I'm not in the poniponi scene anymore. I sorta view it as a dying part of the fandom (I'm very cynical about the fandom, I know), and I also felt restricted by what I could make in the way of poni musicks.

I could never understand where Alycs and Magnitude Zero got the idea that you were archiving a list of musicians from. I think it may have to do with when Alycs mentioned that you should quote="You might want to talk with Freewave. He already has a pretty solid website set up for cataloging the entire brony music fandom, and he could probably help you a lot." sorta implying that you could go to the archive that Freewave has set up and find some musicians to interview from there.

Just because you were part of the EqD team doesn't mean you deserve any more respect from them than we do. Just remember that EqD isn't a community project or blog, it's a blog that Seth set up and has given the keyword here privilege to a select other group of people in assisting him with the load of work he's given each day. If Seth and his friends want to treat us as less (possibly because of how we sorta shoved ideas on him back when he created a thread about making changes to the EqD music program), then so be it.

Are you honestly blaming Sethisto's dropping the ball on the brony musicians? Oh, if only we would have been nicer, then he'd give us the recognition we deserve. Oh goodness. How very absurd it was to think we could actually change something by requesting basic, fair changes to the treatment of musicians. What idiots we were, sheesh.

The reason I resent Equestria Daily has zero anything to do with my personal belief that they've consistently and actively given brony musicians the shaft, but everything to do with the fact that they expect to be treated as a legitimate journalistic entity but fail to act journalistic in any way. The idea that EQD is just some guy's blog is laughable. EQD is a curated, submission-oriented periodical with a provable bias against brony musicians.

Also, if you think the mlp music scene is dying, what are you doing here?
DerpyGrooves

Next

Return to Sharing is Magic