New Guy looking for a Collab

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

New Guy looking for a Collab

Postby PopRocks » 04 Apr 2013 11:00

Hey there, first off thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm new to the whole music fan base part of MLP, so I would like to give it a shot. But I have a slight problem. Although I can record myself, that is all I can do at the moment. :(

So let me list what I am going to need. I am looking for multiple people, two at the most. I need someone to create the music. And I need someone who can sing, rap, and write his/her own lyrics. I have already writen my own lyrics and have decided the song I would like to use. It is gonna be a Cover/Remix of "Monster" by "Meg and Dia" (For a reference of how I want it to sound, here is a video below.)

I'm also open for any changing when it comes to my own lyrics and/or ideas. I want this to be a great learning experience on how to be a great MLP music artist, so by all means give me feed back through out this project. I am literally working from the ground up. So mold me into a great MLP Artist oh Great Ones!

If your at all interested or have some tips to throw at me, feel free to shoot me a message on here, or you can Skype with me. My Skype username should be on my profile.

Thank you again for reading and I hope you have a great day. :)

PopRocks Out!

PopRocks

Re: New Guy looking for a Collab

Postby Viricide Filly » 04 Apr 2013 11:28

1. This is not a good place for introductions, try the introduction topic in the community sub-forum.
2. I assume you're not looking to actually create a piece of pony related music since the song you're wanting all these people to collab with you to cover is non-pony and so you wouldn't really be on your way to becoming a good brony musician because you've failed at obstacle 1: Creating a pony song. Unless the lyrics you've written are pony related, yyeaaahh..
3. If you're wanting to be a brony musician....make the music yourself, okay? Don't go "I NEED SOMEBODY ELSE TO MAKE THE SONG FOR ME SO I CAN PUT SOME LYRICS OVER IT". You won't get far by just doing that.
4. Why did you feel the need to post a pony creator OC
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby Kushy Kallous » 04 Apr 2013 11:40

I ignored your other thread, as that's kinda...- : D Why would you do that?
Anyway!

Welcome to MLR, : ) I see you would REALLY like to get started making music,
and this is a great haven of information and helpful people to guide you, and as you said, mold you into something more that you want to be in the music world. As someone who was just like you when I started, I have learned many'a'thing off hand from reading old threads, and I have made many a friend here as well. ^^ They all made me the rapper I am today.

There are many things to be learned, including finding out what you need to learn.
Experience is a good catalyst for some good learning. As it throws you into the waters leaving you wondering, "Maybe I can do this.. or tweak this.. I wonder if this is possible.." And you learn. =p At least that's how I did it.
But don't ignore the other half, of actually looking up what you're doing. : ) Gotta find a balance.

I would be down to collaborate, hit me up if you get a chance.
I'm still a nobody though! haha.

Also, Viricide ... Was that really necessary? : X
To judge ones intellect seems ignorant in reality.
--
New to everything.
https://soundcloud.com/andy-eivaz/madhouse-for-equines-overdose
<non-pony/pony> I just rap
SoundCloud
YouTube
Kushy Kallous

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Apr 2013 13:18

Kushy Kallous wrote:Also, Viricide ... Was that really necessary? : X
I don't see anything wrong with what he did, it's not like he sent poprocks away.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mischief Max » 04 Apr 2013 13:42

itroitnyah wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with what he did, it's not like he sent poprocks away.

he poses a threat to my rising popularity!
We have to kill him now before it becomes too late!!!!

Haha... anyway, I love to rap, and love working with people, so if you feel like you'd accept me as somebody you'd like to work with, I'm down...

I write my own lyrics
master my own vocals
make my own beats
suck my own dick... what?

(The above statements are 75% true)
Mischief Max

Postby LoreRD » 04 Apr 2013 14:04

Agreed. Viricide, just calm down.

Viricide Filly wrote:1. This is not a good place for introductions, try the introduction topic in the community sub-forum.
2. I assume you're not looking to actually create a piece of pony related music since the song you're wanting all these people to collab with you to cover is non-pony and so you wouldn't really be on your way to becoming a good brony musician because you've failed at obstacle 1: Creating a pony song. Unless the lyrics you've written are pony related, yyeaaahh..
3. If you're wanting to be a brony musician....make the music yourself, okay? Don't go "I NEED SOMEBODY ELSE TO MAKE THE SONG FOR ME SO I CAN PUT SOME LYRICS OVER IT". You won't get far by just doing that.

1. This is actually in the correct subforum as the main topic is "collaboration", not an introduction.
2. Pony matters? Since when? Basically only when specifically creating a pony song, which he never specified. He only said he was planning on becoming a brony musician.
3. That's for the people who are interested in collaborating to work out. Yeah, you probably won't get terribly far by just writing lyrics, but being only interested in writing lyrics wasn't the impression I got. Sounded more like he was limited to specifically doing that. Also, there's certainly no call for CAPS LOCK RAGE here.
4. Is this even relevant? No.

In response to the OP, welcome to MLR! Hope you have fun here and learn more about music production, composition, etc..

When it comes to collaborating with others and having successful ones, it's important to show what you're able to do. Show us an example of your work! Maybe mention what previous experience you've had or if you play any instruments.

Secondly, having a rather inflexible skill set/collab role can very easily hurt your chances of successfully collaborating. It's not always important to plan everything out in the OP, but it helps. Be careful about how you write it as well, right now it's contradictory who's actually writing the lyrics:

PopRocks wrote:And I need someone who can sing, rap, and write his/her own lyrics. I have already writen my own lyrics

So.... who's writing? The rapper/singer or you?
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Apr 2013 14:08

I just noticed that he actually took a picture of his OC with his camera, on his computer screen. Haha, I may have laughed a bit too hard.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Apr 2013 14:16

LoreRD wrote:

Agreed. Viricide, just calm down.

Viricide Filly wrote:1. This is not a good place for introductions, try the introduction topic in the community sub-forum.

1. This is actually in the correct subforum as the main topic is "collaboration", not an introduction.
2. Pony matters? Since when? Basically only when specifically creating a pony song, which he never specified. He only said he was planning on becoming a brony musician.
3. That's for the people who are interested in collaborating to work out. Yeah, you probably won't get terribly far by just writing lyrics, but being only interested in writing lyrics wasn't the impression I got. Sounded more like he was limited to specifically doing that. Also, there's certainly no call for CAPS LOCK RAGE here.
4. Is this even relevant? No.

1. I think he meant to say that the guy should post an introduction in the introduction thread, but he misspoke or something.
2. ...if he says he plans to become a brony musician, that clearly gives off the impression that he wants to make pony related music.
3. No qualms with that. Except that wasn't really CAPS LOCK RAGE though.
4. Of course it's relevant, the guy felt the need to post a picture (taken of the computer screen by his camera, which is admittedly rather funny) of his OC. It's not even his signature, so yes, it's relevant.
Nine Volt

Postby LoreRD » 04 Apr 2013 14:33

Nine Volt wrote:1. I think he meant to say that the guy should post an introduction in the introduction thread, but he misspoke or something.
2. ...if he says he plans to become a brony musician, that clearly gives off the impression that he wants to make pony related music.
3. No qualms with that. Except that wasn't really CAPS LOCK RAGE though.
4. Of course it's relevant, the guy felt the need to post a picture (taken of the computer screen by his camera, which is admittedly rather funny) of his OC. It's not even his signature, so yes, it's relevant.

You're still forgetting that there are no grounds (cover/remix of a non-pony song is not grounds enough, ask him to specify instead of accusing) to assume that he's NOT making pony music either, so I don't even know why it was brought up. And IMO he can post a picture of his OC creator pony if he wants to. I don't particularly care either way. It's still not relevant to the the main topic, which is about a COLLABORATION. You could ask him to keep "visual pony arts" (I use this term loosely in this case) to the Scribbles section of this forum, but otherwise it's pointless to even bring it up, other than to make fun of it. Why would you do that?

Keep in mind that it's not necessarily about specifically you wanting to collaborate with him, it's about others who may be interested in working with him. You can give a few pointers to what could be improved in the OP to attract more people, but that's about all you can do. Tell him "I don't think you needed to post your pony creator OC, it's kind of cliché at this point and can easily get on people's nerves" instead of "why did you feel the need to post a pony creator oc" and
itroitnyah wrote:I just noticed that he actually took a picture of his OC with his camera, on his computer screen. Haha, I may have laughed a bit too hard.
DAW: Logic Pro Studio 9 | VSTs: Komplete 9 Ultimate
Piano Improvisations, Electro-orchestral-alternative instrumentals/remixes, drummer
Youtube | SoundCloud | tumblr
Brony Musician Directory
Thanks to Makkon for the avatar
LoreRD

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Apr 2013 15:08

Alright, fair enough. I'll keep that in mind.

But this is a bit off topic, so let's let this drop and continue being acquaintances, shall we? :)

Regarding the OP, you can simply PM any moderator or admin to move your threads instead of simply duplicating it into a new subforum, it reduces clutter and makes threads easier to follow.

And I agree with what Lore said regarding the pony creator OC, they're cliche at this point and I simply don't see a reason to include it, even in a signature. Just remember that this is not a pony-only community, there's plenty here who don't produce pony related music at all, so don't feel obligated to include ponies for the sake of ponies.

Beyond that, I can't help. Try looking in the tutors thread or in the skype name thread to get an idea of the community, and maybe ask some of them if they specifically want to collab, if you know you want to collab with them. So good luck on your thing!

Oh yeah, a cover is not at all the same as a remix, you might want to clarify which one you're doing specifically in the OP (be sure to use the edit button, some new members don't seem to know there is one).
Nine Volt

Postby PopRocks » 05 Apr 2013 08:49

Thank you all for your tips! :D
I appreciate each and every one of them. I will make sure to make a better add the next time and leave out the stuff that is not needed.

Thank you again everybody. :)
PopRocks

Return to Sharing is Magic