Bowed strings for NI Massive

Post Midis, project files, samples, stems, here. Also great place to request collaboration or specific files/sounds.

Bowed strings for NI Massive

Postby Pewter Robot » 13 Jan 2013 14:27

You may remember my vocal synthesis patch that I uploaded on here a while ago in the music board. Unfortunately I couldn't share that one because there were far too many effects put on the synth. But I made a new patch entirely for NI Massive with no external effects added onto it. So here's the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?g8xdizj0f7nj2ck

Here's an example of what it sounds like (using three different variations of the base patch):
http://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/strings-synth
Pewter Robot

Re: Bowed strings for NI Massive

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Jan 2013 17:14

Ew, they really don't want to sound good together :lol:. As in they sound like they're horribly mixed. And to be honest, the synths themselves don't sound very much like violins, but you did a good job on getting them pretty close. But they do sound like they have potential. A little bit of EQ, reeverb, chorus or flanger, a bit more mixing, and they'd be awesome. Thanks Pewter! I think I may have to use these at one point.

Also, you're back. You were gone for some time, but I suspect you were just hidden and browsing around, never replying or anything. Welcome back.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Pewter Robot » 13 Jan 2013 17:18

itroitnyah wrote:Ew, they really don't want to sound good together :lol:. As in they sound like they're horribly mixed. And to be honest, the synths themselves don't sound very much like violins, but you did a good job on getting them pretty close. But they do sound like they have potential. A little bit of EQ, reeverb, chorus or flanger, a bit more mixing, and they'd be awesome. Thanks Pewter! I think I may have to use these at one point.

Also, you're back. You were gone for some time, but I suspect you were just hidden and browsing around, never replying or anything. Welcome back.

Well I was banned for insulting people, and then I was too lazy to catch up on everything I missed.

And the sound I was going for was the folky violins with poor quality bows, using the drone notes that appear frequently in traditional Celtic and Anglo-Saxon music. Like in the song "The Colour of Three" by Fennesz, and the soundtrack to Dear Esther (except they used actual violins).
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby SticktheFigure » 13 Jan 2013 17:56

I can hear them as low-quality strings, but my first impression was still digitally created sound.
A bit of tweaking though and they'd be perfect.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Return to Sharing is Magic