Musicians Needed For Website

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Re: Musicians Needed For Website

Postby the4thImpulse » 31 Jul 2013 22:41

DerpyGrooves wrote: EQD is a curated, submission-oriented periodical with a provable bias against brony musicians.

DerpyGrooves wrote: if you think EQD's treatment of musicians comes anywhere near to honoring the volume of work they put into the creative side of the fandom, I'm afraid I'll have to beg to differ. EQD is an incestuous, nonobjective disaster.

I'm not going to argue about any of that being true or not (and please don't argue about it, this thread will be locked if it turns to a bash EQD thread). EQD has what musicians want first and foremost: followers; people to listen to our work, they have a lot of em too. I just send them my track and if it gets on then great, if not I can try again or just keep making music.

Until you have a semi successful website in complete working order I don't need to hear about all your 'ideas' on how its going to be so much better than what we have (EQD). Every other promotional/blog site did everything you are doing now and each one has 'failed' at being all that.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 22:48

the4thImpulse wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote: EQD is a curated, submission-oriented periodical with a provable bias against brony musicians.

DerpyGrooves wrote: if you think EQD's treatment of musicians comes anywhere near to honoring the volume of work they put into the creative side of the fandom, I'm afraid I'll have to beg to differ. EQD is an incestuous, nonobjective disaster.

I'm not going to argue about any of that being true or not (and please don't argue about it, this thread will be locked if it turns to a bash EQD thread). EQD has what musicians want first and foremost: followers; people to listen to our work, they have a lot of em too. I just send them my track and if it gets on then great, if not I can try again or just keep making music.

Until you have a semi successful website in complete working order I don't need to hear about all your 'ideas' on how its going to be so much better than what we have (EQD). Every other promotional/blog site did everything you are doing now and each one has 'failed' at being all that.

Uh, would you believe me if I told you there's a website with all of those things in the topic of this very thread.

Would you believe me if I told you that there was a semi-successful website in complete working order as we speak.

Would you believe me if I told you that.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby the4thImpulse » 31 Jul 2013 23:19

DerpyGrooves wrote:Uh, would you believe me if I told you there's a website with all of those things in the topic of this very thread.

Would you believe me if I told you that there was a semi-successful website in complete working order as we speak.

Ok, I've been really harsh, let me try again...

How do I get featured?
Do I submit stuff to you (like the EQD method) or do I trust you to follow up with me?
I see I can contact you for an interview but no other information as to how the site works.

The site looks very easy to use for consumer, that's great, but it doesn't tell the artist much on being featured in the ways you are featuring them. It seems (at this point) that you feature those who you wish to feature, its not like EQD where I can submit a song and then you can post it or write an article or whatever.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 23:23

DerpyGrooves wrote:Are you honestly blaming Sethisto's dropping the ball on the brony musicians? Oh, if only we would have been nicer, then he'd give us the recognition we deserve. Oh goodness. How very absurd it was to think we could actually change something by requesting basic, fair changes to the treatment of musicians. What idiots we were, sheesh.

The reason I resent Equestria Daily has zero anything to do with my personal belief that they've consistently and actively given brony musicians the shaft, but everything to do with the fact that they expect to be treated as a legitimate journalistic entity but fail to act journalistic in any way. The idea that EQD is just some guy's blog is laughable. EQD is a curated, submission-oriented periodical with a provable bias against brony musicians.

Also, if you think the mlp music scene is dying, what are you doing here?
I wasn't putting the blame, I was making a suggestion. In the thread that sethisto created requesting ideas for changes to EqD's music program, we piled our ideas ontop of him and argued over nothing. Since you seem to have the answer to how EqD should be treating brony musicians, let's hear how you think Seth should treat us.

I don't see why Seth wanting his blog to be treated as a journalistic entity is a bad thing. Of course EqD is a journalistic headquarters of the fandom. Journalism is defined as the activity or profession of writing for newspapers or magazines or of broadcasting news on radio or television, or the product of such activity. Just because he isn't running a professional level site doesn't mean he's less of a journalist. He started the blog and then it grew and submissions for content increased, so he needed more people to help him. He's still in control of the blog. That's why he'll give big musicians big single posts, because perhaps he likes their music, or something. And for the record, I don't see how EqD is treating musicians unfairly, they seem to be doing everything they can without flooding and boring the audience.

You have seriously got to be kidding me. Are you going to start ranting on 9V for being here even though he isn't even a brony? And then are you going to follow up with senntenial? No, just... no. Honestly, just leave this thread. Hit the power button on your computer and go do something else for a while. All that has happened in this thread is you got your panties all up in a bundle by getting over defensive of your friend and started to veer off topic and insult everything you think has done you any wrong that you could marginally claim to be on topic, and now you're on the path to making the insults personal to people on this forum itself.

Uh, would you believe me if I told you there's a website with all of those things in the topic of this very thread.

Could we get a mod to work out a temporary ban on DerpyGrooves? Doesn't have to be super long or anything, just long enough to let this thread go away and DG cool down.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 23:41

the4thImpulse wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:Uh, would you believe me if I told you there's a website with all of those things in the topic of this very thread.

Ok, I've been really harsh, let me try again...

How do I get featured?
Do I submit stuff to you (like the EQD method) or do I trust you to follow up with me?
I see I can contact you for an interview but no other information as to how the site works.

The site looks very easy to use for consumer, that's great, but it doesn't tell the artist much on being featured in the ways you are featuring them. It seems (at this point) that you feature those who you wish to feature, its not like EQD where I can submit a song and then you can post it or write an article or whatever.

Dude, there's a contact us button.

Also I repeat, I am not associated with this website from a content stantpoint at all.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 23:54

itroitnyah wrote:
DerpyGrooves wrote:Are you honestly blaming Sethisto's dropping the ball on the brony musicians? Oh, if only we would have been nicer, then he'd give us the recognition we deserve. Oh goodness. How very absurd it was to think we could actually change something by requesting basic, fair changes to the treatment of musicians. What idiots we were, sheesh.

The reason I resent Equestria Daily has zero anything to do with my personal belief that they've consistently and actively given brony musicians the shaft, but everything to do with the fact that they expect to be treated as a legitimate journalistic entity but fail to act journalistic in any way. The idea that EQD is just some guy's blog is laughable. EQD is a curated, submission-oriented periodical with a provable bias against brony musicians.

I wasn't putting the blame, I was making a suggestion. In the thread that sethisto created requesting ideas for changes to EqD's music program, we piled our ideas ontop of him and argued over nothing. Since you seem to have the answer to how EqD should be treating brony musicians, let's hear how you think Seth should treat us.

I don't see why Seth wanting his blog to be treated as a journalistic entity is a bad thing. Of course EqD is a journalistic headquarters of the fandom. Journalism is defined as the activity or profession of writing for newspapers or magazines or of broadcasting news on radio or television, or the product of such activity. Just because he isn't running a professional level site doesn't mean he's less of a journalist. He started the blog and then it grew and submissions for content increased, so he needed more people to help him. He's still in control of the blog. That's why he'll give big musicians big single posts, because perhaps he likes their music, or something. And for the record, I don't see how EqD is treating musicians unfairly, they seem to be doing everything they can without flooding and boring the audience.

IMHO, EQD should treat us with a minimum volume of journalistic integrity. It's really cute that you can use a dictionary, but at the same time there are well-defined and long-standing principles of good journalism that EQD continues to either bend or ignore entirely. This has nothing to do with the size of the blog in question, nor Sethisto as a person.

You have seriously got to be kidding me. Are you going to start ranting on 9V for being here even though he isn't even a brony? And then are you going to follow up with senntenial? No, just... no. Honestly, just leave this thread. Hit the power button on your computer and go do something else for a while. All that has happened in this thread is you got your panties all up in a bundle by getting over defensive of your friend and started to veer off topic and insult everything you think has done you any wrong that you could marginally claim to be on topic, and now you're on the path to making the insults personal to people on this forum itself.

You've been absurdly cynical from the get-go friend. Get this- EQD doesn't need you as an apoligist, and if you can't abide by the idea of someone starting a competing site, you may want to rethink your position in the fandom. For someone not participatory in the brony fandom, you sure do seem to have some pretty destructive opinions.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Magnitude Zero » 31 Jul 2013 23:54

DerpyGrooves wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:

I don't think anyone's doubting the functionality of the site. I think it has a lot of potential, but so did all those other record labels and news/promotion blogs that barely lasted a week. We've seen a lot of sites just like this pop up but they all die off as quickly as they come simply because they're not getting the views they need to sustain themselves. EQD might not be the "best" in terms of quality content and organization, but they sure as hell rake in views for those who get featured there.

So, CartsBeforeHorses and anyone else who happens to be working on the site, how are you guys going to combat that? You've got some really well done interviews on there, and I don't doubt that there's more quality content on the way, but who's going to see it? How are you going to advertise your website so that it gives artists more incentive to submit their work there as opposed to a website like EQD that guarantees a boost in popularity when/if their work is featured?

And please try not to get upset about this. Like we've been saying, there have been a lot of sites very similar to this one that just don't last long at all. Really, we all want to see something like this succeed, and we would love to help it do so, but we've had our hopes dashed so many times at this point that some skepticism is only natural. Take our criticism, harsh as it may be, as helpful advice rather than us trying to shoot down the idea.

itroitnyah wrote:Could we get a mod to work out a temporary ban on DerpyGrooves? Doesn't have to be super long or anything, just long enough to let this thread go away and DG cool down.

I don't think that will be necessary.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby CartsBeforeHorses » 01 Aug 2013 00:34

I can't promise you the volume of exposure that EQD has, at least not right off the bat. However, I CAN promise you fairness, integrity, and transparency.

I CAN promise to treat you and your work with proper due respect. Though I can not promise error free writing, as no one is perfect, I CAN promise to correct any and all errors that may arise (as they are bound to, even in the most professional organization) and to post said correction for all to see.

I CAN promise to listen to your concerns, and respond to outstanding issues in a timely manner.

I CAN promise that my articles will be free of wanton over-speculation, gossip, fanboyism, worship, or gushing.

I CAN promise to treat all people the same and give them all an equal chance. I will not violate my own standards simply because someone happens to be popular.

It is our intention to support and recognize the musicians of the fandom, as well as the music they create. Ultimately I think if we come together, this could be something properly amazing, but I can't do it without your help. I need all areas of the fandom in on this.

I have journalistic news articles written based off of official Hasbro press releases.
I have the support of fanfic writers.
I have the support of crafters.
I have the support of artists.
Now I need the musicians. Will you stand up and help me make this a place for you?

As for contacting me for an interview, the website offers a "contact us" feature, and any discussion related to the interview can take place through e-mail. I am also on FimFiction as well as Skype. It's not hard to find me.
CartsBeforeHorses

Postby LoreRD » 01 Aug 2013 02:22

It seems to me that people are just giving up because of the fact that it's not always a successful idea, instead of there actually being a problem with the team behind it. The website looks great and really well thought out. You guys honestly have nothing to lose by supporting it in some way. I'm usually a pretty cynical guy, but COME ON. Last I checked, starting up a new news blog or such was just about never a guaranteed success and you guys are instantly responding with doomsday cries.

The bigger problem with the earlier blogs (not MiAmore and EQR as much) was that the team behind it were really vague and some of them had posted stuff without the permission of the creator. THAT'S a legitimate complaint and problem. "It's been tried before".... yeah and look at EqD. Given the right circumstances, the idea can work really well. Stop being so incredibly cynical when there's just nothing to worry about. It's not like us musicians at MLR are investing money into the blog. There's just about no risk for us. And if you're leaving the fandom or not in the fandom) then why is this any of your concern? It's not like you'll ever submit anything.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Nine Volt » 01 Aug 2013 02:25

LoreRD wrote:It seems to me that people are just giving up because of the fact that it's not always a successful idea, instead of there actually being a problem with the team behind it. The website looks great and really well thought out. You guys honestly have nothing to lose by supporting it in some way. I'm usually a pretty cynical guy, but COME ON. Last I checked, starting up a new news blog or such was just about never a guaranteed success and you guys are instantly responding with doomsday cries.

The bigger problem with the earlier blogs (not MiAmore and EQR as much) was that the team behind it were really vague and some of them had posted stuff without the permission of the creator. THAT'S a legitimate complaint and problem. "It's been tried before".... yeah and look at EqD. Given the right circumstances, the idea can work really well. Stop being so incredibly cynical when there's just nothing to worry about. It's not like us musicians at MLR are investing money into the blog. There's just about no risk for us. And if you're leaving the fandom or not in the fandom) then why is this any of your concern? It's not like you'll ever submit anything.

It's just that EQD already fills this niche, and there's already an oversaturation of brony promotion networks. We don't need another generic "promotion network" blog type thing when that niche has been filled 10 times over.
Nine Volt

Postby LoreRD » 01 Aug 2013 02:34

Nine Volt wrote:It's just that EQD already fills this niche, and there's already an oversaturation of brony promotion networks. We don't need another generic "promotion network" blog type thing when that niche has been filled 10 times over.

So? If they build a better website than EQD (which seems to be their ambition), shouldn't that draw some regular viewers? It might not start out great, but who's to say if they can pull it off or not at this stage? They've got decent start (an interview with Foozogz is on the front page).

And the problem with those other ones was that they had just about no updates. EQR has released three songs on their youtube. The last song MIM released was 2 weeks ago. Compare that to EqD's release schedule. Yeah, it's no wonder people didn't stick around for them. DHN is just about the only competitor to EqD, and they've been relatively successful, but keep in mind that they focus way more on news and not the creators. They also update regularly.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby ajbiz11 » 01 Aug 2013 05:16

Alright, time to join the shitstorm...

I skimmed everything, and just kinda wanted to point one thing out (although don't hurt me if I'm just repeating stuff)

From what I see, this is going to turn into a weird morph of EQBeats and Ponyville Live

Ponyville Live, from what I understand, already features artists...and they have quite a standing. They also play tons of new artist's music over their stations, and even their affiliates sites recommend growing artists

EQBeats has a discovery feature, per say, that really allows people who want to find new artists, can look. It also shows the most popular tracks, which seems to be another indicator of what your site aims to do

itroitnyah wrote:9V for being here even though he isn't even a brony?

Also, this is news... :/
Well, I still think he's awesome (as if it was subjective t that...)
https://soundcloud.com/pixelperfectpon3
DAW: FL 11 & Ableton Live 9
Genre: Whatever I feel like!
ajbiz11

Primary: EDM
Cutie Mark: Absolutely Nothing!

Postby Sonarch » 01 Aug 2013 05:51

christ why is this a topic to argue to so passionately about

Anyway, I think the interview articles are a really cool idea, especially when I can read it instead of having to watch some hour-long youtube video just to find it.

But I hate arguments so I'm not going to offer any other opinions :3
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Freewave » 01 Aug 2013 07:15

Well I thought maybe there could be a civil discussion about this blog as there IS a general need for some better community spotlights (interviews, feature acticles, etc) then other sites currently offer but I have to agree the "submit yourself" format for a brand new blog is a pretty silly way to run it. Best of luck.

Locking the thread as this is just a shouting match at this point.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Circuitfry » 14 Aug 2013 09:07

This thread is locked and I am not going to change it, however, I do have a compromise for our OP here. I'll get in touch with him.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Previous

Return to Sharing is Magic